Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
Exactly what do you want us to do about it? If you're upset WWE isn't canceling him, take it to WWE.

I don't really subscribe to this "Well, it was different back then" bullshit. It's used too often, and it's always crap.
Again.. what are we on this forum supposed to do about it? Post some carbon copy statement that we all want a dead guy erased from history?

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I don't really subscribe to this "Well, it was different back then" bullshit. It's used too often, and it's always crap.

It was "different" back when people have whole black families living in their basement, working for food.
It was "different" back when rock stars fucked underage fans.
It was "different" when men used to routinely beat their wives to "keep them in line"
And it was "different" when men used to "discipline" their children by beating them until they couldn't walk.

Yeah, we can't go around "cancelling" everyone, but what we can do is acknowledge that is was ABSOLUTELY wrong and totally abhorrent for Stu to treat his kids this way, and we can make sure that people these days know that it was wrong. Just saying "Welp, different times" is tantamount to telling people now that "hey, in some circumstances, beating your kids is fine".

[edit]
Stu being a great wrestling trainer is not related to this subject in any way.
In Bret's version of events, he was not being "trained", he wasn't "learning to wrestle". He's talking about times he was "disciplined".
Great post, couldn't agree more. If Stu was trained the same way, being choked out and stretched and basically 'broken' time and time again to toughen up then I can understand him doing the same. That's no excusing his behavior but humans to repeat what was done to them since they don't know any other way.

To go as far as whispering in his kid's ear that 'it's going to be your last breath etc etc' (which Bret has said on his doco and book) is sick and twisted. It's horrible and shouldn't be glossed over.

·
Registered
149 Posts
People saying "it's none of our business". Ok then, shut down every single forum then because unless you're always talking about your own life and NOTHING else then "don't talk about it".

It's pathetic to hide behind "it was a different time". Oh yes, kids got tougher discipline and sometimes a smack. But it was never acceptable to batter your child that they nearly blacked out. Chocking your kid was never acceptable either, so let's not rewrite history.

But it's the Harts. They get to do whatever they want and stay on that pedestal.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Exactly what do you want us to do about it? If you're upset WWE isn't canceling him, take it to WWE.

Again.. what are we on this forum supposed to do about it? Post some carbon copy statement that we all want a dead guy erased from history?
What are we supposed to do? Really?

I'm not talking about cancelling anyone. I'm saying that the abusive behaviour needs to be pointed out and outright stated as being completely wrong. Because as is evident from some of the responses in this thread alone, there are still way too many people that think "smacking" a child is fine, or indeed ANY extent of physical and mental abuse is fine if you "turn out like Bret Hart". (Demonstrably ridiculous - see my previous post).

There's no justification for the abuse that's been described. There's nothing we could - or should - do specifically about Stu Hart. But we should try to make sure that no one NOW thinks that this was fine, or was justified, or the ends justifies the means. Choking your child out as a form of "discipline" is not OK now, and it never has been.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Dude Stu was a catch wrestling artist. He learnt his craft from the one of the most fearsome and best practitioners, Toots Mondt; who learnt his craft from Farmer Burns.

Catch wrestling is REAL pro wrestling and the holds they put on each other in is no different than going through a jujitsu class. Catch wrestling was a legit fighting style and at times beat jujitsu in notable bouts like Gracies vs Sakurba or Gracie vs Kimura. Real catch wrestling is a dangerous brutal style. Catch as catch can meaning anything goes, the early style was brutal then rules came into place and formed the modern pro wrestling as we know it.

If every pro wrestler was taught in the real art of catch wrestling, these mma guys wouldn’t stand a chance against them. Catch wrestling is on a different level, the submissions are mind boggling. Now you got crappy entertainers who think they’re wrestlers, but they are not. They’re just doing moves and going spot for spot. Karl Gotch use to say if people knew catch wrestling then that person could pro wrestle with anyone.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
5 - it is not my business.
[/QUOTE
that kind of talk keeps abusers from getting whats coming to them

Mind your business
Make him! Also, you CCRC and everyone who liked this pig swill are on my ignore list,

I must have the all time record at this point

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
What are we supposed to do? Really?

I'm not talking about cancelling anyone. I'm saying that the abusive behavior needs to be pointed out and outright stated as being completely wrong. Because as is evident from some of the responses in this thread alone, there are still way too many people that think "smacking" a child is fine, or indeed ANY extent of physical and mental abuse is fine if you "turn out like Bret Hart". (Demonstrably ridiculous - see my previous post).

There's no justification for the abuse that's been described. There's nothing we could - or should - do specifically about Stu Hart. But we should try to make sure that no one NOW thinks that this was fine, or was justified, or the ends justifies the means. Choking your child out as a form of "discipline" is not OK now, and it never has been.
I appreciate your sentiment, of course being abusive is wrong and no one should be accepting it. The point is the example of this thread is slightly less than relevant to most of the modern audience. Also most of the people responding to or reading this thread would not disagree with it.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Stu Hart was still a better father than Fritz Von Erich though. Who pretty much didn't care if his sons were on heavy drugs 24/7 as long as they made the next show in Texas and rushed several of his sons back from injury, which caused setbacks in their recovery [Cost Kerry Von Erich part of his foot].

·
Registered
519 Posts
And Bret is a twisted, bitter asshole.
Yep. Story checks out.
Bret has accomplished enough to voice his opinion on other wrestlers, producers and people part of the industry.

You calling him an asshole on the internet, proves that you are the one who is bitter.

Vince said himself in the documentary "That was a true champion. Credibility wise no one comes close."

Yep, go take a shower.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts