Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Quote from Bret's book: "Stu had a temper so fierce that some would consider his corporal punishment child abuse. Too many times I limped around bruised and battered, my eyeballs red and ruptured because of his discipline. On more than a few occasions I thought I was going to die before he was done with me. Often, as I was on the verge of blacking out from some choke hold of Stu’s, he’d huff, “You’ve breathed your last breath.”"

After watching Bret's autobiography I still struggle to understand why Stu is propped up and we don't seriously talk about how sick and twisted the guy was. Is this only because his kids ended up being great wrestlers? If I was to do that to my kid, I would be locked up and deservedly so, but because it is under this weird wrestling umbrella we kind of just accept it. People have been erased from history for much less. Hell, they refuse to acknowledge Fabulous Moolah because of her history of bullying but they have no issue talking about a guy who beat the crap out of his children.
In regards to Stu, most people said he never intended to harm, times have clearly changed, trainers' methods have changed, and so has the shoot-style and stretching style, he was originally trained by someone at the YMCA when he was a kid and that's what he was taught, that's how some in the military trained wrestlers as well back then....but sure, don't blame the Y, don't blame the military.....blame him?. I am not sure if Stu was ever a talent employee of WWE nor have I ever seen them parade him around frequently, so I don't see how you can possibly compare Stu to Moolah, like how the hell are the two even linked when they aren't even correlated?

·
Registered
735 Posts
If his kids aren’t bitching, why are you bitching on their behalf? You’re basing this over two or three sentences from a book over years ago.. Bret doesn’t see it as a big deal now and IIANM his other siblings as well

Seems kinda nosy and intrusive to butt in on a family’s personal relationship especially in a different time and generation.. Its not like you know how every aspect of their relationship worked, or affairs were mended and grown throughout the years. Why chime in if the parties involved didn’t open it up or raise an alarm? Are you really, REALLY concerned or do you just wanna stir some drama and shit?

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Stu and Moolah are completely different.

Stu trained up the wrestlers, gave them a platform to harness their skills and let them move on to the big leagues. It might not have been pretty but his wrestlers achieved great success.

Moolah pimped out her talent to the highest bidder no matter how brutal they were to the women. All she gave a shit about was how much money she could make from her human trafficking shit.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I don't really subscribe to this "Well, it was different back then" bullshit. It's used too often, and it's always crap.

It was "different" back when people have whole black families living in their basement, working for food.
It was "different" back when rock stars fucked underage fans.
It was "different" when men used to routinely beat their wives to "keep them in line"
And it was "different" when men used to "discipline" their children by beating them until they couldn't walk.

Yeah, we can't go around "cancelling" everyone, but what we can do is acknowledge that is was ABSOLUTELY wrong and totally abhorrent for Stu to treat his kids this way, and we can make sure that people these days know that it was wrong. Just saying "Welp, different times" is tantamount to telling people now that "hey, in some circumstances, beating your kids is fine".

[edit]
Stu being a great wrestling trainer is not related to this subject in any way.
In Bret's version of events, he was not being "trained", he wasn't "learning to wrestle". He's talking about times he was "disciplined".

·
Registered
850 Posts
Because it probably is a fact. We can either deny it (seems strange thing to do) or have some kind of "wasn't-stu-hart-a-bastard" analysis.

To achieve what? Some kind of justice or closure for people involved who aren't looking for any?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Was he someone who trained lots of guys and helped shape the wrestling business?

Was he a sadistic SOB who mistreated and abused people?

I'm thinking "Yes" is a correct answer to both of those.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't really subscribe to this "Well, it was different back then" bullshit. It's used too often, and it's always crap.
In a way, you do.

Yeah, we can't go around "cancelling" everyone, but what we can do is acknowledge that is was ABSOLUTELY wrong and totally abhorrent for Stu to treat his kids this way, and we can make sure that people these days know that it was wrong.
This is the biggest takeaway. You have to acknowledge they were "different" times - social norms were different (to be clear, not saying 'good') - AND by modern standards, unacceptable. Even at the time(s), there were objections from pockets of society.

Cancel culture, in general, is ridiculous. Yes, deplorable human beings should not be praised..... but equally, they shouldn't be forgotten either.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat, afterall.

Also:
It was "different" back when rock stars fucked underage fans.
Back then :rolleyes:

And it was "different" when men used to "discipline" their children by beating them until they couldn't walk.
Couldn't walk is the extreme, and should be condemned. But the modern standard of a not being socially acceptable to smack a kid is a bit far. Never did sooo many people any harm, when not taken to the extreme. With so many little brats around these days, majority could do with a good smack from time to time.

·
None. More. Hated.
Tuck Your Chin.
9,406 Posts
Some wrestling fans accept anything about a wrestler they like.

Warrior was a straight up homophobe

Austin was a wife beater

Benoit killed his whole family

But since they can wrestle, it is all peachy.

I don't know many who "accept" Benoit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bret Hart is 63 years old. So if he was training Bret in his early team years we're talking about something 50+ years ago and to view things from that long ago through today's lens just doesn't work on most issues.

1. Stu Hart is dead and gone
2. Your memory as a child is also not always exactly accurate. I remember thinking my dads pickup truck in 1992 was huge. It was a Ford Ranger. I suspect some of Bret's stories are like fish stories in that regard (afterall, it was in his book that he was selling for a profit).
3. Are there any accounts of him seriously hurting anyone or killing anyone?

·
Banned
16 Posts
In the fullness of time I wonder how many decent wrestlers have been pushed out of the industry before they even got started by Stu Hart and others insisting on hurting being part of the training.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
I don't think anyone is trying to "erase" or "cancel" or "forget" Stu Hart.

The very premise that this thread is based upon is a big stretch already. People aren't talking about Stu Hart. People don't care. We are only discussing it because OP brought it up! If he was the kind of guy that beat his kids - and this IS the way he is portrayed by at least one of them - then all we want to point out is that THAT ISN'T GOOD.

We've had everything in this thread from "forgetting makes us bound to repeat history" to "YEAH. ALL kids need a good slap sometimes! Didn't do ME any harm!" (apart from ending up thinking that it's fine to hit children, obvs).

But what it comes down to is that really, Stu's legacy is already sealed. He is known for being the father of a Dynasty and a great trainer and promoter. These facts aren't affected in my mind, by new facts about his behaviour as a father. I don't cancel people. I think the whole concept is ridiculous.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts