Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote from Bret's book: "Stu had a temper so fierce that some would consider his corporal punishment child abuse. Too many times I limped around bruised and battered, my eyeballs red and ruptured because of his discipline. On more than a few occasions I thought I was going to die before he was done with me. Often, as I was on the verge of blacking out from some choke hold of Stu’s, he’d huff, “You’ve breathed your last breath.”"

After watching Bret's autobiography I still struggle to understand why Stu is propped up and we don't seriously talk about how sick and twisted the guy was. Is this only because his kids ended up being great wrestlers? If I was to do that to my kid, I would be locked up and deservedly so, but because it is under this weird wrestling umbrella we kind of just accept it. People have been erased from history for much less. Hell, they refuse to acknowledge Fabulous Moolah because of her history of bullying but they have no issue talking about a guy who beat the crap out of his children.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different time.
Sure...But different time to me is more like a dad who spanked his children or maybe a slap here and there. I don't think this kind of torture was ever really accepted. But it is under the "training" category so people seem to think that it was ok. Sure, I get that getting your kids ready for that lifestyle is something very unique. However he seemed to go pretty freaking far with it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Bret likes to put on a show so I wouldn't be surprised if he is exaggerating. He probably got the same ass whoopings that I got when I fucked up.

·
The Babyface of WF
Defying the role dynamic
17,138 Posts
So the saying goes tough love and different mindsets, Stu put his students through hell to ready them for their profession even some screaming in pure agony but it's his drilling nature that sets him apart from other trainers.

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
5,431 Posts
Quote from Bret's book: "Stu had a temper so fierce that some would consider his corporal punishment child abuse. ...
Some would and most people would not. Bret getting some pain from the hard training sessions was no surprise.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Different times, they had different ways of discipline where used back then especially when it came to large family's in poor backgrounds. The hart boys where wild, the shit some of them got up to was crazy and it no wonder if Stu resorted to the punishments he did to try get them on the straight and narrow. Did he go over and was he sadistic? I'd say so at times, especially if choking them out like Bret wrote in his book happened (im sure some of it exaggerated by Bret to make a better read), but ultimately they all still loved their dad which says something. No one I've heard has praised Stu for any off this, they just focus on his willingness to help out any wrestler that came to his door and how his training helped them out eventually.

And shit no matter what he did, he no where near as bad as Grizzly Smith!

Reactions: jpickens

·
Premium Member
No one is ready for Konami
3,308 Posts
The way he trains or punishes his children is not our business. That's his family.. It's not like he was a child molester like Grizzly Smith.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts