Wrestling Forum banner

Who is stuck in the past?

• Tony Khan (by hiring in 2020 masses of old names from the previous century)

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • Jim Cornette (with his kind of thinking)

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • Both (in different ways)

Votes: 21 28.4%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somebody told me this morning, that Cornette himself asked this question, when AEW signed 61 years old Sting (Quote Cornette) "to do what??". To bad, if we think about that, there is something strange going on in AEW.

Tony Khan hires all these old people from the wrestling-past. So he does exactly the stuff we blamed WWE for: instead of building up new stars, he puts the money on names from the past, which got serious problems with inring action. If Sting would be the first one, who cares, but the list of these old names keeps growing and growing. I never understood why Tony Khan hired Bret Hart or Ric Flair just to present something, or putting old people (like Arn) backstage or (like Vickie Guerrero) on manager roles. Signing other old folks like Snoop just completes the collection.
Sure, names like DDP, Matt Hardy, Jake Roberts or many others are nice to have, but that are too many. The company already started with Jericho and Dustin Rhodes and put names like Tommy Dreamer, Billy Gunn, etc. out there at the start.

We are in 2020 and Tony Khan still hires masses of names from the 80s or 90s. So maybe Cornette is not the only one being stuck in the past? If Tony Khan goes on like that with his collection, he will buy Vince`s corpse in few years from Stephanie for 10 billion dollars. :D

What do you think?

·
The optimistic Asuka fan
6,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huh?

just look at the roster filled with below 30s and you’ll know the answer
Exactly. Filled with below 30s. Sad we have to mention, that in a wrestling company "below 30s" are hired. :(

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
More Khan because he’s having to rely on old stars to try bring more eyes into the product.

Cornette is just trying to present wrestling in a real and authentic way. To make sense. You don’t see Cornette having much problem with New Japan as he describes them as the last vestiges of the glory days. Back when wrestling was presented as a sport. Cornette even praises Rock and Hogan as a 5 star match, one of the greatest matches that had excellent storytelling. His problem is with indy video game flip flopping bullshit with no psychology and done for no reason.

The stars of today can’t make a simple move over. Hogan did a simple Leg Drop, Rock did the People’s Elbow and those moves alone got the crowd wild.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Somebody told me this morning, that Cornette himself asked this question, when AEW signed 61 years old Sting (Quote Cornette) "to do what??". To bad, if we think about that, there is something strange going on in AEW.

Tony Khan hires all these old people from the wrestling-past. So he does exactly the stuff we blamed WWE for: instead of building up new stars, he puts the money on names from the past, which got serious problems with inring action. If Sting would be the first one, who cares, but the list of these old names keeps growing and growing. I never understood why Tony Khan hired Bret Hart or Ric Flair just to present something, or putting old people (like Arn) backstage or (like Vickie Guerrero) on manager roles. Signing other old folks like Snoop just completes the collection.
Sure, names like DDP, Matt Hardy, Jake Roberts or many others are nice to have, but that are too many. The company already started with Jericho and Dustin Rhodes and put names like Tommy Dreamer, Billy Gunn, etc. out there at the start.

We are in 2020 and Tony Khan still hires masses of names from the 80s or 90s. So maybe Cornette is not the only one being stuck in the past? If Tony Khan goes on like that with his collection, he will buy Vince`s corpse in few years from Stephanie for 10 billion dollars. :D

What do you think?
This is simply not true. Is AEW pushing these old names to the top of the card like WWE? Are these old guys keeping AEW from building new stars? The only "old" guy getting any type of push is Jericho who has fallen down the card and put over young talent the last few months. Sting hasn't done anything but is clearly being used to elevate Darby. Jake is helping Archer. Tully is helping FTR. Arn is helping Cody. Taz is helping Cage/Starks. Dustin is a midcarder. Dreamer and DDP haven't done anything. Billy Gunn is in a jobber tag team with his son. Matt Hardy should have lost to Sammy but other than that he's still a midcard guy. AEW are using old guys to help create/guide new stars, which is exactly what should be done.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,164 Posts
Not sure what the issue is.

This isn't real sports where old playes tend to be on the decline. This is wrestling, where old well known names do what wresters are supposed to do. Make money.

Until Sting is going over their young stars and heading into their biggest events of the year as world champion. There isn't a problem.

I do admire some people though. I've heard numerous times on here and numerous threads that the new generation haven't got a single thing on the old generation. Cannot draw like the old generation. Wrestling isn't as good as it used to be in 'my day' - so when one of the best draws of his generation signs for a company and generates buzz, it's somehow an issue.

Just enjoy what you enjoy man. Fuck.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
people saying Cornette is stuck in the past either dont really listen to what he has to say or they do but they just dont get it. which is not hard to believe seeing how many of them believe wrestlers have never been better than they are today. Cornette just like many of us likes when wrestling is done the right way and hates stupid shit. unfortunately there has never been more wrestlers than they are today who do stupid shit. so thats that. Khan is just a money mark.

·
Registered
639 Posts
people saying Cornette is stuck in the past either dont really listen to what he has to say or they do but they just dont get it. which is not hard to believe seeing how many of them believe wrestlers have never been better than they are today. Cornette just like many of us likes when wrestling is done the right way and hates stupid shit. unfortunately there has never been more wrestlers than they are today who do stupid shit. so thats that. Khan is just a money mark.
This might be a weird complaint, but I can't stand listening to his podcast anymore just because of how bitter he can be, even when he likes something it sounds like he is complaining. What an ass.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,164 Posts
This might be a weird complaint, but I can't stand listening to his podcast anymore just because of how bitter he can be, even when he likes something it sounds like he is complaining. What an ass.
Cornette loves AEW ;)

He just loves money more and he knows shitting on it gets him viewers, subscriptions and money in his pocket.

Can't fault his business mind.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Cornette.

Sure, Khan has hired a lot of old guys. But apart from Dustin, and maybe Sting, they keep to managerial roles and are not given that much spotlight.

Cornette has never, ever been able to fully move on from the oldschool wrasslin days of the territories. To this day I bet he still considers the pre-Vince Mcmahon era the pinnacle of pro wrestling.

·
Registered
6,519 Posts
I love Cornette and agree with a lot of his opinions, but it's definitely him.

·
Registered
32,149 Posts
Everybody is stuck in the past, because folk miss when wrestling was cool and relevant. Folk can hate on Cornette, but to some degree they know he's right. I mean why else do you think people marked so hard for Sting, want Cody to secure all these old WCW PPV names, want to tie AEW to WCW so bad, and are foaming at the mouth to put any combination of people in Blood and Guts. Whether your time is the 80s or 90s folk miss those eras clearly.

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
This debut is funny. I think aew utilizes the wide variety in good ways. A lot of the young guys that "get it" are being used plenty amd and on a path to henig stars. Most of the old guys are solid value. You have a business you use who gets you attention. You're a delusional selfish fuck if you dont think stings hire is beneficial. Its not about how old you're but what you get out of it. Stings helping bring attention and people are talking. I dont see a problem. Wwe has been doing this to a large extent because the company is flawed and cant create stars and get people over. Aew is new so it has no draw power yet.

·
Registered
12,572 Posts
Everybody is stuck in the past, because folk miss when wrestling was cool and relevant. Folk can hate on Cornette, but to some degree they know he's right. I mean why else do you think people marked so hard for Sting, want Cody to secure all these old WCW PPV names, want to tie AEW to WCW so bad, and are foaming at the mouth to put any combination of people in Blood and Guts. Whether your time is the 80s or 90s folk miss those eras clearly.

I dont think its we're stuck in tue past but we just want like what you said wrestling that is good and cool. Wrestlers then were legit and people cant get into these nerds. I mean we want what worked and nothing wrong with a lot of people saying meh this aint working.

You look at anything popular its its mostly more bad ass or sexualised. Media pretends sexualizing does not exists but instagrams popularity of insanity and that and movies like the joker proves this

·
Registered
13,585 Posts
I dont think its we're stuck in tue past but we just want like what you said wrestling that is good and cool. Wrestlers then were legit and people cant get into these nerds. I mean we want what worked and nothing wrong with a lot of people saying meh this aint working.

You look at anything popular its its mostly more bad ass or sexualised. Media pretends sexualizing does not exists but instagrams popularity of insanity and that and movies like the joker proves this
What worked in the past necessarily won't work today though. It's not like South Park dramatically changed or you could replicate the success of grunge again if you tried.

You mention legit but how much of Brock Lesnars WWE run from 2012-20 did you watch when he was battering guys into a bloody pulp at times. Nobody has been more legit in this business than Lesnar since days of guys like LeBell yet his title runs didn't do the tv ratings from 22 years ago..

1 - 20 of 80 Posts