Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
I'll take you down the only road I've ever been do
The Icon That Can Still Go
53,653 Posts
Pushing a 40yrs old wrestler to the competition because of his unaffordable contract seems very logical to me, but pushing a 32yrs old out of the top spot just to give it to another 32yrs old with a bad neck, it don't get any more "pathetic" than this.
Well, they did the very same thing to Bret in 1996, so 🤷‍♂️ And like I said, pushing another guy to the competition who is your current Champ, pretty sure that has never happened before.

·
Future Hall of Famer
2,516 Posts
I think to this day Eddie Guerrero (R.I.P) holds the record for the lowest average house show attendance as world champion in WWE.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I think to this day Eddie Guerrero (R.I.P) holds the record for the lowest average house show attendance as world champion in WWE.
JBL is often said to be the one who made the least amount of money since Diesel, but occasionally I see someone saying house show attendance and revenue actually improved a bit during JBL's reign.

But Eddie most likely sold more merchandise than JBL. I doubt JBL sold a lot of merch. So maybe the merchandise sales are what puts Eddie ahead of JBL.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
It was Diesel, who was supplanted by JBL, who was supplanted by Seth Rollins, who has probably been supplanted by everyone since.
Seth drew well during his last title reign.

He outdrew Steve Austin in Dallas and drew a massive house with Strowman for NOC.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,895 Posts
Yikes, thanks for exposing yourself as a huge hypocrite who can't take a different opinion with this TEDIOUS long drivel of a post here.
Pot...kettle...black.

Am I supposed to be impressed with Smackdown struggling to maintain 2 million viewers with Roman Reigns, Sasha Banks, and Bayley supposedly "drawing" those numbers as world champions, or those small bumps for the Raw viewership by The Miz when he was WWE Chanpion but yet still couldn't hit 2 million viewers?
You can be impressed if you want, doesn't bother me.

You're whole gimmick is that the individual wrestlers have zero impact on the ratings, or at least the wrestlers you mark for have zero negative impact on the ratings. SmackDowns ratings are much better with a more entertaining cast on top as opposed to Raw which has been dominated by Drew for the last year with him just demolishing everyone he's worked with.

I acknowledge that wrestlers impact ratings, so seeing Miz as Champion get a nice little bump was enjoyable. Especially when most smarks have flip flopped back to hating the guy and acting like he has no right to be a Pro Wrestler. But within saying that I'll acknowledge part of that was probably just its finally something different.

WWE over the past 6-7 years has been very bland and has only pushed the same tiny handful of people while jobbing out everyone else. These guys like Reigns, Drew, Rollins who all look the exact same as each other and have the same flaws, and the same booking issues where no one ever looks good working with them.

Nobody on the current roster is a big TV draw anymore, so those names should be in the conversation for "worst" drawing world champions (which they shouldn't because ratings will decrease no matter who's holding a world title). It's really pathetic that you just pick and choose who to blame for the low ratings simply because you're STILL pissed off that hardcore fans (wrongfully) blamed company favorites for the decreasing ratings several years ago.
How am I pissed off?

I'm just pointing out that people like you happily blamed the Cena's of the World for the ratings but now refuse to acknowledge that the talents have any impact at all on ratings.

Perect example of hypocrisy.

For the record, I just LOVE how you conveniently ignored Seth Rollins's WWEWHC title reign in 2015 when ratings were still holding up at least 2.5 million viewers (with 3 million viewers at most), but yet you're the one who's "not" an unbiased hypocrite 😂
Its beautiful that you called me a hypocrite here, while proving yourself to be a hypocrite. Cant pin the ratings on the individual talents, but lets praise Seth for having 2.5 million viewers while he was Champ in 2015.

But lets ignore the fact ratings were lower at the end of Seths Title reign than they were at the start...

Your predictable arguments where you pretend I act like "every" wrestler is "superbly" talent still gets a big yikes from me. For the record, yes, Drew McIntyre and Seth Rollins are still pretty good talents overall regardless of your (laughably bad) opinions of them.
My arguments are predictable because everything you say is predictable. Prove me wrong, admit that there's any Wrestler who isnt charismatic or at least good on the mic. You claim that everyone is charismatic and that everyone is good on the mic. Even the people who are incredibly bland, even the people who struggle to display any emotion. You still claim they're charismatic and good on the mic. You cant admit that any of these guys are poor at anything or need to work on anything.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,895 Posts
Excuse me?

Seth never pulled good ratings? Lol, his segments boosted RAW and Smackdown's ratings in 2020. Heck, a Seth Rollins episode of RAW OUTDREW LEBRON JAMES AND THE NBA IN JANUARY OF 2020.

The company never gave Seth a fair shot on top. They booked him terribly and didn't push him as the FOTC. Had they really got behind him and booked him properly RAW would still be drawing over 2 million viewers.
Seth was the FOTC in 2019.

Never change Rollins fans. Still clinging to this idea that WWE has never got behind Seth.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
14,040 Posts
Pot...kettle...black.

You can be impressed if you want, doesn't bother me.

You're whole gimmick is that the individual wrestlers have zero impact on the ratings, or at least the wrestlers you mark for have zero negative impact on the ratings. SmackDowns ratings are much better with a more entertaining cast on top as opposed to Raw which has been dominated by Drew for the last year with him just demolishing everyone he's worked with.

I acknowledge that wrestlers impact ratings, so seeing Miz as Champion get a nice little bump was enjoyable. Especially when most smarks have flip flopped back to hating the guy and acting like he has no right to be a Pro Wrestler. But within saying that I'll acknowledge part of that was probably just its finally something different.

WWE over the past 6-7 years has been very bland and has only pushed the same tiny handful of people while jobbing out everyone else. These guys like Reigns, Drew, Rollins who all look the exact same as each other and have the same flaws, and the same booking issues where no one ever looks good working with them.

How am I pissed off?

I'm just pointing out that people like you happily blamed the Cena's of the World for the ratings but now refuse to acknowledge that the talents have any impact at all on ratings.

Perect example of hypocrisy.

Its beautiful that you called me a hypocrite here, while proving yourself to be a hypocrite. Cant pin the ratings on the individual talents, but lets praise Seth for having 2.5 million viewers while he was Champ in 2015.

But lets ignore the fact ratings were lower at the end of Seths Title reign than they were at the start...

My arguments are predictable because everything you say is predictable. Prove me wrong, admit that there's any Wrestler who isnt charismatic or at least good on the mic. You claim that everyone is charismatic and that everyone is good on the mic. Even the people who are incredibly bland, even the people who struggle to display any emotion. You still claim they're charismatic and good on the mic. You cant admit that any of these guys are poor at anything or need to work on anything.
Where did I even blame John Cena for the low ratings? 😂

Hey, good luck trying to find an older post of mine where I “blamed” someone like Cena for the decreasing viewership because it never happened.

Again, you really need to cool it with the lame strawman arguments.

For the record, you’ll never get me to admit that the individual wrestlers are to blame for the low ratings (when that’s obviously a stupid argument at this point) nor will you ever get me to admit that the current roster is “untalented” and have “no” charisma (when that’s also completely false).

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Seth was drawing close to 4 million viewers weekly in 2015.

No champion has been able to do that since.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
The Rock is the luckiest wrestler in history. He inherited the house Austin built during a boom periods. Hundreds of performers could have done that.

Seth didn't bomb. He drew a bigger house in Dallas than Austin managed in 2002 and set a massive house with Strowman for the NOC PPV. The ratings over the summer for RAW were strong. They would kill for those numbers now.

Not that good? He's one of the best of all time. The best today easily.
1) Rock was NOT lucky!!! He was gaining in popularity and getting bigger pops than Austin some nights while Austin was still there in 1999! If the company lost ground or broke even when Stone Cold was gone for an entire year, you could have had a point. HOWEVER, the company kept going forward and grew in popularity and revenue with Rock on top and Austin gone!!! NO, hundreds of performers COULD NOT have done what Rock did in 99-00!!!! You had to be a special performer to take over for an all time great performer and keep the company ascending and widening the gap over their competition. Name me just 5 of the "hundreds" that could have done that.

2) What Dallas "house" are you talking about??? If you are referring to WM 32, SETH wasn't even on the card!!!!! As for the Strowman thing, that was Charlotte who doesn't get wrestling as frequently as they used to when NWA/Crockett/WCW; was around so they will fill a house.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
1) Rock was NOT lucky!!! He was gaining in popularity and getting bigger pops than Austin some nights while Austin was still there in 1999! If the company lost ground or broke even when Stone Cold was gone for an entire year, you could have had a point. HOWEVER, the company kept going forward and grew in popularity and revenue with Rock on top and Austin gone!!! NO, hundreds of performers COULD NOT have done what Rock did in 99-00!!!! You had to be a special performer to take over for an all time great performer and keep the company ascending and widening the gap over their competition. Name me just 5 of the "hundreds" that could have done that.

2) What Dallas "house" are you talking about??? If you are referring to WM 32, SETH wasn't even on the card!!!!! As for the Strowman thing, that was Charlotte who doesn't get wrestling as frequently as they used to when NWA/Crockett/WCW; was around so they will fill a house.
RAW in Dallas in 2002 drew a bad house with Austin as headliner.

RAW in Dallas in 2019 drew a good house with Rollins as headliner.

Rollins > Austin in terms of drawing power during an industry downturn.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
RAW in Dallas in 2002 drew a bad house with Austin as headliner.

RAW in Dallas in 2019 drew a good house with Rollins as headliner.

Rollins > Austin in terms of drawing power during an industry downturn.
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this site!! With all the financial success and record profits he is making now with a crap product, Vince would be a trillionaire if the company was putting up numbers today like they were in 2002!!!!

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
This is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read on this site!! With all the financial success and record profits he is making now with a crap product, Vince would be a trillionaire if the company was putting up numbers today like they were in 2002!!!!
No.

Seth on top in 2019 and early 2020 was drawing better houses than Austin in 2002.

·
Registered
12,997 Posts
2002 numbers weren't good especially post Mania 18. By end of year they were drawing less than a 1,000 to some houseshows. Here is one report from show in New York area Wrestling Observer - headlines

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
2002 numbers weren't good especially post Mania 18. By end of year they were drawing less than a 1,000 to some houseshows. Here is one report from show in New York area Wrestling Observer - headlines
The guy lost me at "holds 16,200 for hockey...arena holds 1,000-2000...looks to be about 16,000 empty seats". PLEASE!!!! This guy probably drank so much everyone was a blur!!!!

YES, business in 2002 was not what it was from 1998-2001, but business in 2002 was FAR better than 2019-2021!!!!!

BTW, if you read it all the way through, Austin WAS NOT on that card....Brock Lesnar headlined with Big Show!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts