Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah a drawing thread. These are always fun!

By world champion I mean those who won the WWE Championship, the World Heavyweight Championship and the Universal Championship. I personally don't consider the WWECW championship a world title.

So, I think it's pretty unanimous that Diesel was the worst drawing WWE champion of all time. At least I don't recall ever seeing anyone disputing that. So I guess it's practically safe to say he is indeed the worst drawing world champion in the company's history.

But who are the other ones that come right after Diesel? As in, those who complete the top 5/bottom 5?

JBL seems to be often referred to as the worst drawing WWE Champion since Diesel. I could see that. He was a midcarder who suddenly got a gimmick change and about 2 months later was WWE champion and had a 10 month long reign. I mean, that doesn't really scream money, does it? Plus, I don't think he had a lot of merch made.

Is JBL truly the 2nd worst drawing champion in the company's history though? That I don't know. I've seen people claiming Eddie to have been a worse draw.

Surely Shawn Michaels is one of the worst drawing champions ever too? I mean, he was the WWE champion when WCW was kicking WWE's ass in the ratings department. And it's no secret that Shawn Michaels has never been a big draw.

I dunno if any modern day champions are in the discussion. WWE has been a monopoly in the past 20 years. And they're more easily available than ever all over the world. Plus, everyone seems to have a bunch of merch nowadays too. So I'm sure even the worst drawing modern day champions have drawn better than Diesel, JBL and Michaels. Including Jinder Mahal lmao.

So, I'm guessing the top 3 or bottom 3 is Diesel followed by either JBL or HBK.

I wonder how much Yokozuna and Sid drew...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Ok I want to dispute this, not because I'm a fan of the guy but because I genuinely want the insight.. was Kevin Nash as Diesel truly the worst drawing champion ever?
Both he and Scott Hall have stated that the night they left in MSG in 96 was the highest WWF attendance in the garden ever (and I don't know the truth of this). Is he the lowest drawing in terms of ratings or attendance?

Can anyone please draw - no pun intended - the numbers of this?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
HBK was actually a very good draw as champion. House show business was up on the previous year and that was with no supporting cast and competition from the NWO.

With the right booking he would have drawn as much as Austin.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Sycho Sid is up there. His run with the WWF title was irrelevant and WWF almost went out business during that time.
He held the belt for a whopping two months and Michaels was still the focus of the promotion during his reign. Everyone knew that he was getting the belt right back as soon as the Rumble was announced in San Antonio. He was even involved in the outcome of the title match between Sid and Bret at the next PPV.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,760 Posts
No idea. Perhaps. But Drew was champion during a global pandemic. Who would even thrive in such circumstances?
But more people than ever were sitting around at home needing to be entertained...

And SmackDowns ratings have been fairly strong compared to Raw.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ah a drawing thread. These are always fun!

By world champion I mean those who won the WWE Championship, the World Heavyweight Championship and the Universal Championship. I personally don't consider the WWECW championship a world title.

So, I think it's pretty unanimous that Diesel was the worst drawing WWE champion of all time. At least I don't recall ever seeing anyone disputing that. So I guess it's practically safe to say he is indeed the worst drawing world champion in the company's history.

But who are the other ones that come right after Diesel? As in, those who complete the top 5/bottom 5?

JBL seems to be often referred to as the worst drawing WWE Champion since Diesel. I could see that. He was a midcarder who suddenly got a gimmick change and about 2 months later was WWE champion and had a 10 month long reign. I mean, that doesn't really scream money, does it? Plus, I don't think he had a lot of merch made.

Is JBL truly the 2nd worst drawing champion in the company's history though? That I don't know. I've seen people claiming Eddie to have been a worse draw.

Surely Shawn Michaels is one of the worst drawing champions ever too? I mean, he was the WWE champion when WCW was kicking WWE's ass in the ratings department. And it's no secret that Shawn Michaels has never been a big draw.

I dunno if any modern day champions are in the discussion. WWE has been a monopoly in the past 20 years. And they're more easily available than ever all over the world. Plus, everyone seems to have a bunch of merch nowadays too. So I'm sure even the worst drawing modern day champions have drawn better than Diesel, JBL and Michaels. Including Jinder Mahal lmao.

So, I'm guessing the top 3 or bottom 3 is Diesel followed by either JBL or HBK.

I wonder how much Yokozuna and Sid drew...
why not just do a search for the 100 old threads about this same subject

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right how do we judge drawing now? Fans are not allowed so attend ticket sales are off the table. Ratings? Well no one watches TV anymore. Maybe T shirts or merchandise
Yep.

But more people than ever were sitting around at home needing to be entertained...

And SmackDowns ratings have been fairly strong compared to Raw.
But wrestling is hard to watch without an audience. Before you mention real sports, that's a different matter since people watch those to watch their favourite team play and win. Wrestling is a scripted performance, and crowd interaction is a big part of the spectacle. The wrestlers have to engage the audience. If there's no audience, that part of the spectacle is missing and the whole show suffers.

Drew's coronation and biggest moment of his career happened in an empty arena at WWE's performance center. He was coming out to wrestle and cut promos to empty arenas and later to a bunch of computer screens while he was a champion. That's terrible and he was extremely unlucky to deal with such unfortunate circumstances. Who knows how much attendance weekly shows, PPVs and house shows would have gotten with Drew as champion.

·
16,760 Posts
Yep.

But wrestling is hard to watch without an audience. Before you mention real sports, that's a different matter since people watch those to watch their favourite team play and win. Wrestling is a scripted performance, and crowd interaction is a big part of the spectacle. The wrestlers have to engage the audience. If there's no audience, that part of the spectacle is missing and the whole show suffers.

Drew's coronation and biggest moment of his career happened in an empty arena at WWE's performance center. He was coming out to wrestle and cut promos to empty arenas and later to a bunch of computer screens while he was a champion. That's terrible and he was extremely unlucky to deal with such unfortunate circumstances. Who knows how much attendance weekly shows, PPVs and house shows would have gotten with Drew as champion.
I genuinely don't understand any of this, because people like you act like Drew was the only person who had to deal with this. Roman Reigns has done the best work of his entire career under the same circumstances. Edge, Randy Orton, Daniel Bryan, Sasha Banks, Bayley have all done some of the best work of their careers under the same circumstances.

How's it any different for Drew? Why is it an excuse for why Drew is a dud but it hasnt affected anyone else?

Maybe the fact that Drew is just another generic Superhero Babyface with zero personality, zero charisma, zero mic skills and ridiculous booking where he ruins everyone he comes into contact with had something to do with it? Maybe the fact that Drew is mediocre at best at everything had something to do with it.

I just don't understand why its an excuse for Drew that absolves him of all sins when it doesn't affect the rest of the roster.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
RAW was doing well with Rollins as its lead performer in January of 2020.

Vince's decision to push Drew as the FOTC is what tanked the ratings. Sad.

·
16,760 Posts
RAW was doing well with Rollins as its lead performer in January of 2020.

Vince's decision to push Drew as the FOTC is what tanked the ratings. Sad.
LOL.

Ratings were already tanking with Rollins as Champ. Getting lower and lower, Drew just finished it off.

Boyth guys are all time terrible World Champs in every sense.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts