Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's probably been discussed a lot, but it honestly seems so random that they would put him on the air after 10 years of nothing but backstage roles. He had no prestige with the general audience, nobody knew who he was, and he had no charisma to help- carry his character over either. I get that he was obviously well liked up top, which is why he made a fairly quick rise to an executive position, but it really makes no sense that they would suddenly decide that he's the man to be their new heel authority figure. I mean, was there nobody else who could fill that position?

I know Triple H kind of took his job, so did they just decide that since Johnny needed a job, they would throw him on TV for a while?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think they got pissed off by the Cornette shoots on him.
:lol, Seriously though, i was highly surprised when he showed up with Vince around MITB last year.
I have no idea why creative put him on TV, the man has no charisma and is a botch machine on the mic.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
They apparently couldn't find a permanent GM [Thus the whole anonymous GM gimmick] and I guess they eventually figured he would be sufficient since he already works full-time for the company.

Just a hunch.

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Johnny probably brown-nosed Vince backstage like usual, requesting to be on tv and part of something and there you have it.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
Well if we are not forgetting, CM Punk called him out last year during his big promo. As a matter of fact Punk interacted with almost all the guys he called out, Cena, Vince, Triple H, and Ace. I guess it was to turn the promo into a storyline.

·
Recognize
21,378 Posts
They needed to put a face to the name to make Punk's words more effective. When everybody actually got to see Johnny I think Punk's words started to make a lot more sense lol. Also, Triple H has basically taken over his job, his real job on the corporate side of things and finally, I honestly think that Vince gets immense amusement from watching Johnny constantly fuck up so he sends him out there and then pisses himself laughing in the back while he forgets his lines etc. I truly believe that lol. Sounds just like something Vince would do, haha.

·
Registered
21,660 Posts
I think it was a case of Punk mentioning him in that "shoot" which he did. It's never been confirmed, what Punk was told to say and what he ad-libbed but it could very well be a case of them reacting to Punk's mention by inserting him into the Punk-Cena match @ MITB and then the writing team just kept writing new ideas for him, so he stayed on TV. I hope he's off TV soon though because he's just awful, he's a trier but that's about as good of a compliment you can pay him.

·
Custom User Title
15,241 Posts
he wasn't on TV before the Punk promo where he called him a 'doucebag yes man'. He interefered at MITB, so yeah, it was that.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Can't imagine how anyone thought they should go with that. It must be extremely hard to find a competent person willing to play a wrestling show manager on TV long-term.

·
THE ONE.
5,323 Posts
He's had a decent amount of heat on the IWC for a while and when Punk mentioned him during his infamous promo it opened the door to let them bring him on screen to become a Heel Authority figure seeing as Vince had decided to (at that time) not want to do TV anymore and Triple H remaining face.

In all honesty it worked OK when they were just using him as brown noser under Trips but once they pushed the boat further its gotten really bad and hit an alarming low when they switched his main target from Punk to Cena.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
Not sure if people remember but Big Johnny was on WWE TV back in the day, playing a character named "Super Dave".

Honestly, this just makes me believe that Punk's promo was a work all along. I mean, it doesn't matter what he said in interviews about it being a "shoot". This could just be WWE bringing kayfabe back.

I think he was brought in as a way to keep a heel authority figure on TV, because Vince didn't want to appear as often and like the other guy said, it would make sense to feature the guy Punk mentioned in his promo.

·
The Cornerstone Of The Corner Store
3,164 Posts
Not sure if people remember but Big Johnny was on WWE TV back in the day, playing a character named "Super Dave".

Honestly, this just makes me believe that Punk's promo was a work all along. I mean, it doesn't matter what he said in interviews about it being a "shoot". This could just be WWE bringing kayfabe back.

I think he was brought in as a way to keep a heel authority figure on TV, because Vince didn't want to appear as often and like the other guy said, it would make sense to feature the guy Punk mentioned in his promo.
Do people still think Punk's promo was a legit shoot?
Anyway I thought they brought Johnny in so Punk could knock an authority figure out but Vince was too old to take a shot or some shit like that. That's what I read months ago but seeing Vince get knocked out 2 days ago by Big Show it doesn't make any sence lol.

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
Do people still think Punk's promo was a legit shoot?
Anyway I thought they brought Johnny in so Punk could knock an authority figure out but Vince was too old to take a shot or some shit like that. That's what I read months ago but seeing Vince get knocked out 2 days ago by Big Show it doesn't make any sence lol.
I got into a debate some time ago about Punk's promo being a work and they seem to believe that because Punk said in interviews it was a shoot, that means it really was.

To them, kayfabe doesn't exist anymore. But looking back, I don't see it as being shoot, like the one guy said, Punk had an angle with everybody he supposedly "shot" on. And it made since for Laurinitis to be brought in because of that promo and that is what started the Cena/Laurinitis angle.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,744 Posts
They needed to put a face to the name to make Punk's words more effective. When everybody actually got to see Johnny I think Punk's words started to make a lot more sense lol. Also, Triple H has basically taken over his job, his real job on the corporate side of things and finally, I honestly think that Vince gets immense amusement from watching Johnny constantly fuck up so he sends him out there and then pisses himself laughing in the back while he forgets his lines etc. I truly believe that lol. Sounds just like something Vince would do, haha.
Yep this all sounds about right (Y) Specially the part about Vince just sending him out there to laugh at him.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Because Big Johnny is a god on the mic.

·
Banned
6,530 Posts
They should have just turned Hunter heel.

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
oh yeah that so much sounds like Vince :lmao

1 - 20 of 31 Posts