Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not a PG bash thread. I just really wanna hear your guys opinions about this. Its been almost 3 years since the WWE changed the direction of its product(some people may argue they were like this before), so have we seen the WWE grow? Has the WWE lost more fans because of it or has it gained more? Are PPV buys going up? Are we getting more sold out arenas? are ratings going up? I ask this because I honestly don't know and it would be great to see people post real numbers.

TBH though it doesn't seem there are all these kids flocking to the WWE product, which is Im guessing Vince wants. It seems the business is just slowly going down and down, less ratings, less attendance, less ppv buys, etc. Again I don't know real numbers it just seems that way from what I've skimmed over on the internet and what I see people post.

So is it working? Maybe the PGness hasn't settled in yet and we still need to wait longer to see its true effect, maybe the storyliens and the booking is whats keeping it from growing, or maybe people everywhere are just tired of pro-wrestling as a whole, I don't know it just seems like the days of pro-wrestling are getting darker and darker.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
Yes, PG is not a bad thing. Wrestling has always been PG except the time period from 98-mid 00's.

It's nothing new, it's just normal to me. The storylines and characters don't come off as childish like Doink The Clown or Bastion Booger.

PG is cool to me. If you look at the ratings, it's PG-V(for violence) anyway. It's better than the crap TNA is delivering with that Crash TV bullshit.

·
Purebred Powerhouse
5,754 Posts
Is it working? Well, yes.

It's certainly working in the sense that they maintain their audience, they continue to operate a multi-million dollar organization, they turn a profit every year, and they are doing so in a seriously shitty economic environment.

So, yes. They are successful. The PG Era, thus far, is successful. Merchandise sales are still up. New gimmicks, characters, and performers are being introduced, pushed, and utilized. I don't really see how this topic is even arguable, to be honest.

WWE is successful.

However, I think the problem lies in the minds of some of the viewers. This isn't the end of the line. Business works in cycles. Vince is breeding a new base of future customers. Just as I became consumed with wrestling at a very young age, so are a lot of fans today.

Hulk Hogan's Three Demandments may be gone, but John Cena's Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect motto probably applies the same to today's kids.

The bright and colorful characters may come in different sizes, with new names, or behind different faces - but the name of the game remains the same. Vince is catching the kids at a young age, and he's hoping that most of them stick around as lifelong fans.

Can you blame him? It's a proven tactic. And it's not isolated to pro wrestling. The tobacco industry would love to openly employ the same strategy as often as they could.

My only complaint about the PG Era is that it is flawed. It can and will only be so successful, because of its own limitations. Unlike most of the posters here, I'm not nostalgic for another Attitude Era or anything like that. I don't think WWE should go overboard with sexual innuendos, gay jokes, nipple slips, and labeling everyone a "badass" again.

God, that'd probably get me to tune out before any Hornswoggle segment ever would. After about 8 years of seeing "Attitude" run into the ground, I don't know how many more penis jokes I could take.

Instead, I'm just saying that the PG Era limits itself and, by proxy, its own capability for success. People are curious. People want to be intrigued. They want to feel engaged. A good episodic television show will do that. Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Weeds, Rescue Me, and all these highly acclaimed shows share that common trait. They engage the viewer.

PG is about being simple, childish, and cartoonish. It's about being wholesome. It's about, almost above all else, staying family-friendly.

In that sense, it can only go so far. It can only tell so many stories in so many ways. It may be successful, but it will only ever be so successful, due to those restrictions.

It's a PG show. Problem is, we don't live in a PG world. Our society doesn't exist in a PG bubble. Wrestling won't ever strike it big again until it's able to grab pop culture by the pulse again. And you can't do that if you're handcuffed by a PG rating.

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
Is it working? Well, yes.

It's certainly working in the sense that they maintain their audience, they continue to operate a multi-million dollar organization, they turn a profit every year, and they are doing so in a seriously shitty economic environment.

So, yes. They are successful. The PG Era, thus far, is successful. Merchandise sales are still up. New gimmicks, characters, and performers are being introduced, pushed, and utilized. I don't really see how this topic is even arguable, to be honest.

WWE is successful.

However, I think the problem lies in the minds of some of the viewers. This isn't the end of the line. Business works in cycles. Vince is breeding a new base of future customers. Just as I became consumed with wrestling at a very young age, so are a lot of fans today.

Hulk Hogan's Three Demandments may be gone, but John Cena's Hustle, Loyalty, and Respect motto probably applies the same to today's kids.

The bright and colorful characters may come in different sizes, with new names, or behind different faces - but the name of the game remains the same. Vince is catching the kids at a young age, and he's hoping that most of them stick around as lifelong fans.

Can you blame him? It's a proven tactic. And it's not isolated to pro wrestling. The tobacco industry would love to openly employ the same strategy as often as they could.

My only complaint about the PG Era is that it is flawed. It can and will only be so successful, because of its own limitations. Unlike most of the posters here, I'm not nostalgic for another Attitude Era or anything like that. I don't think WWE should go overboard with sexual innuendos, gay jokes, nipple slips, and labeling everyone a "badass" again.

God, that'd probably get me to tune out before any Hornswoggle segment ever would. After about 8 years of seeing "Attitude" run into the ground, I don't know how many more penis jokes I could take.

Instead, I'm just saying that the PG Era limits itself and, by proxy, its own capability for success. People are curious. People want to be intrigued. They want to feel engaged. A good episodic television show will do that. Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Weeds, Rescue Me, and all these highly acclaimed shows share that common trait. They engage the viewer.

PG is about being simple, childish, and cartoonish. It's about being wholesome. It's about, almost above all else, staying family-friendly.

In that sense, it can only go so far. It can only tell so many stories in so many ways. It may be successful, but it will only ever be so successful, due to those restrictions.

It's a PG show. Problem is, we don't live in a PG world. Our society doesn't exist in a PG bubble. Wrestling won't ever strike it big again until it's able to grab pop culture by the pulse again. And you can't do that if you're handcuffed by a PG rating.
Great post man. I think WWE's struggles have more to do with the fact that they don't have quality writers that can work within the bounds of this image they have today.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
This is not a PG bash thread. I just really wanna hear your guys opinions about this. Its been almost 3 years since the WWE changed the direction of its product(some people may argue they were like this before), so have we seen the WWE grow? Has the WWE lost more fans because of it or has it gained more? Are PPV buys going up? Are we getting more sold out arenas? are ratings going up? I ask this because I honestly don't know and it would be great to see people post real numbers.

TBH though it doesn't seem there are all these kids flocking to the WWE product, which is Im guessing Vince wants. It seems the business is just slowly going down and down, less ratings, less attendance, less ppv buys, etc. Again I don't know real numbers it just seems that way from what I've skimmed over on the internet and what I see people post.

So is it working? Maybe the PGness hasn't settled in yet and we still need to wait longer to see its true effect, maybe the storyliens and the booking is whats keeping it from growing, or maybe people everywhere are just tired of pro-wrestling as a whole, I don't know it just seems like the days of pro-wrestling are getting darker and darker.

Thoughts?
Business isn't going down, okay PPV buyrates maybe going down but merchandise sales, house show attendances and overseas business is increasing. The TV ratings are going down but it's inevitable that's going to happen because the company have lost a lot of top guys over the last few years and are going to lose more in the next few years too, the WWE are building new stars and that will take time.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
WWE still has a monopoly on pro wrestling in just about every continent on the planet, so yeah, I'd say it's working.

·
Registered
25 Posts
PG isn't kid-driven. At all. WWE has been and always will be popular with kids. What it is, is mainstream acceptable.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with WWE's numbers business-wise. Ratings and PPV buys could be better but the company is still more than able to turn a respectable profit.

EDIT-
WWE still has a monopoly on pro wrestling in just about every continent on the planet, so yeah, I'd say it's working.
Note: Above quote is only true for continents called North America, and even then only if you don't count Mexico

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Business is definitely down.

WM sells itself, worldwide phenomenon still.

Everyone else is struggling, rating's are the lowest in 14 years.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Business is definitely down.

WM sells itself, worldwide phenomenon still.

Everyone else is struggling, rating's are the lowest in 14 years.
2008 ratings weren't that great either...

From 1993-1997 Raws ratings were real low, but ratings don't mean anything, all that matters is how much viewers watch the show. If WWE got a 5.0 rating on a channel like CBS, they'd be canceled in the future. Rating system is different now than it was 5+ years ago. Last time I checked, Attitude era which pulled 6-7 ratings ended up getting 7M viewers. Raw now gets almost 5M so not that much drop.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
TV ratings don't really mean nothing when the deal they just got with SyFy is better than MyNetwork despite Smackdown lowest ratings ever.

Four Horsemen was PG but mature. I think we need to get back to that level.

·
Registered
11,660 Posts
2008 ratings weren't that great either...

From 1993-1997 Raws ratings were real low, but ratings don't mean anything, all that matters is how much viewers watch the show. If WWE got a 5.0 rating on a channel like CBS, they'd be canceled in the future. Rating system is different now than it was 5+ years ago. Last time I checked, Attitude era which pulled 6-7 ratings ended up getting 7M viewers. Raw now gets almost 5M so not that much drop.
2 million viewers is a big drop no denying that.

·
Premium Member
19,333 Posts
Well first and foremost, WWE is a publicly traded business. I would like to see some type of chart on how their stock has done over the years... That would be a great measure to see if the kid-friendly WWE product is working or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To be fair, ratings and buyrates are based on percentage of potential customers and not set in stone figures.

14 years ago not everyone had cable, so they couldn't watch Raw or buy PPVs. Now nearly everyone in the US has cable, and the ratings reflect this.

Also there's other factors to consider, namely illegal streaming and sports bars showing WWE events. Plus, you know, economy.

Business may be not be better than it was in, say, 2000, but there's no cause for alarm.

·
i ain't got no type
1,490 Posts
Seems to me it's only making the product less enjoyable, No blood, no bikini's, No good pay per view names and no good pay per view buy rates.

Thumbs up Vince! :no:

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,100 Posts
PG is working in the areas it can work in. Merchandise sales are through the roof, as high as ever. It's fundamentally WWE's way of printing tons and tons of money for itself. Attendance took a hit this year due to the "jobless recovery" and poor economy, but it's still going strong. Overseas business is absolutely booming and WWE is wise to further penetrate foreign markets. TV "ratings" are dropping for a myriad of factors related to the expansion of cable, the increase of options which dilutes everyone's ratings, but Raw still pulls in nearly five million viewers for the average Raw and that's nothing less than solid. Not to mention television ratings have never been more irrelevant. WWE TV can get lower ratings than it would like to get but with lucrative endorsements and deals stemming from the move to PG, WWE is financially more secure today than it was when Raw was getting 5.0's but the commercial breaks were dominated by anti-acne products. Pay-per-view buyrates is the one big comparative Achilles heel these days but it's still not nearly abysmal, just low.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's nothing wrong with no blood; it's safer and having blood all the time only cheapens when it does happen.

WWE has never needed to have bikini contests and the like. These were always the lowlight of the shows. Besides, you can get better results with a Google image search. All it accomplished was to cheapen the product as a whole.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is he making more money than all of the "competition" combined? Most likely. So I'd say yeah it's working.
If TNA and the other company's had the money WWE has then it would be a completely different ball game.
People still are trying to compare a billion dollar company to ones that are way way smaller. But that is credit to company's like TNA really getting compared to WWE and their Massive budget.
Its like this..
WWE PG = sponsors like Mattel and the stocks go up then the shareholders get good returns, and you need to remember the shareholders come first, Not the wrestlers and not the fans.
Well lately it was Linda and her campaign came first then everything else was second.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
TV ratings don't really mean nothing when the deal they just got with SyFy is better than MyNetwork despite Smackdown lowest ratings ever.

Four Horsemen was PG but mature. I think we need to get back to that level.
The Horsemen weren't a part of the WWF. At that time in the WWF characters like The Ultimate Warrior.

The NWA was probably what you'd consider to be PG, but the storylines and characters were a lot more mature than the WWF's.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts