Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Orton is Orton's biggest enemy. He was chosen by the establishment to be the #1 guy in the company from the get-go and was Triple H's pet project. He had the looks, the charisma, the mic skills and the natural ability but he lacked the drive. His mic skills declined terribly and he never bothered to work on his pure wrestling skills and certainly never studied the greats in detail. It can't be that he has very few classic matches in almost 2 decades. He is a smooth worker with great timing and movement but never tried to become a credible wrestler. He can't grapple and can't sustain 2 minutes of technical wrestling. I remember the WWE pushing and pushing and pushing him, over and over, to make him the #1 guy in the company yet he was always surpassed by Cena who was alone, with no one in the board protecting him and not much skill. Look at how things turned out: Cena became a household name only matched by Hogan and Steve Austin, is fast entering the mainstream and delivered match of the year after match of the year in his last years. Bad for Orton really, but it's his fault. When someone is given everything they lack the drive to fight and go further and that's his case.
John Cena is not a house hold name. More people know who the undertaker is. Please don't put Cena in the same tier as Hogan or Austin.

·
Great One?..
10,790 Posts
John Cena is not a house hold name. More people know who the undertaker is. Please don't put Cena in the same tier as Hogan or Austin.
IMO he is close to being a household name, I've come across several people who literally live under rocks, old age, different ethnicities and they knew who Cena was.

I won't lie I was surprised myself, I didn't expect them to know him and quickly realized over the years he is indeed quite popular.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Orton is a "tweener". I hope they keep it that way because the unknown element to his character keeps him somewhat interesting.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
IMO he is close to being a household name, I've come across several people who literally live under rocks, old age, different ethnicities and they knew who Cena was.

I won't lie I was surprised myself, I didn't expect them to know him and quickly realized over the years he is indeed quite popular.
Then you just got lucky asking the right people. John Cena is a nobody compared to Hogan or Austin as a house hold name. Brock is a bigger household name than Cena.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Orton has been regularly feautred on wwe television for 17 years and he still looks young. Crazy. He,s done everything there is to do a thousand times over. Whether you put him in a stable (done that X3) tagteam (done that X?) babyface/heel (both X10) We have seen it before. Dude needs to take on a backstage role and do sporadic appearances. He brings nothing to the table except name value at this stage in his career.

·
Bury me one foot for every inch of heel she's wear
2,391 Posts
Then you just got lucky asking the right people. John Cena is a nobody compared to Hogan or Austin as a house hold name. Brock is a bigger household name than Cena.
More people over 30 I know are more familiar with the name John Cena than they are Brock Lesnar or Steve Austin

·
Registered
11,128 Posts
Re: So is Orton the new Big Show ?

It's a weird one with Orton.
If he stays a face he'll only go so high because of his own laziness playing that part and the fact that people only buy into him so much as a face.
If he stays a heel he'll only be successful to a degree because people don't really boo him that much because he's built up a lot of respect and goodwill with fans, and again, he's never truly 100% motivated nowadays
Orton is a victim of his longevity and his own apathy and lethargy
Orton could use a repackaging.

Taker 1-1.5 years off and come back someone completely brand new.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts