Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Re: So is Orton the new Big Show ?

It's a weird one with Orton.
If he stays a face he'll only go so high because of his own laziness playing that part and the fact that people only buy into him so much as a face.
If he stays a heel he'll only be successful to a degree because people don't really boo him that much because he's built up a lot of respect and goodwill with fans, and again, he's never truly 100% motivated nowadays
Orton is a victim of his longevity and his own apathy and lethargy

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

I'm surprised he's still around as much as he is. Dude should be taking half the year off and then giving it his all the other half year. It'd keep him fresh too.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Orton is Orton's biggest enemy. He was chosen by the establishment to be the #1 guy in the company from the get-go and was Triple H's pet project. He had the looks, the charisma, the mic skills and the natural ability but he lacked the drive. His mic skills declined terribly and he never bothered to work on his pure wrestling skills and certainly never studied the greats in detail. It can't be that he has very few classic matches in almost 2 decades. He is a smooth worker with great timing and movement but never tried to become a credible wrestler. He can't grapple and can't sustain 2 minutes of technical wrestling. I remember the WWE pushing and pushing and pushing him, over and over, to make him the #1 guy in the company yet he was always surpassed by Cena who was alone, with no one in the board protecting him and not much skill. Look at how things turned out: Cena became a household name only matched by Hogan and Steve Austin, is fast entering the mainstream and delivered match of the year after match of the year in his last years. Bad for Orton really, but it's his fault. When someone is given everything they lack the drive to fight and go further and that's his case.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
orton is about as interesting as pollen. Big show is about as interesting as olive branch so rather close in terms of the delux paint chart of overwhelming shades of shite.

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
He made a mistake by not jumping to AEW. The rest of his career will be nondescript and he'll largely fade away. He's been there too long and too long at the top and there is nothing for him new to quest for or achieve. No money feuds, no big moments. I think he should have jumped to AEW even just on a one-two year contract - it would have been a huge career move and sent shockwaves and created energy and interest around him. After the two years passed he could have then jumped back to WWE been away for two years and have new waiting feuds waiting for him in new talent and wrestlers that grew in prominence since he left.

One of the best parts of the Monday Night Wars was when talent jumped back and forth - creating new opportunities and dream matches with it. It would give the wrestler a fresh start and a way to tweak or reboot their characters or try a totally new one.

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,322 Posts
One of several. It feels like half the women's division turns every other month.

·
Registered
16 Posts
He made a mistake by not jumping to AEW. The rest of his career will be nondescript and he'll largely fade away. He's been there too long and too long at the top and there is nothing for him new to quest for or achieve. No money feuds, no big moments. I think he should have jumped to AEW even just on a one-two year contract - it would have been a huge career move and sent shockwaves and created energy and interest around him. After the two years passed he could have then jumped back to WWE been away for two years and have new waiting feuds waiting for him in new talent and wrestlers that grew in prominence since he left.

One of the best parts of the Monday Night Wars was when talent jumped back and forth - creating new opportunities and dream matches with it. It would give the wrestler a fresh start and a way to tweak or reboot their characters or try a totally new one.
I don't see Orton destroying his relationship with McMahon and Triple H. He knows that would have repercussions on how his legacy in the WWE would be treated.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
He made a mistake by not jumping to AEW
Orton vs. Moxley seen it
Orton vs. Cody seen it
Orton vs. Jericho seen it

Only thing left would be Orton vs Omega and then what? Matches with Marko Stunt?

There are plenty of guys coming in NXT that he could have good matches with, plus he knows when his in-ring career ends he'll always have a job with WWE.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Orton is Orton's biggest enemy. He was chosen by the establishment to be the #1 guy in the company from the get-go and was Triple H's pet project. He had the looks, the charisma, the mic skills and the natural ability but he lacked the drive. His mic skills declined terribly and he never bothered to work on his pure wrestling skills and certainly never studied the greats in detail. It can't be that he has very few classic matches in almost 2 decades. He is a smooth worker with great timing and movement but never tried to become a credible wrestler. He can't grapple and can't sustain 2 minutes of technical wrestling. I remember the WWE pushing and pushing and pushing him, over and over, to make him the #1 guy in the company yet he was always surpassed by Cena who was alone, with no one in the board protecting him and not much skill. Look at how things turned out: Cena became a household name only matched by Hogan and Steve Austin, is fast entering the mainstream and delivered match of the year after match of the year in his last years. Bad for Orton really, but it's his fault. When someone is given everything they lack the drive to fight and go further and that's his case.
not everyone needs to be a great technical wrestler for there character. Some of th internet darlings on here who people love have absolutely no personality and are boring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
not everyone needs to be a great technical wrestler for there character. Some of th internet darlings on here who people love have absolutely no personality and are boring.
What I meant is that his wrestling never evolved. Many wrestlers get better in the ring with age, perfectioning their style, trying things they never did before and just all-round upgrading their game. Orton never did. I don't want him to be a technical wrestler but he could pump some pure skill into his work or at least get better overall.

·
Registered
16,454 Posts
He is just Orton, man just does what he wants... I think he's been more tweener over the last few years than actual face or heel. I mean there was no official turn. It;s just Orton being Orton :p

1 - 20 of 29 Posts