Wrestling Forum banner

So I thought Orton always sounded monotone...

4656 43
Until I found this little gem:

What happened? Nowadays, yes, he sounds a bit badass and psycho, but I'd take this promo over the ones he has now any day.
Reactions: Ashleigh Rose
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

· Banned
15 Posts
Of course he was more charismatic back then. It's hard to show charisma when you are playing a cold blooded psycho (or a 'Viper'). Different characters but I think both are very good. Not many wrestlers were as good as Orton was in that video at 24.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
I missed out on them years. Orton wasn't that bad tbf, the legend killer run was decent from what i've seen. He can't really pull off a promo like that with his current gimmick. It wouldn't fit his character of someone who will snap and kick your head in.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
By the way, either it's me, or Randy looked juiced in that video. I could have sworn Randy dropped the roids after he got his tattoo, but when you compare Randy's physique then (that video has him absolutely chiseled) to now (skinny), it's pretty obvious lol
That was when Orton came back from injury. Usually when wrestlers come back from a long time out they are in the best shape possible cos they have more time to work on their physique and such. When they're fully active it's a lot harder to find time to work on their bodies, it's more just about staying healthy. Orton came off the juice early '07 and it was pretty obvious. During Rated RKO he was HUGE and looked mega chubby in the face but then post-Rated RKO when he introduced the Punt he started slimming down a lot. He hasn't been on the juice since. If Orton were to blow out his shoulder say - tomorrow night on RAW - and be out for a couple of months, rest assured he'd come back as chiseled as he was in that video posted.

· Really?
202 Posts
Orton could cut a damn good promo back in the day, people hate on his face run but he was thoroughly entertaining and I enjoyed it for the most part.

I don't like what they have turned Orton into now though. He can't be a face AND be the sadistic ice cold viper from a couple years back. Back when he was punting everyone, that's when I found Orton the most entertaining, when you could never tell what he was thinking or what he would do next. People loved that Randy Orton, and that's why he ended up turning face, because he ended up getting such huge pops.

· Registered
983 Posts
Why do people come in these threads and label someone just because they stated their opinion?

Maybe it's because Orton isn't as young like he once was. Back then he was trying to make a name for himself, today he is one of the top guys. I have never really been much of an Orton fan, but his run as the Legend Killer was a lot more interesting than being "Stone Cold light".

I'll eat crow and admit that he showed something back in the day though. Thanks for sharing that video.

· Registered
2,834 Posts
Cool videos everyone posted!

It's been established numerous times on this forum that it's simply Orton's current gimmick that limits him from cutting "amazing promos" and the like nowadays. Of course, he's still the same ruthless "viper" who keeps to himself, kicks guys in the skull, etc. But he's also one of the top faces now, which restricts him from cutting certain promos. He can't use potty jokes like John Cena, or have a fun catchphrase like R Truth, or colourful fireworks/a reason to jump all over the place like Kofi Kingston. He has to remain exactly the way he was, while still trying to maintain a face run. He's in limbo right now, character wise.

Not to mention he simply has nothing to talk about. He hasn't been in a decent feud for ages now. I have high hopes for this feud with Punk (because I am a fan of both guys), but it isn't really based around anything interesting. Punk's best work was when he was preaching about Straight Edge, but that can only work with the Jeff Hardy's of the world; not the Randy Orton's. It's a shame that it's just going to be another Nexus storyline with the addition of some "kicks to the skull". I wish they could make it go deeper somehow.

I think they need to continue tweaking Orton's character a little bit at a time, making him a little more human. The way he interrupted Vickie and talked to her on Smackdown was a good start to this. I'm interested to see if they do anything else with him.

· Premium Member
396 Posts
he looked like he was more cool when he didn't wear the wristbands. like, in the run up to mitb ppv, that was where i enjoyed him.

· Registered
865 Posts
orton is 'monotone' now because hies doing the viper character...

· The Mouth of Madness!
12,375 Posts
Randy Orton gets a lot of flack because on one side, he wasn't HHH on the mic, or Benoit in the ring. Yet those were the men he faced when things went down. For those who say he was or is a bad wrestler, well I always counter with his IC title reigns. His matches with Edge, Benjamin and RVD were some of the best tv and ppv matches of those years. Randy truly was the total package back then. But as always the title must come back to HHH.

HHH fucked him over after only 24 days. And he had to start all the way over and it only took him till 2007, maybe 2008 to get back to main event status. Which in all honesty was fucked up.

· Registered
6,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDqB731MdlQ

This was his best ever promo, he can be very good.
I don't know which was the best promo he ever made, but I'm not so sure about that one. Towards near the end he looked like he was running out of air and his face was going red trying to finish his sentences. But an awesome promo nonetheless.

I'm always not so sure about Randy being limited due to his Viper character. If Randy can act as pissed and cocky as he did back in his LK days, surely he can find the balance he needs to really make the Viper gimmick something that everyone can respect.

Basically, what I hope to hear from Randy which will make me laugh is, "All questions and threats will be responded to via an RKO."

· Banned
5,164 Posts
I don't know which was the best promo he ever made, but I'm not so sure about that one. Towards near the end he looked like he was running out of air and his face was going red trying to finish his sentences. But an awesome promo nonetheless.

I'm always not so sure about Randy being limited due to his Viper character. If Randy can act as pissed and cocky as he did back in his LK days, surely he can find the balance he needs to really make the Viper gimmick something that everyone can respect.

Basically, what I hope to hear from Randy which will make me laugh is, "All questions and threats will be responded to via an RKO."
The Viper doesn't have time to act cocky. He doesn't talk about how he could end you, he just ends you.

· Ho!
20,676 Posts
Randy's best days were imo 2005, as then he really shined. In my opinion he's never been close to that level except from the moment he kicked McMahon in the skull to the moment he lost to Triple H at Mania. When it comes to 05 Orton vs. 2009 first 3 months Orton, even though I have 05 Orton ahead, it's only by a slight bit, and I can see why people would put his 09 character when his viper psycho gimmick really was put into full force. Back in 05 Orton was my third favorite wrestler in the company, he was entertaining in his promos, showed personality, did great in the ring, and his dad being around him I think added a nice touch to his character.

Some great promos though from him.

· Registered
177 Posts
but to be fair his whole viper stone cold lol killer character makes him stand out from there rest
So his monotone promos make him stand out from the other 60+ wrestlers with monotone voices?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.