Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both the Roman and Rollins experiment failed to get over as the FOTC. So now Heyman has found a new person to experiment with - Drew?

I don't feel like Drew really is that over to deserve this kind of push be honest. Winning Rumble and beating Brock at Mania?

Do u guys think this experiment will succeed?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Both the Roman and Rollins experiment failed to get over as the FOTC. So now Heyman has found a new person to experiment with - Drew?

I don't feel like Drew really is that over to deserve this kind of push be honest. Winning Rumble and beating Brock at Mania?

Do u guys think this experiment will succeed?
Why haven’t they turned Roman heel yet is the question.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
There are a few factors to consider:

* They've got the two shows. Heyman's got Brock so it makes sense to build up someone to beat him. You could have Joe, Owens, Black and McIntyre in that position, realistically. Of them, when ticking Vince McMahon's boxes, McIntyre fills the most. He's 6'5, 265lbs with a great look and skilled enough. He's not Roddy Piper on the mic, Hulk Hogan selling or Kurt Angle in the ring, but he puts together enough things to pass as a top guy on Raw.

* Seth was never the A1 star. They probably could have tried, but his Rumble win and title win was more about being the featured match to Becky's main event story and the PR of them pushing women athletes. I think they could have tried to push them both a lot better, but that is what it is. He didn't help matters by not having the mentality to really do it, so now he's gone back to being heel and that is what it is.

* Roman failed because the smart fans are going to turn on anyone who gets a kayfabe push. I'm sorry, but they will. They see the strings and feel manipulated. This is why the work was so important, and wrestling's lost a lot of that. But when you are pushed outside the confines of that "this is your new top guy" context, the fans will see you as other enough to give you a pass. Braun Strowman is not a better worker than Roman Reigns. And he's not a better promo. But the fans would have taken him over Reigns. You've got Roman there, the fans are treating him nicely because of the cancer, but they're ready to revolt if he gets the rocket. Drew benefits from being "Not Roman."

* Heyman is clearly behind this. The way that Rumble was structured and built to things -- it not only almost entirely focused on Raw's programs, but it was pretty classic Heyman storytelling. If Heyman has the influence to take this, he can make a guy like McIntyre. He's chosen someone that Vince is not going to pull the rug on. You go with one of the carpenters (Owens or Joe) or a guy that may not have the personality completely figured out yet (Black) and Vince might come in, change his mind, and let you know that Brock is beating them at Mania after you've set it up harder than Yoko/Luger from SummerSlam. McIntyre is as much a safe pick for Heyman as he is a great pick for WWE.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Why haven’t they turned Roman heel yet is the question.
You couldn't bring him back as a heel. You could switch him now and it would be a huge story, but I think they are going to try and make him as a babyface by beating Bray lower on the card without the Rumble push reminding people of the "Roman or bust" days.

If it doesn't work, it's not as integral that Roman remain a babyface, since they've got Bryan healthy and they are now building women up hard and all the revenue streams are kind of established and embedded because of Cena. There was a time where turning Cena was probably the wrong move for everyone but the most hardcore fans, but now you could do it and it would just be him flexing his versatility. Reigns was kind of being pushed with the mentality that he's got to endear himself to kids and not change in the face of adversity no matter what, but he doesn't need to be that thing to be the most effective Roman Reigns he can be for them.

·
The Babyface of WF
10,531 Posts
Drew is an experiment but not FOTC material it's just not realistic he's underutilized but if you think he's got something that Roman or Seth don't have and we are talking about Authenticity then you're overthinking things.

He's a new fresh option that's second best to somebody capable of carrying the company on their back, Drew is believable enough to be a threat a big one i might add to Brock Lesnar but not a major player in drawing power but of course he doesn't need to be since WWE are clearly not interested in looking for that one larger than life performer to make waves.

·
Team AEW
2,805 Posts
Doubt it. It's hard to see Brock vs McIntyre over Reigns vs Wyatt as the main event at Mania, but I think Roman is still groomed as the FOTC, they're just being really careful with him. They make him "earn" the spot and win the fans over. So Drew is the guy for now. If people won't get behind him, they'll drop him, like they dropped Nakamura winning the title (even though he wasn't going to be FOTC anyway).

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Doubt it. It's hard to see Brock vs McIntyre over Reigns vs Wyatt as the main event at Mania, but I think Roman is still groomed as the FOTC, they're just being really careful with him. They make him "earn" the spot and win the fans over. So Drew is the guy for now. If people won't get behind him, they'll drop him, like they dropped Nakamura winning the title (even though he wasn't going to be FOTC anyway).
As you said though, they're being careful with Reigns. They didn't smash him over here and just do whatever they want. There's a reason he's not the champion now. I don't think they put Reigns and Wyatt in the main event of Mania when Brock vs. Drew has got this much cache and run the risk of the crowd booing Roman Reigns being showered in confetti as the crowd toss around beach balls.

The thing is with them being tepid about Roman is that if you're scared of pushing him as the top guy because of fan revolt, so you don't push him as the top guy, then he's not your top guy, lol. It doesn't mean he's not valuable and a star in his own right, but at some point they've got to work out where to go with that whole thing.

And Nakamura was never getting the belt. He was only signed for one more year and they weren't about to put the WWE Title on a guy who could have been in the Tokyo Dome before long putting over Japanese mid-carders. Nakamura was given the Rumble as a nod to let him know that they value him, and because AJ Styles wanted the match and Vince McMahon wanted to give Styles that. It wasn't a failed project.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
Why don’t they just do a Brock vs Cain rematch? I can’t believe Cain tapped out to the Kimura lock. In UFC, he broke free of the submission hold.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts
Why don’t they just do a Brock vs Cain rematch? I can’t believe Cain tapped out to the Kimura lock. In UFC, he broke free of the submission hold.
They probably will. They rushed to it because they wanted to get it done to get it done. Cain is nowhere ready enough to be WWE Champion though, so Brock will have to lose the belt first. Unless they just put Brock over.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No one wants to see Brock v Cain again. I don’t think drew is another FOTC. Their shouldent be a FOTC anymore, anyway. At least it’s different. Going to be Reigns Fiend WM. But it’s less predictable by bypassing Rumble.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Drew will be on the preshow in 9 months, he is not a main event talent, Brock vs Drew is the equivalent of putting the Rock vs Test at Mania, it's not going to work

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

·
Team AEW
2,805 Posts
The thing is with them being tepid about Roman is that if you're scared of pushing him as the top guy because of fan revolt, so you don't push him as the top guy, then he's not your top guy, lol. It doesn't mean he's not valuable and a star in his own right, but at some point they've got to work out where to go with that whole thing.
I agree in a sense that judging by mere facts, Roman is not FOTC anymore, and hasn't been for a long while at this point. But, you know Vince, he doesn't like to lose, he wants the guy HE chose to be the face, so he's probably just waiting for the right moment. Or that moment that he thinks will be the right moment, anyway.

I'm baffled by Roman's booking sometimes. He loses a lot these days, it seems. Even tonight, look how smart they've booked Drew to win. He eliminated all the "bad guys". He eliminated Brock, and then eliminated Roman to win. When I read there were only 3, I thought - well, it seems obvious. Drew gets the rub, eliminating Edge, and Roman tosses out Drew to a big pop. But NO. They've done the opposite - Roman actually took the heat of eliminating Edge on himself. That's a big risk, because people booed him instantly. And that's all in favor of Drew - now HE is the hero who first got rid of Brock, and then got revenge for Edge's elimination. That's fucking smart actually. I don't believe they will turn Roman heel, like you suggest they will. That's a sign they are behind Drew, but I still don't fully believe it until he actually beats Brock.

I certainly hope they're not going for the underdog storyline with him and Brock, like they did last year with Seth and Brock. These 2 need to brawl and beat the shit our of each other on TV, I'd do it right there tomorrow on RAW. This needs to get hot.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I agree in a sense that judging by mere facts, Roman is not FOTC anymore, and hasn't been for a long while at this point. But, you know Vince, he doesn't like to lose, he wants the guy HE chose to be the face, so he's probably just waiting for the right moment. Or that moment that he thinks will be the right moment, anyway.

I'm baffled by Roman's booking sometimes. He loses a lot these days, it seems. Even tonight, look how smart they've booked Drew to win. He eliminated all the "bad guys". He eliminated Brock, and then eliminated Roman to win. When I read there were only 3, I thought - well, it seems obvious. Drew gets the rub, eliminating Edge, and Roman tosses out Drew to a big pop. But NO. They've done the opposite - Roman actually took the heat of eliminating Edge on himself. That's a big risk, because people booed him instantly. And that's all in favor of Drew - now HE is the hero who first got rid of Brock, and then got revenge for Edge's elimination. That's fucking smart actually. I don't believe they will turn Roman heel, like you suggest they will. That's a sign they are behind Drew, but I still don't fully believe it until he actually beats Brock.

I certainly hope they're not going for the underdog storyline with him and Brock, like they did last year with Seth and Brock. These 2 need to brawl and beat the shit our of each other on TV, I'd do it right there tomorrow on RAW. This needs to get hot.
Great post.

Also, they booked Roman to spear Edge with a 30-second anticipation for the crowd to digest it and boo.

Roman misses the spear, then Edge retaliates with his own spear to a huge smark pop.

Like usual, Roman was used to guarantee pops for the other faces. Randy Orton won in 2017 the same way.

You know, the hardcore fans who boo Roman really are the biggest marks of all IMO.

They’re encouraged to boo him at every key moment as misdirection. Then, they cheer for WWE’s chosen man of the moment while believing they’re going “against” the grain and “choosing” their guy. Lol. And while believing they’re impenetrably smart, they don’t realise they’re being manipulated by the same misdirection trick time and time again.

·
Team AEW
2,805 Posts
They’re encouraged to boo him at every key moment as misdirection. Then, they cheer for WWE’s chosen man of the moment while believing they’re going “against” the grain and “choosing” their guy. Lol.
Yeah, exactly. It's so funny, because at the end Vince has won

Also, not only in 2017, but in 2014 there was a similar moment. People cheered Roman because he was going up against Batista, but then they've booed him in 2015, so that didn't work out. I wonder if this will work with Drew, or this will backfire again.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I think they need more build up time with Drew as he was just starting to get crowd reactions a few weeks before the Rumble with the 3..2...1.. countdown etc, it's not as if he has been a babyface or tweener for long. He more than deserves this Rumble win and his story from the past 12 ish years is a very good story of a wrestler who has had his ups and downs and people can relate to this in life, the fact he turned it around to not only come back and win the NXT title, the Raw tags and now the Royal Rumble is fantastic you can't make that stuff up. If they use it to let the casual fans know the full story, have him be more of himself with the crowd interactions he does on house shows, add in a big feud on the way to WM36 and I don't see why he won't be over with the crowd and have a GOLDEN opportunity to win one of the WWE World Titles. The way he stared down Brock, it seems it's that.

I see Keith Lee as the next "Big" Guy, he has great strength, but as an all round performer and athlete who knows the ins and outs of the company and can build upon and who ticks ALL the boxes it's Drew.
You know FOTC experiment? I think it's just building another Star to the roster, a new rising Star among Stars, some seen it a long time ago and some are just seeing it now in Drew. The Rock just recently called it, among others and he knows very well how to entertain people at the highest level.
I say well done to the WWE as Royal Rumble 2020 was the best RR in a long time and that's coming from over 30 years of watching WWE!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Drew McIntyre was always somebody that McMahon was high on, as shown through his Chosen One character. Glad to see they went through with having him win the Royal Rumble. I have no doubt that McIntyre vs Lesnar will main event WrestleMania too, because it's a bigger match than Reigns vs The Fiend. McIntyre has the look and aura of a superstar, he's entertaining, he's funny, he's a good wrestler and one of the few people on the roster that actually looks like someone who could believably beat Brock Lesnar.

·
Banned
6,268 Posts

Yeah, that was quite brilliant. Whoever put this together new exactly what they were doing. Drew was also there eliminating Corbin (the heel with go away heat) and I think was the guy who got the shine of eliminating Seth. This was a really well constructed Rumble. Edge looked amazing making it right to the end, past the final field, into the final four and being there at the end with Reigns. And it doesn't make Reigns look bad to eliminate him, because that's the point, but it did disappoint fans which was used to place more into Drew, as you said.

It's very possible that Vince is just waiting it out with Reigns, but the thing with them being scared to ruin where they are now by pushing him too hard is, well, it's working. So why go back to 2015? I mean, they could have done that if they wanted to. I'm not so sure they go all-in with Reigns the same way again. Or that they are as stubborn about it as they were in 2015, because otherwise they would be now.

Wrong choice in my opinion.

They should try and again with Seth. He did a good job last time, it was only complaining from the fans and bad booking that held him back.
I get that you are clearly a Seth fan, but Seth did not help himself any with his foot fetish. He loves putting it in his mouth. Seth didn't inspire the good booking that you need, and his promos and charisma aren't there were he can survive bad booking.

Drew, for whatever reason, got an excellent treatment tonight. I didn't look so damn surprised when he won like Seth did last year. Have some fucking confidence, man.

Great post.

Also, they booked Roman to spear Edge with a 30-second anticipation for the crowd to digest it and boo.

Roman misses the spear, then Edge retaliates with his own spear to a huge smark pop.

Like usual, Roman was used to guarantee pops for the other faces. Randy Orton won in 2017 the same way.

You know, the hardcore fans who boo Roman really are the biggest marks of all IMO.

They’re encouraged to boo him at every key moment as misdirection. Then, they cheer for WWE’s chosen man of the moment while believing they’re going “against” the grain and “choosing” their guy. Lol. And while believing they’re impenetrably smart, they don’t realise they’re being manipulated by the same misdirection trick time and time again.
Yeah, these fans are really easy to manipulate. They could really do it more to squeeze more money out of them, but when they figure that out, they will be laughing.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts