Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
source is from British Heart Foundation

this is interesting, it says while smokers are likely to become more ill from covid than nonsmokers, they may be less likely to actually get infected. :unsure:

·
Registered
I work at State Farm. Seriously hmu for a quote tri state area LMAO
151 Posts
I actually find this interesting cause I've read somewhere prior before about this from a different source but research needs to be done to effectively prove it true. From an anecdotal standpoint, I smoke with only 2 other people usually but those other people smoke with their extensive group of friends and me, them, our their friends haven't caught COVID which I find interesting since I would assume we all go through our daily lives in contact with multiple people and are passing around smoking devices or blunts which we put our mouths on. Also in NYC too.

I do think smokers and COVID should definitely be researched more cause it seems too coincidental for that to be the case with the high risk exposure smokers in NYC tend to have plus I've been in contact with people who have had COVID or were in contact with people who had.

·
Registered
Galaleroy
1,713 Posts
I smoke and I've had covid and several sinus infections after the fact. Fully vaxed and on the fence about the boosters. I think the only thing that's safe to say we "know" is that we know nothing. The sky is falling, the end is nigh, we are all gonna die...

This pandemic has really changed a lot in life, but the one certainty we've been reminded of is that tomorrow's not promised. Let's just keep dancin and singin like nobody's watchin 😁

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
*subsequent research paid for by the worldwide tobacco federation
Also published in January 2021, pre-vaccines. The actual study was taken between March and April 2020, when we knew very little about the virus and were still denying it in some parts of the world for the first part.

The data is also taken from an app that was largely unregulated too. These were just people reporting anything that they liked, rather than being screened by a health professional. Hence, being completely unreliable in making claims like this. Plus, smokers tend to under-report that they smoke, especially if they're trying to quit. I know that I did this before I actually quit!

Regardless of whether smoking reduces the risk of catching coronavirus, we know it increases your risk of severe illness, hospitalisation and death if you do become infected.
Smoking can also damage your lungs and immune system, making you more vulnerable to respiratory infections. The World Health Organization said “Smoking impairs lung function making it harder for the body to fight off coronaviruses and other diseases.”
A fun couple of quotes in the description that basically says that this is complete rubbish, which it is.

The fact of the matter, as acknowledged on the link above, is that smoking creates long term issues with the lungs and various other types of cancers. Having a compromised immune system leaves you more vulnerable to contracting the disease.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
source is from British Heart Foundation

this is interesting, it says while smokers are likely to become more ill from covid than nonsmokers, they may be less likely to actually get infected. :unsure:

View attachment 110962

View attachment 110963

Your own source says, in the same article,
"Does smoking increase your risk of severe Covid?

Yes. A review by the World Health Organization found that smoking is associated with more severe illness and an increased risk of death in people who need hospital treatment for Covid-19.

One paper claiming that smoking may reduce the risk of Covid-19 infection was retracted after two of its authors were found to have ties to the tobacco industry."
Does smoking increase or reduce your risk from coronavirus?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts