Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Smackdown at the moment is in a really good place with Edge as face and a bunch of promising young heels, but they almost have too many good options for the main event and not enough time to do them.

Edge vs Ziggler/Vicke is turning out really fantastic, largely it must be said because the chemistry between Edge and Vickie is so good whether they're together or opposed it seems, but also because Ziggler has developed into such a strong in ring performer.

Edge vs Del Rio seems set for Wrestlemania - and really who else can Del Rio face? Big Show would be boring. Rey feud has heat, but it's been played out already. Kofi maybe, but I don't see them doing a Wrestlemania WHC match with two new stars. It HAS to be Edge.

So there's the two feuds with enough material through to the end of March at least. But Edge vs Barrett surely has to happen? Edge vs Drew? Otherwise why the Kelly Kelly angle? Edge vs Swagger could certainly do with a better feud as well. That Rhodes guy is lurking about as well.

Short of Orton being drafted I'm starting to think that Edge may be champ for a long time yet and we may see all these feuds pan out before someone is eventually given the honour of retiring him.

· I like me
425 Posts
There certainly is lots of heel talent who could potentially be used in World title feuds. However, I don't think that that means Edge HAS to be the face all the time. Even though plenty of the IWC wouldn't want to see it, Mysterio and Undertaker are both capable of being the headline face - both are more popular with the general crowd than Edge anyway. Big Show and Kofi will always be the second tier guys on this roster, despite the fact that Kofi's overness means he should be more.

But with Edge, Undertaker and Mysterio all getting on in the age and injury department I can't help but feel that WWE are setting themselves up for the fall unless they start soon with the next big face push. Cena and Orton as the only two over youngish faces isn't enough to carry the WWE (and it is faces who do the carrying) when you are running a two brand company.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll give you Undertaker will always be the most over face on Smackdown, but he's barely around. Mysterio's star is waning I think, Edge is more over than him right now.

Maybe they'll let Kofi chase the belt post-wrestlemania

· I like me
425 Posts
I'll give you Undertaker will always be the most over face on Smackdown, but he's barely around. Mysterio's star is waning I think, Edge is more over than him right now.

Maybe they'll let Kofi chase the belt post-wrestlemania
I think that is debatable although it is hard to tell. Edge is more important at the moment because he is champion, but Mysterio's popularity with a large part of the fanbase - kids - cannot be overlooked. The number of Mysterio masks you see in the audience and front row as he is making his way out is testament to that.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
The options available to SmackDown right now should serve as an example to the people that run Raw as Raw has struggled with the same people in the top spot's for years whilst SmackDown has changed it up on a regular basis after making the show based around three people in The Undertaker, Batista and Edge for a long time. Having Edge as a face opens up so many avenues on SmackDown and which i am thankful for because SmackDown is much more of a wrestling show in comparison to Raw which is apparently an entertainment show but has been centred around John Cena, Randy Orton and Triple H for as long as i can remember.

I remember making a thread a few months ago i think in which i spoke of how many really good heel's WWE has potentially on SmackDown in Alberto Del Rio, Dolph Ziggler, Jack Swagger, Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre and if booked right that group could be WWE's next generation of heel's righ there. Now with Wade Barrett and Justin Gabriel als thrown into the mix following their move to SmackDown from Raw i would say that barring Raw getting the majority of them in the next draft we will see SmackDown have a much better year in 2011 than Raw could hope to have.

Once Christian returns providing he stays as a face and WWE doesn't push Edge/Christian as a feud on a lesser PPV he will provide another face alongside Edge, Rey Mysterio, Kofi Kingston and The Big Show as full time face's for the heel's to learn from as well as the man who is still the ultimate test for any heel who want't to get to the top in The Undertaker who barring serious injury will be around until WrestleMania 28 at the very least so he can go for 20-0. I like the dynamics of face's vs heel's on SmackDown and i just pray that Raw doesn't get all of the best SmackDown talent like usual and if anything i would leave things pretty much as they are because SmackDown has seen more talent come through in the last year and a half than Raw has done in years.

· Registered
5,163 Posts
There are many options, i like the young heels on Smackdown, they're way more interesting than the babyfaces side, you have Wade Barrett, one of the four equals in the Corre, the self-proclaimed Caesar who led a troops of young army and dominated Raw for brief period of time, and now is trying to make more impact on Smackdown under a new faction. Drew McIntyre, the sinister scotsman, a ruthless competitor who will do anything to achieve his dream and isn't afraid to take another superstar out if he has to. Dolph Ziggler, the arrogant prick who uses the higher power to reach his goal because he can't do it himself. Jack Swagger, the cocky over-achieving jock who makes you want to punch his face everytime he opens his mouth. Cody Rhodes, the Dashing one, who seriously has an insecurity problem regarding his face :rolleyes:. Alberto Del Rio, an endlessly arrogant millionaire, highly educated man, whose garages filled with only the most prestigious and expensive automobiles (damn). They're all awesome on their own right.

Drew McIntyre vs. Taker is my dream feud. Drew is one of my favorite heels at the moment, he's one of these guys who will be a perfect match for Deadman himself, he's kind of a guy who will not fear the Deadman and doesn't fall into Taker's mind game, so it will be fun to see him trying to dismantle Taker and takes him to the limit. Maybe this won't be a WHC feud but this will definitely be a great feud and takes Drew's character to the whole new level so that he can believably enter the gate of WHC scene.

· Registered
57 Posts
I've got a feeling that they'll be moving Dolph over to the B-show (Raw, lol) here anytime now with Del Rio being the new #1 contender.

There's simply too much good heel talent on SD. All of the faces don't really get a single day off and there's still some heels left-over. Either Christian and 'taker need to make their face returns on SD real soon, they need to push people like Barretta and Masters, or they'll have to start turning some of the heels like Swagger or McIntyre.

I agree with whoever posted that they should move Orton over to SD though.

· Registered
388 Posts
I've got a feeling that they'll be moving Dolph over to the B-show (Raw, lol) here anytime now with Del Rio being the new #1 contender.

There's simply too much good heel talent on SD. All of the faces don't really get a single day off and there's still some heels left-over. Either Christian and 'taker need to make their face returns on SD real soon, they need to push people like Barretta and Masters, or they'll have to start turning some of the heels like Swagger or McIntyre.

I agree with whoever posted that they should move Orton over to SD though.
Raw the B Show? lmao

One of Rhodes, Swagger, McIntyre or Ziggler have to become a face. Because I think Barrett and del Rio are set as the heels.

Jackson should have a good future maybe lol

· Registered
57 Posts
Raw the B Show? lmao

One of Rhodes, Swagger, McIntyre or Ziggler have to become a face. Because I think Barrett and del Rio are set as the heels.

Jackson should have a good future maybe lol
Heh, I use B-show a bit facetiously since people seem to like calling SmackDown that though it seems to have the better writing and talent. No arguing which is the bigger draw though, there's just something about live events I suppose.

I was terribly surprised when they decided to introduce Jackson as a heel and move the rest of the Corre over to SD. Like this show needed any more heels.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.