Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

NBC Universal announced that Smackdown will be trying out a picture-in-picture approach during the commercials for Smackdown. This has been tried before with other sports and wrestling in the past. The idea in theory is that people won’t speed through commercials on DVR or change channels. During the commercial periods on Smackdown, the sound will be of the commercial but there will be a part of the picture showing the action going on in the arena. This is expected to debut in late May or early June. They are also planning this for the 2018 Olympics. They did this on a couple of Smackdown shows in 2016 and it was successful in that ratings during the commercial breaks were 13 percent higher and led to a two percent overall increase in ratings of those episodes. They said that test marketing showed that the ads were 42 percent more memorable than under normal circumstances as people continued to watch more closely. This is already regularly done with auto races.

·
Premium Member
14,286 Posts
Sounds awesome I remember seeing that a few times and was thinking why the hell they didn't keep that.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Commercials are terrible because they do them in the middle of a match all the time now.

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts
Couldn't they just do the commercials between the matches?

It takes you out of the moment when Wrestler A is in clear control of the match and you come back and Wrestler B is dominating :lol

Reactions: Dmight

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
5 minutes of Orton's and Owens' headlocks with the sound of the commercial over it:eek:wens3

·
Blaze is Elite
2,874 Posts
So it sounds like the first Smackdown to do this, could be the Smackdown I'm at so I won't even be able to give my opinion on it at first, but I did enjoy it back when they did it a few times last year so if it's done like that, then I guess it could be pretty cool.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
Didn't we have a topic about this the other day? I remember saying that it's only good if you watch the show on the USA Network. If you're outside the USA, you're shit out of luck. There's no way Sky (our cable provider) would do this, they're way too cheap lol.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Or they can just respect the integrity of a match and not cut to commercials while people are in the ring...like Lucha Underground does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.