Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about this the other day, i think Smackdown Six concept needs to come back if WWE is serious on wanting to revive the tag team division. I know this idea may sound unoriginal but i think it could work considering the tag team division is on life support right now. Drew and Cody need credible challengers, so my idea is that Edge should reunite with Rey Rey (assuming Edge is a face right now) while Del Rio somehow affiliates himself with Swagger for whatever reason, the creatives can come up with anything good for that one. There you have six wrestlers competing in triple threat tag team feud just like what Smackdown Six concept basically is. There are no other legit tag teams anyway so these random thrown together tag team won't do any harm. And if these three teams are given lots of times for each match they could provide series of great matches together and this can put the tag titles and Cody and Drew over big time if they can steal some victories over the big names. This may not be good idea in general but i think it can make people at least care about tag team division again.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
it would be awesome. the problem is they don't have a SINGLE tag team as awesome as the Smackdown Six, so it would be like a really cheap version. would still be nice though, and it obviously helped propel a couple of them.

·
Thank You Randy Savage.
3,773 Posts
The Smackdown Six worked because they were all great, no, wait, fucking amazing wrestlers. Smackdown's roster atm can't touch the original Smackdown Six. Rey and Edge aren't even as good now as they were when they were 1/3 of the originals.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I see Edge and Rey tagging together in the odd main event in the future if Edge stays face - but not reforming as a full team.

Although, I dunno, maybe this is the angle for Christian returning as a heel to feud with Edge, Edge teaming with his "more successful" tag team partner Rey, and Christian getting jealous and forming a team with Swagger with Soaring Eagle ringside. Heh. How long is Christian out for?

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Don't forget Chavo is still around!
Nothing against Chavo but he will be a waste of tag team space, he's not as credible as he used to anymore to warrant such push. Jack Swagger and Alberto Del Rio are still relatively new to the viewers so it will be wise if they team up together and gain some victories over big names to get heat along the way.

But i kinda agree with you guys, these teams are nowhere as good as the original Smackdown Six. Edge and Rey are the shell of their former selves, but they're still ones of the best workers in the company. And it's only about time Drew and Cody will find their chemistry if they keep defending the belts in competitive tag team matches. But i don't think all of this will happen. My only hope is that i wish they will push Dudebusters now since there are no other tag team competitors left other than Dashingly Sinister.

·
DAVID OTUNGA's Personal Assistant
9,748 Posts
wishing for the Dudebusters is the exact reason a Smackdown Six right now just wouldn't be as awesome.

the likes of EDDIE GUERRERO, EDGE, REY MYSTERIO, KURT ANGLE, CHRIS BENOIT (and that chavo guy)

and the 2010 smackdown six......

CAYLEN CROFT, TRENT BARETTA, CODY RHODES, DREW MCINTYRE, AND SOME OTHER DUDES

this makes me miss 2002. a lot.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,822 Posts
Heyman's not around, and Vince seems to not give a shit about tag teams, so it's never going to happen.

I like the idea in principle, though. The merging of feuds in tag team bouts (Rey/Edge vs. ADR/Swagger, for instance) is almost always a great one to pursue, because it gives people an appetizer of respective singles matches between the feuding participants without delivering the whole meal. Besides, it shakes things up and keeps the show fresh. Which Smackdown could definitely use, for the most part.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I'd argue that if booked right; Cody, Drew, Christian, Kofi, Dolph, and ADR could get just as good if not better than the 'Six', they don't necessarily have to be in tag teams but just a bunch of midcarders interwoven together and having numerous matches against each other, oh wait.. :argh:

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd argue that if booked right; Cody, Drew, Christian, Kofi, Dolph, and ADR could get just as good if not better than the 'Six', they don't necessarily have to be in tag teams but just a bunch of midcarders interwoven together and having numerous matches against each other, oh wait.. :argh:
Yeah but they fought each other for no purpose, more or less just to stall things until SD moved to SyFy.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
The Smackdown Six worked because they were all great, no, wait, fucking amazing wrestlers. Smackdown's roster atm can't touch the original Smackdown Six. Rey and Edge aren't even as good now as they were when they were 1/3 of the originals.
Wait Swagger and Del Rio can't wrestle

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
When did this "smackdown six" happen?

·
Administrator
59,009 Posts
When did this "smackdown six" happen?
2002, lasted for a year or two. They had some really good matches on Smackdown. The show might of been better than Raw during that time period. It really depends on your interests in a wrestling show. Good wrestling with good personalities? Or storylines and star power. (Raw)

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
The Smackdown Six was Heyman's creation and one of the greatest periods in WWE history imo.

It should be left there.

WWE does not need to go all TNA and try to revive the past.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
2002, lasted for a year or two. They had some really good matches on Smackdown. The show might of been better than Raw during that time period. It really depends on your interests in a wrestling show. Good wrestling with good personalities? Or storylines and star power. (Raw)
Star power? In 2002, Raw was basically Kane, Triple H, and RVD. Hogan and The Rock were out of action but they were SD Superstars at the time.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I think Smackdown has a lot of good wrestlers right now they just aren't being booked right.

We have

CM Punk
Rey Mysterio
Edge
Undertaker
Kane
Jack Swagger
Big Show (He is one of the best big men in the business EVER despite what people say about him)
Christian
Cody Rhodes
Dolph Ziggler
Drew McIntyre (He will get better over time)
Alberto Del Rio
Kaval
JTG ( he is a solid worker)
Kofi Kingston (he botches from time to time but so does everyone)
Dudebusters
Gatecrashers
Luke Gallows (He is a solid worker)
Joey Mercury (He is a solid worker)
MVP

Everyone on that list is a good to great worker, there is a lot of potential there, but the booking lately has been horrible.
)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts