Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone else go along with this? Much like the Smackdown 1 game I think it would work. It certainly gives more reasoning as to why guys would challenge each other over belts. It's also more realistic and would make Smackdown that little bit different to Raw. It would also make for more of a 'competitive' atmosphere if you like as one would be gunning for the top ranked spot or a ranking that would get them a title shot.

It's so easy to do. Long could come out and say he's looking to shake things up on Smackdown. Thus initiating the new concept.

·
Who speaks for Earth?
625 Posts
Wasn't there something like this in TNA?

I think if done correctly it could work well, it doesn't leave many surprises though on who the next #1 contender is for any of the belts.

·
Registered
7,902 Posts
I like it because it makes the matches more meaningful. Like the KOTR qualifiers or the #1 contender match between Swagger and Kofi. If the match is pointless I usually skip through it.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Sounds great. Except it would take solid planning and logical booking, to get certain guys ranked the where WWE wants them without making the system look like total BS. So it would probably fail.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I made a thread about this in the WWE forum a few months ago. I'd be all for a ranking system because it would build feuds and give meaning to more matches. I don't need to be surprised as to who the #1 contender is because as of right now, I think they just pull it out of their ass.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I made a thread about this in the WWE forum a few months ago. I'd be all for a ranking system because it would build feuds and give meaning to more matches. I don't need to be surprised as to who the #1 contender is because as of right now, I think they just pull it out of their ass.
They only do that because kids like magic tricks.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
A ranking system would throw off their carefully calibrated system of doing shit week by week.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I think they should just give some World Title matches on TV to whoever the hottest wrestler is so that it would give more mid carders a taste of the main event scene and then have them just flat out wrestle a great match on TV to test out what each wrestler is made of and then move on from there in the future.

Im actually getting this idea from what they did with Morrison a while back when he was beating Punk who was the world champion and he was on such a roll so they gave him a world title match on TV and put on a great match with Jeff Hardy but its just too bad the WWE couldn't capitalize on that opportunity afterwards.

·
also known as a BUSTER
12,018 Posts
Never works. Too complicated. Exposes the business (it doesn't actually matter who wins btw). Impossible for a booker to work around.

The reason why it works in the video games is because their matches are a shoot. Then again, even legit combat sports generally don't have strict rankings systems any way.

·
Premium Member
19,338 Posts
I don't like ranking systems at all. I've never seen a ranking system work or even make since in professional wrestling.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
WWE proves every week that wins and losses don't matter, so any attempt they'd make at a ranking system would simply be comical.

·
Registered
487 Posts
What happened to just putting emphasis on the #1 Contender?

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
In my opinion, ranking systems in all of pro wrestling is a stupid idea. Because if you go clearly by win/lose records in pro wrestling, the only person that would have succeeded is Goldberg and Brock Lesnar. Austin, Rock, and I'm sure even Hogan, lost far more than they won if you really want to go into detail match by match. They would not be main eventers because "oh their records aren't great".

Bottom line: Rankings in pro wrestling are all bad ideas. Except NXT, only because they don't follow it after the wrestler/s leave that show.

·
Premium Member
23,217 Posts
In my opinion, ranking systems in all of pro wrestling is a stupid idea. Because if you go clearly by win/lose records in pro wrestling, the only person that would have succeeded is Goldberg and Brock Lesnar. Austin, Rock, and I'm sure even Hogan, lost far more than they won if you really want to go into detail match by match. They would not be main eventers because "oh their records aren't great".

Bottom line: Rankings in pro wrestling are all bad ideas. Except NXT, only because they don't follow it after the wrestler/s leave that show.
Obviously it wouldn't be a permanent ranking system. They could do it for a couple months or so to determine a number one contender or something like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts