Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So smackdown lately has been in a rut, and not only that it's been pissing a lot of people off with how some of the wrestlers have been treated (Barrett especially for some reason on this forum). Anyway I can't say if the show is good or not because I haven't seen it, but I can comment on the booking of tonight and it just seems like they are doing the bare minimum with characters... So I have some real problems I've noticed that have bothered me this week, it's almost getting to impact levels of consistency errors.

There seems to be a lack of any major announcements or story for Smackdown. Biggest reason why Smackdown has been lackluster is it seems like the writers have all been focusing on raw lately to deliver any kind of a story or meaningful feud. What you get lately has been unnecessary (Christian and Mark Henry) and confusing (Sin Cara) heel turns, and Sheamus turning face (Also kind of random but has done him more good and made him a lot more useful to the booking).

You get story lines not followed up on (Ted Dibiase and Cody Rhodes). They give away essentially payper view matches for free (Randy vs Cody in a champion vs champion feud could have been good after the feud with henry, or at least had some potential, you have two guys that obviously have chemistry, you have a new fresh cody rhodes that has completely removed himself out of the legacy shadow, but you gave it away on smackdown tonight...With no build up what so ever) Meanwhile you have Cody Rhodes as intercontinental champion and for a pay per view meant to be about only the champions you think they'd figure to put some feud together, Ziggler at least has SOMETHING going on, not very good but it's building up.

A lot of wasted talent, while the focus has been on getting henry "over" enough to even be deemed a challenger to orton (still not buying it or even interested, I'd rather see Nash vs Punk, at least it'd be a train wreck that's funny to watch so Nash can embarrass himself) But on top of that you have Danielson, a guy they gave mitb to (still baffles me how there going about this) where he hasn't won a single noteworthy match (didn't work on nxt and it's definitely not going to work now)and I don't think the bookers realize that for a face to be seen as...anything really...they have to win a couple times...Then he's put into a feud with Cara which more people are confused, I'm pretty sure not a single kid is gonna want Danielson to beat Cara, and that's an issue, and it's an issue thats going to be addressed by saying oh that wasn't really Cara at all...which is another thing about this website, you people insult ten year olds, anyone can tell the difference between the two sin caras, especially kids, so if they are going with the whole Heel vs Face cara situation it's just going to be confusing to them...

In the end just a lot of nothing goes on in this show, just there throwing random people together, sorry for the long rant and all that but I'm sure a lot of people have been frustrated with Smackdowns booking as of late, and these aren't just dumb storylines it's just a waste of time, for the audience and others, I hope the trend changes soon but it just doesn't seem like theres a pay off in sight, just like the Nexus angle a lot of time will be wasted and no one is going to get over.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
It's criminal how badly they are misusing Barrett, he's the 2nd best on the mic in the company imo and yet he barely ever cuts a promo and other than Summerslam I don't remember the last ime he won a match that wasn't against a jobber on Superstars.

Rhodes dad is Dusty and he's friends with Orton, he will make it. It's Barrett I'm worried for.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
I don't really have a problem with Cody's current storyline. It just so happens that both Randy Orton and Ted DiBiase - his former Legacy stablemates - are both on SmackDown now. Why not make a brief reunion storyline out of it for a few months? The ultimate loser of the angle is going to be DiBiase anyways.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really have a problem with Cody's current storyline. It just so happens that both Randy Orton and Ted DiBiase - his former Legacy stablemates - are both on SmackDown now. Why not make a brief reunion storyline out of it for a few months? The ultimate loser of the angle is going to be DiBiase anyways.
No I don't have a problem with Cody and Dibiase's storyline, in fact it would be a good match for Night of Champions for the IC title, but I also think Cody should be getting ready for the main event with Orton, I just thought it was dumb to give away a clean decisive match for free on smackdown with no real build up to it, even if it wasn't cody, you still had a champion vs champion match tonight and that should have been a big deal in it's own right, but it wasn't that's what bothers me about the booking...

·
Registered
357 Posts
At this point they should just do away with Smackdown and keep the RAW SuperShow...
Why pull the plug on Smackdown? it still generates a lot of revenue

ratings are not that bad for a Friday night

WWE should just end the brand split so all the fueds can develop on both shows. Three to four shows isn't long enough to build a feud.
If they end the brand-split and go back to the way Raw and Smackdown used to be they would have 8 - 9 shows to build a fued. that's pretty good

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
You have nailed the exact problem in that there is no follow through on the storylines on Smackdown. They have an idea, they do it, and then they abandon it without any payoff.

To touch on the points you made and add a few more (a few I went over in the spoiler thread):

DiBiase/Rhodes- DiBiase flips face supposedly to start a feud with Rhodes over the IC title. But now he's off TV and Rhodes gets involved with Orton? Either he gets in the WHC picture or he wants to bring prestige to the IC title and gets tangled with DiBiase. This both can't be done at the same time.

Christian- He just sucks now. It's like creative said turn Christian heel. And then couldn't figure out how to do it and said forget it, we'll just do the same promo again and again. He'll complain about every result! And called it a day. That's not a heel character that can sustain itself. And now he's grouped with Barrett and McIntyre this week for no apparent reason. Creative has spun its wheels here.

Gabriel- Flipped face and then nothing. Not a single meaningful feud. Not a defining match. This is what I know about Gabriel, he smiles, he's from South Africa, and he does flippy moves. That's it. Again, it's like creative decided to flip him face and then had no clue what to do with him and left it there.

The Usos- Tried to build them up as a credible tag team but now they can't buy their way on TV. What's the point of giving them a new enterance if they don't use it on TV?

Mahal/Khali- They had some sort of Bollywood family type drama that create this alliance and then abandoned it. Granted, the story sucked but because of this abandonment, we were left with two workers who weren't that great in the ring and no reason to care about them. Oh wait, the tension was that they speak in their native tongue. That'll create heat. Seriously, that was the idea they had.

Curtis- Where is he? Why do introductory segments on Smackdown, waste air time, and then not put him on TV? If he wasn't ready or they didn't want him on TV yet, they shouldn't have introduced him. It was pointless and it ruined any future push.

Alicia Fox turned face for some apparent reason. Who knows why. Tamina became a heel. Again, who knows why. They never explained it. No one cares.

I understand it's a B-show and that resources can be split equally, but just because it's the substandard show, doesn't mean they can turn off all logic and expect people to get invested. It's a mess.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
It's criminal how badly they are misusing Barrett, he's the 2nd best on the mic in the company imo and yet he barely ever cuts a promo and other than Summerslam I don't remember the last ime he won a match that wasn't against a jobber on Superstars.

Rhodes dad is Dusty and he's friends with Orton, he will make it. It's Barrett I'm worried for.
As big a Barrett fan I am , hes not the even in the top 3 mic workers in the company , hes good but yeah...
I wouldnt be worried about him , he needs to perfect a few things and then he will be the pushed as the top heel of whatever show Del Rio is not on.

·
Asuka
96,466 Posts
As big a Barrett fan I am , hes not the even in the top 3 mic workers in the company , hes good but yeah...
I wouldnt be worried about him , he needs to perfect a few things and then he will be the pushed as the top heel of whatever show Del Rio is not on.
Perfect what? His mic skills are awesome, his presence is unbelievably commanding, he's got a great look. What else does he need? Ring work? Oh, please. God damn MIZ main evented WrestleMania and had a 6 month title reign, he's not one damn bit better. Barrett isn't winning a world title or main eventing a damn thing, except maybe TNA in the future. WWE has very clearly made up their mind, they're not interested.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
- RAW has always gotten the bigger stories.
- Potential big money matches on tv ? you need those matches to pull in viewers.
- Only three MITB winner have gone on to do much of anything while carry the briefcase (Edge feuded with Benoit & Kane, RVD feuded with Shelton & Miz feuded with Bryan).
- I'm glad they dropped the Rhodes/Dibiase storyline.

·
Registered
863 Posts
SD is just messed up right now. Yeah, Raw has always has better storylines but that is no excuse for SD not to have a storyline going on besides Henry wanting to add Orton to his hall of pain (even this is just shallow feud with no real life in it). Everything on the show just seems to be spinning it's wheels and going nowhere. Nothing has really happened on SD since Christian first won the title at ER.

Nothing interesting at all, but over on Raw things are starting to happen all through the card; Ziggler is having some sort of rivalry with Swagger (hope it ends with them as a tag team coz they could be an awesome one), two teams have formed that actually draw reactions and are facing each other for the tag titles (I see AirBoom as a long term tag team, since WWE doesn't seem to want to do anything with Kofi or Bourne despite them being over), they have a women's storyline going on, even OtungCutty has something going on, then there's Cena/ADR and Punk/HHH/Nash feud. Over on SD what is there? Backstage interviews and post match sneak attacks on Orton, everyone else is in some weird limbo if they aren't feuding with Orton and if they are they just fill the role of person sneak attacking Orton and person in backstage interview when it isn't Orton.

The only thing that Barrett really needs to improve is ring ability (and he's not bad in the ring anyway). But I do have the feeling that he will be top heel on SD soon enough; he's been featured on more shows than Rhodes (always on SD), Mark Henry is bound to be beaten and fall down the card again be it by Orton or Sheamus and Christian is most likely about to be fed to Sheamus. Barrett just has the misfortune of having no one to face to help elevate him. I feel he will be safe, he is just really good at drawing heat when allowed to cut promos.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
You have nailed the exact problem in that there is no follow through on the storylines on Smackdown. They have an idea, they do it, and then they abandon it without any payoff.

To touch on the points you made and add a few more (a few I went over in the spoiler thread):

DiBiase/Rhodes- DiBiase flips face supposedly to start a feud with Rhodes over the IC title. But now he's off TV and Rhodes gets involved with Orton? Either he gets in the WHC picture or he wants to bring prestige to the IC title and gets tangled with DiBiase. This both can't be done at the same time.

Christian- He just sucks now. It's like creative said turn Christian heel. And then couldn't figure out how to do it and said forget it, we'll just do the same promo again and again. He'll complain about every result! And called it a day. That's not a heel character that can sustain itself. And now he's grouped with Barrett and McIntyre this week for no apparent reason. Creative has spun its wheels here.

Gabriel- Flipped face and then nothing. Not a single meaningful feud. Not a defining match. This is what I know about Gabriel, he smiles, he's from South Africa, and he does flippy moves. That's it. Again, it's like creative decided to flip him face and then had no clue what to do with him and left it there.

The Usos- Tried to build them up as a credible tag team but now they can't buy their way on TV. What's the point of giving them a new enterance if they don't use it on TV?

Mahal/Khali- They had some sort of Bollywood family type drama that create this alliance and then abandoned it. Granted, the story sucked but because of this abandonment, we were left with two workers who weren't that great in the ring and no reason to care about them. Oh wait, the tension was that they speak in their native tongue. That'll create heat. Seriously, that was the idea they had.

Curtis- Where is he? Why do introductory segments on Smackdown, waste air time, and then not put him on TV? If he wasn't ready or they didn't want him on TV yet, they shouldn't have introduced him. It was pointless and it ruined any future push.

Alicia Fox turned face for some apparent reason. Who knows why. Tamina became a heel. Again, who knows why. They never explained it. No one cares.

I understand it's a B-show and that resources can be split equally, but just because it's the substandard show, doesn't mean they can turn off all logic and expect people to get invested. It's a mess.

Add to that the fact that Sheamus (their #2 face) has no feud and with the exception of a short feud with Henry, hasn't had one since he's been on Smackdown.

Bryan won the MITB out of nowhere (why?) and then has proceeded to lose constantly (why?).

The Sin Cara heel turn is being handled in the most confusing way possible. How about this: Sin Cara has a match with a face. After the match, he beats up the face. Then out to make the save is...Sin Cara!? Booker T: "What the HALE!? Two Sin Caras?" Boom. Done. How hard is it to book this where it isn't a mess?

Nothing on this show makes any sense. It's like they book it by pulling names out of a hat.

Tonight, *pulls name from hat* ..........Cody Rhodes will face...*pulls name from hat*......Sheamus!

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
God Im sick of people on here whining about Way Boring all the time. Orton has put him over in interviews as someone he likes a lot(including one about a month ago he did)so its not Orton's fault. Some on here complain about the young talent being held down but yet some washed up bum like Henry gets shots everyone on here seems all ok with it?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Smackdown is just really, really lazy when it comes to booking. There aren't any *real* storylines, and it relies so heavily on the old conventions it's ridiculous. How many matches on Smackdown end with either the heel beating down his opponent after the bell, or the face clearing the ring of heels after the bell? And for Smackdown, this is ocnsidered building a feud.

Just look at how directionless the Corre was. Look at how not just Barrett, but most of the roster outside Orton and Henry (and even then, that's been an incredibly poorly-built feud so far, they don't even interact with each other!) is drifting around aimlessly. And yes, look at the face and heel turns that come from nowhere and just serve to confuse the crowd.

Raw at least tries to put different spins on the usual conventions, you know, usually trying to end the show with a big "Whoa!" moment, and you get these long sagas. Whether they're successful or not, at least they're trying. Smackdown doesn't even bother making an effort.

·
No Cena is good Cena
2,418 Posts
Perfect what? His mic skills are awesome, his presence is unbelievably commanding, he's got a great look. What else does he need? Ring work? Oh, please. God damn MIZ main evented WrestleMania and had a 6 month title reign, he's not one damn bit better. Barrett isn't winning a world title or main eventing a damn thing, except maybe TNA in the future. WWE has very clearly made up their mind, they're not interested.
I share your outrage but I have faith that Barrett will eventually get the main event push he deserves. Last year he proved that he is more than capable of handling the spotlight. Now he's in the "paying his dues" phase and he's proving that he can handle that with dignity. I'm calling it right now - Wade will win the 2012 Royal Rumble.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
Add to that the fact that Sheamus (their #2 face) has no feud and with the exception of a short feud with Henry, hasn't had one since he's been on Smackdown.

Bryan won the MITB out of nowhere (why?) and then has proceeded to lose constantly (why?).

The Sin Cara heel turn is being handled in the most confusing way possible. How about this: Sin Cara has a match with a face. After the match, he beats up the face. Then out to make the save is...Sin Cara!? Booker T: "What the HALE!? Two Sin Caras?" Boom. Done. How hard is it to book this where it isn't a mess?

Nothing on this show makes any sense. It's like they book it by pulling names out of a hat.

Tonight, *pulls name from hat* ..........Cody Rhodes will face...*pulls name from hat*......Sheamus!
That would actually make a really good fued over the IC Title. I'd much rather see that then A TAG TEAM MATCH PLAYA.

·
Registered
863 Posts
God Im sick of people on here whining about Way Boring all the time. Orton has put him over in interviews as someone he likes a lot(including one about a month ago he did)so its not Orton's fault. Some on here complain about the young talent being held down but yet some washed up bum like Henry gets shots everyone on here seems all ok with it?
I don't believe anyone blames Orton for Barrett's condition and besides people complain because people care and are entertained by Barrett's segments and he is just drifting aimlessly on SD (more so than must the SD regulars) and losing helter skelter. His only wins since coming to SD are over Rey, Kofi, Barretta and Bryan only about 5-6 wins in an entire year. He has rarely been given promo time and comes off most segments looking bad. Wouldn't you be a little frustrated if it seemed that one of your favorites was consistently being badly booked?

Henry is getting one shot at the title and chances are he won't win and Orton moves on, or he does only to lose it to Sheamus or some other young talent. In the mean time there is no heel that seems to be on Orton's level other than Henry (could they have given the monster push they have given Henry to someone else, yeah, but that's another story). It's better Henry has a go at Orton and they try to build up a new heel/face than to serve up a fresh talent to Orton for no reason. They aren't building up any heel right now so I'm wagering Henry wins it and drops to Sheamus.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
I don't believe anyone blames Orton for Barrett's condition and besides people complain because people care and are entertained by Barrett's segments and he is just drifting aimlessly on SD (more so than must the SD regulars) and losing helter skelter. His only wins since coming to SD are over Rey, Kofi, Barretta and Bryan only about 5-6 wins in an entire year. He has rarely been given promo time and comes off most segments looking bad. Wouldn't you be a little frustrated if it seemed that one of your favorites was consistently being badly booked?

Henry is getting one shot at the title and chances are he won't win and Orton moves on, or he does only to lose it to Sheamus or some other young talent. In the mean time there is no heel that seems to be on Orton's level other than Henry (could they have given the monster push they have given Henry to someone else, yeah, but that's another story). It's better Henry has a go at Orton and they try to build up a new heel/face than to serve up a fresh talent to Orton for no reason. They aren't building up any heel right now so I'm wagering Henry wins it and drops to Sheamus.
I find it funny that you would include him, you may aswell include all the local jobbers he's beaten on Superstars aswell.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
Smackdown is just really, really lazy when it comes to booking. There aren't any *real* storylines, and it relies so heavily on the old conventions it's ridiculous. How many matches on Smackdown end with either the heel beating down his opponent after the bell, or the face clearing the ring of heels after the bell? And for Smackdown, this is ocnsidered building a feud.

Just look at how directionless the Corre was. Look at how not just Barrett, but most of the roster outside Orton and Henry (and even then, that's been an incredibly poorly-built feud so far, they don't even interact with each other!) is drifting around aimlessly. And yes, look at the face and heel turns that come from nowhere and just serve to confuse the crowd.

Raw at least tries to put different spins on the usual conventions, you know, usually trying to end the show with a big "Whoa!" moment, and you get these long sagas. Whether they're successful or not, at least they're trying. Smackdown doesn't even bother making an effort.
This exactly.

Not related to the quoted post, but as for Wade Barrett, if they followed anything they showed this week, they'd have Christian/Barrett work together on Smackdown since they helped beat down Sheamus together. That would give both men something to do. But as I wrote in my previous post, it's as if they forget everything they aired last week and don't even try to continue things.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts