Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have days when you simply can't sleep? You toss and turn but you're wide awake for hours? I tend to go through this every month and although I've tried different ways to cope with it, nothing changes. My family doctor prescribed Gravol (yes, it's related to nausea but it's supposed to help me sleep) and it doesn't do anything. I've talked to my doctor about this problem many times and he doesn't give me any tips or provide with me any medication. I was taking tranquilizers last year but he doesn't want to prescribe them to me anymore. Do any of you have this problem and if so, what do you do? I have exams coming up; therefore I need to get as much sleep as possible in the next couple of weeks.

·
DOOMED
33,209 Posts
I always thought it would be Cerbs that spent the night tossing and turning.

I think you can always try different strategies, like watching TV or listening to soothing music. But if you're willing to go down the drugs route, I'd expect you to be able to find something pretty easily that'll knock you out.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Sleeping problems are my middle name. Sleep walking, sleep talking, sleep paralysis, night terrors, REM sleep, insomnia... you name it, I've got it.

I genuinely just don't like sleeping, I don't think. Lol. I never feel comfortable lying in a bed, alone, in a dark room, shutting my eyes... it just makes me feel vulnerable or something. Lying there asleep while the rest of the world is awake... it just freaks me out a little. I'm a pretty restless person in life anyway, I can't stay in the same room and stuff for too long, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I've heard that Tramadol is supposed to be good for giving you the best sleep ever, but I personally have never tried it or anything else for that matter. Haven't even bothered to go to the doctor or anything, just kinda learned to deal with it I guess.

Hope you get it sorted out. :)

·
40,796 Posts
Well you don't want to become a pill addict. Do you exercise daily? Do you think it's anxiety related?

Doctors are so f'n useless these days from my experience. All the old school good, smart doctors have retired for the most part. I'm not surprised your doctor doesn't help.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do you think he's that frustrated? :(

Yeah, I've tried that but it doesn't make a difference. My father and I have the same problem. I think part of the reason is because we're both very energetic so if we don't exercise, our bodies won't be tired and we won't sleep. It's REALLY annoying! I sprained my foot a couple of weeks ago because I was sleep deprived for four days.

Yeah, I don't know if I want to take any medication. It scares me that it might be my only option.

Sleeping problems are my middle name. Sleep walking, sleep talking, sleep paralysis, night terrors, REM sleep, insomnia... you name it, I've got it.

I genuinely just don't like sleeping, I don't think. Lol. I never feel comfortable lying in a bed, alone, in a dark room, shutting my eyes... it just makes me feel vulnerable or something. Lying there asleep while the rest of the world is awake... it just freaks me out a little. I'm a pretty restless person in life anyway, I can't stay in the same room and stuff for too long, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I've heard that Tramadol is supposed to be good for giving you the best sleep ever, but I personally have never tried it or anything else for that matter. Haven't even bothered to go to the doctor or anything, just kinda learned to deal with it I guess.

Thanks Ashleigh! :) So, you feel that you can function normally when you don't sleep? I can't! My stomach is upside down, I get pains all over my body, very irritated and I can't focus on anything.

Well you don't want to become a pill addict. Do you exercise daily? Do you think it's anxiety related?

Doctors are so f'n useless these days from my experience. All the old school good, smart doctors have retired for the most part. I'm not surprised your doctor doesn't help.
No, I don't want to become a pill addict. I don't exercise on a daily basis and I know I should. It's just hard for me to find the time when I have so much school related work. I tend to exercise a lot more in the summer because I love being outside but it's harder to do so in the winter.

Well, it is anxiety related sometimes. I have anxiety problems so that definitely doesn't help but there have been times when I felt fine and still couldn't sleep.

I know! It's unfortunate. Anytime I mention a problem, he says "it's nothing! Don't worry about it." Why can't he run some tests, damn it!? lol.

·
40,796 Posts
It can't be your only option. Humans survived without these bullshit drugs for thousands of years.

Try rationing your sleep. You could start out sleeping four hours and add more and more time (like 15-30 minute increments) as you need more and more sleep. You'll be exhausted to start out most likely, but it's like a reset button for the sleep cycle.

In other words, I think it could be mental so you perhaps need a shock to the system in order to get the mind right.

Does thinking about not being able to sleep keep you from sleeping? In other words the less sleep you get, the more you think about it, the harder it is to get to sleep; a nasty snowball effect?

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got a suggestion, but I'm too much of a shy gentlemen to say it.
I think I know what it is. Tell me through rep or pm me if you're to shy to say it here.

It can't be your only option. Humans survived without these bullshit drugs for thousands of years.

Try rationing your sleep. You could start out sleeping four hours and add more and more time (like 15-30 minute increments) as you need more and more sleep. You'll be exhausted to start out most likely, but it's like a reset button for the sleep cycle.

In other words, I think it could be mental so you perhaps need a shock to the system in order to get the mind right.

Does thinking about not being able to sleep keep you from sleeping? In other words the less sleep you get, the more you think about it, the harder it is to get to sleep; a nasty snowball effect?
I know but when my family doctor doesn't give me any useful suggestions, it's hard to figure out another way! You're right though, humans survived without medication before. I can do it too!

I'll give it a try. That might work actually. I'll try anything at this point! I've tried meditation, drinking sleeping tea, tranquillizers, etc. I'll try rationing my sleep tonight and let you know how it goes.

Well, I'll get very upset if I don't sleep for a couple of days. I didn't get much sleep on Wednesday night and on Thursday, I was feeling like shit. My back hurt so much that night, I wanted to cry.

·
40,796 Posts
Now this isn't to say modern medicine is bad, it's worked wonders. Sleeping pills aren't one of these wonders.

If that doesn't work, you could try acupuncture. I've never had it done but it's been around forever and it works from what I've seen with second hand experience.

Try exercising daily too. I mean intense cardio workouts. It's easy for me to say as our lives can be busy and hectic, but you should devote that time for yourself above all other things. It may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. And you'll be healthier as a "side effect"!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Thanks Ashleigh! :) So, you feel that you can function normally when you don't sleep? I can't! My stomach is upside down, I get pains all over my body, very irritated and I can't focus on anything.
Wow, that sounds scary. :eek: Thankfully I've never experienced anything like that. I can usually function just fine regardless of how much sleep I get.

I used to get up for work at 7am, get home around 6pm, stay up and watch Raw at 2am-4am, go online after for an hour or so, then get up and go to work at 7am all over again. LOL. Seems a bit crazy but I always seemed to get by okay with just about 2 hours sleep. I don't drink coffee or take any medication either and I'm still okay.

The only thing I would be worried about is that I'm prone to fainting, which results in me having really low blood pressure and feeling sick/weak for hours. Don't know if that has anything to do with my sleeping patterns though.

·
✔
21,671 Posts
I can honestly say that I can't remember when I couldn't get to sleep within 10 mins. I always do a bit of exercise before I got to bed. Maybe some of that might work, tire you out a bit so it's easier.

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hiplop™;9095917 said:
count blue cats jumping over a fence... it works
Hehe! I'll keep that in mind. If it works for you, it might work for me!

Now this isn't to say modern medicine is bad, it's worked wonders. Sleeping pills aren't one of these wonders.

If that doesn't work, you could try acupuncture. I've never had it done but it's been around forever and it works from what I've seen with second hand experience.

Try exercising daily too. I mean intense cardio workouts. It's easy for me to say as our lives can be busy and hectic, but you should devote that time for yourself above all other things. It may or may not work, but it's worth a shot. And you'll be healthier as a "side effect"!
I think I'll exercise daily before I try acupuncture. Exercising has so many benefits for your health but here I am not doing it enough. It would be the smartest thing to do. Fitting in a minimum of 30 mins of exercise in my daily life is not that big of deal. I should have started doing this a lot sooner but I always find a way out of it.

Wow, that sounds scary. :eek: Thankfully I've never experienced anything like that. I can usually function just fine regardless of how much sleep I get.

I used to get up for work at 7am, get home around 6pm, stay up and watch Raw at 2am-4am, go online after for an hour or so, then get up and go to work at 7am all over again. LOL. Seems a bit crazy but I always seemed to get by okay with just about 2 hours sleep. I don't drink coffee or take any medication either and I'm still okay.

The only thing I would be worried about is that I'm prone to fainting, which results in me having really low blood pressure and feeling sick/weak for hours. Don't know if that has anything to do with my sleeping patterns though.
:eek: Woah! I don't know how some people do it. If I sleep for 2 hours, I'll feel like vomiting and I'll have no choice but to sleep once I'm done with school/work or else I will get sick.

I get sick easily too. Hmmm the fainting could have to do with your lack of sleep. You should probably see a doctor for that just in case.

I can honestly say that I can't remember when I couldn't get to sleep within 10 mins. I always do a bit of exercise before I got to bed. Maybe some of that might work, tire you out a bit so it's easier.
I think I'll give it a try. It seems like my safest and healthiest bet!

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
:eek: Woah! I don't know how some people do it. If I sleep for 2 hours, I'll feel like vomiting and I'll have no choice but to sleep once I'm done with school/work or else I will get sick.

I get sick easily too. Hmmm the fainting could have to do with your lack of sleep. You should probably see a doctor for that just in case.
Ahh that's horrible. :(

I've been to the hospital about my fainting before, but they just fed me lots of sugar and told me stop exercising for a while. Didn't ask me any questions about sleeping or anything. I guess it's a mystery best left unsolved. :p

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would have agreed to this two years ago but I've stopped smoking weed.

Ahh that's horrible. :(

I've been to the hospital about my fainting before, but they just fed me lots of sugar and told me stop exercising for a while. Didn't ask me any questions about sleeping or anything. I guess it's a mystery best left unsolved. :p
I KNOW! It seems like everyone else can function except me!

Oh really? They should be asking you these questions. You shouldn't be fainting frequently. How often does it happen?

·
40,796 Posts
I bet the daily exercise goes a long way toward helping you sleep.

Starting the daily routine is the hardest part. It becomes automatic at some point as I'm sure you're aware. I'm just reminding you.;)

·
Chris Jericho > You
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bet the daily exercise goes a long way toward helping you sleep.

Starting the daily routine is the hardest part. It becomes automatic at some point as I'm sure you're aware. I'm just reminding you.;)
:) Thank you! I appreciate your advice. You're a smart one! ;)

·
We Are Legion
484 Posts

That's why you lock the door and windows in the room. Having a German Shepherd sleeping 1 foot from your bed doesn't hurt either. :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts