Wrestling Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I was a TNA fan for maybe a decade before being turned off in 2014-2015 (The shows where Team 3.D began feuding with Hardy Boys and Davey/Edwards). I'm now giving Slammiversary 2020 a try after being told it's the best current wrestling show in 2020. Just thought I'd post some thoughts as we go on if you all don't mind. Might be interesting to read the perspective of someone who doesn't watch every week. I'm a regular watcher of AEW which is kind of just killing my passion for wrestling most weeks.

- The opening video package was mint. Gets me hyped up for the show ahead.

- Motor City Machine Guns returning is really cool. I was a big fan of their work back in the day. I think Impact could really do with the fake crowd that WWE and AEW have right now though even if it's just piped in. Rascalz were fine opposition for MCMG and a good match was had my only complaint is the ref just standing there watching the double team stuff instead of trying to maintain order.

- Moose looks like a complete star. Didn't mind the hardcore match on display here either.

- Johnny Swinger is fun.

- No idea who Johnny Bravo is but not sure why he's here. Women's match is your typical rumble but the Knockouts division has plenty of potential. Was particularly impressed by Kiera Hogan, Kylie Rae, Madison Rayne, Rosemary and Taya. Johnny Bravo not necessary but at least it was short and made sense as a comedy skit. Will give it that.

- Heath Slater segment was alright. Nothing too amazing but not bad either.

- Chris Bey is probably the best wrestler I've never heard of. Him and Willie Mack are both phenomenal athletes. Good match here.

- I like The North. Shamrock still in awesome shape and I like the fact The North have had a long run with these tag titles. Decent match and a massive breath of fresh air to see the former WWE stars being used properly to help get over the homegrown Impact guys.

- Rich Swann has a lot of charisma. I really like him.

- Deonna and Jordynne are both stars.

- Why is Eddie Edwards not in gear? Good match here really like Swann, Ace Austin is another great worker that I've never heard of, Eric Young is being used well.

- Even enjoyed the finish. Imagine bringing in two former WWE guys and immediately putting them into a feud with a 21 year old homegrown star to help get him over. What a concept.

---

Really a good top to bottom show. Everyone looks like a wrestler except for Tommy Dreamer really but I can give that a pass because of his legendary status. No stupid comedy skits every 5 minutes or shit that doesn't make sense just a good top to bottom wrestling show. Plenty of interesting developments to come also with Anderson/Gallows Vs Austin/Fulton, Eric Young, MCMG/The North, EC3, Heath Slater and whoever else is coming in.

Big breath of fresh air. I will be watching the TV show this week. This might very well be my jam now.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
I grew up a TNA fan but left in 2014-2015. Started watching AEW which has had some glimpses of brilliance but has generally been a let down. I had been told that Impact was the best wrestling in the United States currently so gave this show a shot.

I was really impressed. Sure, it doesn't look as good as AEW or WWE but does it really need to? I got to discover some brand new talents that I hadn't know about before such as Ace Austin, Chris Bey, The North and a bunch of talented women's wrestlers. They've seemingly picked up Eric Young, Good Brothers and Heath Slater on long term contracts which is great as all four are great pick ups. Shelley and Sabin still have it as well and are a nod to Impact's past which I can appreciate as I grew up watching those guys.

From a booking perspective it's such a breath of fresh air to see a company actually trying to focus on their youth and homegrown stars (And yes, I count EY, MCMG, EC3 as homegrown stars) by using the former WWE guys to help enhance them. The only guy who was embarrassed by a WWE guy tonight was the fella (Don't remember his name) in the Heath Slater segment but The North got one over on Ken Shamrock, EY (If you count him as WWE) lost, Dreamer lost. If it was AEW they'd be force feeding the WWE guys down our throat.and utilising them as stars but Impact seems to believe in their guys.

I'm genuinely interested to see what comes next. Ace Austin and Fulton Vs The Good Brothers is exciting, EC3's return is exciting, EY and what he's going to do next is exciting, The North are exciting, Rich Swann is a star, Chris Bey is a star, Moose is a star.

For the first time in a long time I'm excited about wrestling in North America again. I just hope this isn't a one off good show.

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
I grew up a TNA fan but left in 2014-2015. Started watching AEW which has had some glimpses of brilliance but has generally been a let down. I had been told that Impact was the best wrestling in the United States currently so gave this show a shot.

I was really impressed. Sure, it doesn't look as good as AEW or WWE but does it really need to? I got to discover some brand new talents that I hadn't know about before such as Ace Austin, Chris Bey, The North and a bunch of talented women's wrestlers. They've seemingly picked up Eric Young, Good Brothers and Heath Slater on long term contracts which is great as all four are great pick ups. Shelley and Sabin still have it as well and are a nod to Impact's past which I can appreciate as I grew up watching those guys.

From a booking perspective it's such a breath of fresh air to see a company actually trying to focus on their youth and homegrown stars (And yes, I count EY, MCMG, EC3 as homegrown stars) by using the former WWE guys to help enhance them. The only guy who was embarrassed by a WWE guy tonight was the fella (Don't remember his name) in the Heath Slater segment but The North got one over on Ken Shamrock, EY (If you count him as WWE) lost, Dreamer lost. If it was AEW they'd be force feeding the WWE guys down our throat.and utilising them as stars but Impact seems to believe in their guys.

I'm genuinely interested to see what comes next. Ace Austin and Fulton Vs The Good Brothers is exciting, EC3's return is exciting, EY and what he's going to do next is exciting, The North are exciting, Rich Swann is a star, Chris Bey is a star, Moose is a star.

For the first time in a long time I'm excited about wrestling in North America again. I just hope this isn't a one off good show.
Apparently I get the TV channel Impact airs on so I will watch Tuesday afternoon. If there are no segments with liquids being poured on people's heads and no small children getting moves on adults i may start tuning in more too.

Like you, I left TNA a long time ago. I have no idea who 95% of these people are so one test is if they can do a good job of explaining who people are to new viewers. Given they just made those big signings, I would hope they know they need to do that.

I have not finished last night's show yet, so my two negatives right now are lack of any crowd noise and the announcers came across as blah.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Apparently I get the TV channel Impact airs on so I will watch Tuesday afternoon. If there are no segments with liquids being poured on people's heads and no small children getting moves on adults i may start tuning in more too.

Like you i left TNA a long time ago. I have no idea who 95% of these people are so one test is if they can do a good job of explaining who people are to new viewers. Given they just made those big signings, I would hope they know they need to do that.

I have not finished last night's show yet, so my two negatives right now are lack of any crowd noise and the announcers came across as blah.
I feel they did an acceptable job of explaining who some of these guys were. The main event guys for example each had a run down of who they were and what they were about. Austin as the young future of the business and the next AJ Styles, Eddie Edwards the former World Champion and veteran, Trey the member of the beloved group The Rascalz. They even explained adequately that Ace Austin and Trey had problems in the lead up to the show. Fancy that!

I do like a lot of the homegrown stars they have. None of them were cringeworthy or bland.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was a TNA fan for maybe a decade before being turned off in 2014-2015 (The shows where Team 3.D began feuding with Hardy Boys and Davey/Edwards). I'm now giving Slammiversary 2020 a try after being told it's the best current wrestling show in 2020. Just thought I'd post some thoughts as we go on if you all don't mind. Might be interesting to read the perspective of someone who doesn't watch every week. I'm a regular watcher of AEW which is kind of just killing my passion for wrestling most weeks.

- Motor City Machine Guns returning is really cool. I was a big fan of their work back in the day. I think Impact could really do with the fake crowd that WWE and AEW have right now though even if it's just piped in. Rascalz were fine opposition for MCMG and a good match was had my only complaint is the ref just standing there watching the double team stuff instead of trying to maintain order.

- Moose looks like a complete star. Didn't mind the hardcore match on display here either.

- Johnny Swinger is fun.

- No idea who Johnny Bravo is but not sure why he's here. Women's match is your typical rumble but the Knockouts division has plenty of potential. Was particularly impressed by Kiera Hogan, Kylie Rae, Madison Rayne, Rosemary and Taya. Johnny Bravo not necessary but at least it was short and made sense as a comedy skit. Will give it that.

- Chris Bey is probably the best wrestler I've never heard of. Him and Willie Mack are both phenomenal athletes. Good match here.

- I like The North. Shamrock still in awesome shape and I like the fact The North have had a long run with these tag titles. Decent match and a massive breath of fresh air to see the former WWE stars being used properly to help get over the homegrown Impact guys.

- Why is Eddie Edwards not in gear? Good match here really like Swann, Ace Austin is another great worker that I've never heard of, Eric Young is being used well.

- Even enjoyed the finish. Imagine bringing in two former WWE guys and immediately putting them into a feud with a 21 year old homegrown star to help get him over. What a concept.

---

Really a good top to bottom show. Everyone looks like a wrestler except for Tommy Dreamer really but I can give that a pass because of his legendary status. No stupid comedy skits every 5 minutes or shit that doesn't make sense just a good top to bottom wrestling show. Plenty of interesting developments to come also with Anderson/Gallows Vs Austin/Fulton, Eric Young, MCMG/The North, EC3, Heath Slater and whoever else is coming in.

Big breath of fresh air. I will be watching the TV show this week. This might very well be my jam now.
Aces Austin as awesome brom You should check out his work from last year.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Bey/ Mack was realllllllly good. MOTN, probably. Loved it. Mack is the man, sadly he'll never get the praise & success he deserves. Bey is going to be fantastic in 2-3 years, such a promising talent.
EE's title win was a feel good moment for me. He's the heart and soul of Impact atm. EC3 vs Eddie should be great.

Fun show. Should be an exciting month for Impact.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I assume as Gallows and Anderson seemed to hint towards a drinking gimmick and EC3 had the 3rd of the 3 cups that Anderson/Gallows will turn on Eddie Edwards helping EC3 win the world title.

The feud I'm most excited for down the line though is EC3 as the Impact Champion vs Moose as the TNA Champion to dissolve TNA.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I assume as Gallows and Anderson seemed to hint towards a drinking gimmick and EC3 had the 3rd of the 3 cups that Anderson/Gallows will turn on Eddie Edwards helping EC3 win the world title.

The feud I'm most excited for down the line though is EC3 as the Impact Champion vs Moose as the TNA Champion to dissolve TNA.
Hopefully you are right.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #151

I didn't think about that and would actually would be cool if Anderson and Gallows turn on Edwards costing him the title to EC3. They should have capitalized on all of these free agents they have brought in with some kind of invasion angle. It sucks that there is no crowd to really take advantage of some of this.

My hope is that they don't feed The North to Anderson and Gallows right away because we know eventually they will lose to them.

I know I keep saying this, but Moose needs to be locked down and they need to get that Impact title on him. The guy has improved so much over the last 2 years and he has "IT". Hopefully he will be the one to dethrone EC3 in a unification title match.

While WWE has had its total downs the past few years, AEW has been up and down week in week out, but Impact has been fairly consistent this past year.

Hoping that they can use some of the new free agents coming in to help build up guys like Ace Austin, Chris Bey, Willie Mack and The North who are the future of Impact. I know Mack is older, but for a heavier set guy he can always move around in the ring.

Just sucks that I don't get AXS TV in my area, so I always have to wait a week later to watch off of Impact Plus. I do have other means to watch the show, but its not as good as Impact Plus.

This is awesome though because at least Slammiversary has more people semi-interested in the product and not just us few that keep posting. I am glad for Impact and AEW and for whenever we have MLW, ROH, and NWA return with some NJPW sprinkled in. I feel bad not having watched much WWE in the last 1.5 years, but their product has not been that great.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My review, as someone who hasn't watched TNA in almost 10 years besides some youtube segments here and there, I thought this was a pretty good show.

- Lol Josh Mathews voice brings some old RAW nostalgia back.

- Well, what a way to kick things off, and if there are lapsed fans like me, i'm hooked. MCMG!
Alex Shelley is all time favorite wrestler to never win any world title, he's in my top 5-7 ever. He's such a great wrestler, great technician, unique submissions, great striking, that explosive inside out german suplex he did in the match looked awesome, god I love watching him in the ring. Impressive showing by the opponents, the guy in black trunks is such a good athlete and the other guy who they said could have made it in MMA is also alright. Great opener.

- Good build-up promo for Dreamer/Moose. Moose looks like a great dominant heel should. So, if I understood correctly, Moose created his own title? and lol that video package all the guys Moose named were old fucks (RVD, Dreamer, Shamrock..).

- Nice Gold/White attire for Moose. This was a glorified squash that didn't do much for me.
Dreamer got an advantage twice in the match due to Moose missing a move from the top rop...someone Moose's size shouldn't be going to the top rop unless there's a sense of urgency and he's in a competitive match desperate to win.

- KO Gauntlet. So this is Kylie Rae the one who left AEW due to pressure?
She's a good worker, Bayley 2013-2015 vibes with the gimmick.. Anyways, the match didn't do much for me, a bit sloppy and all over the place, but kylie was the standout for me. She had good execution and she's pretty athletic.

- Chris Bey looks like Future (the rapper) with the shades lol. Great look, easily hateable. If someone looked like that I'd make turn his heel act up to 11. I like this guy.
However the match started and Willie Mack took my breath away, what an athlete. I enjoyed this, would have had Bey win by kicking him in the balls first, not scratch his eyes when the ref wasn't looking, but alright.

- Didn't care for the tag match, Shamrock looked like a guy who just knew his spots and could do them and was tyring to remember them. But decent showing by the champs, and awesome looking forward for MCMG/The North. I'd watch anything Shelley's doing.

- Great women's match. Deonna is a great wrestler.

- Eric Young? more like Eric old, ffs he aged 40 years in 15.
Lol, swerve for Swan.
I like Ace Austin, great future.
Incredible babyface performance by Swann. Eddie won me over with his performance as well. Great match, and good debut by The Good Brothers.

Nice tease for EC3!

Great show, I'll be watching Tuesday for MCMG, hopefully, EC3 debuts as well.
I laughed so hard at the bold because that is exactly what I thought verbatim.

Didn't watch the show but followed along on social media.

Had there been a crowd for this, or even a fake crowd like WWE and AEW have, maybe I'd be more compelled to order the show. But having a show built on surprises with no crowd was just a little too weird for me.

But, I have heard some good things about the show. Might have to check out at least the Women's Title match and the main event.
Check it out. It was a good show top to bottom, the only negative was the Mosse vs Dreamer match imo.

- Johnny Swinger is fun.

---

My sentiments exactly. I decided to give it a try about 2 weeks agi and caught up on their last 8-10 weeks of TV and their last PPV before Slammiversary to see what it was like since I got so distraught about the direction AEW is going and after watching a few shows I'm hooked on Impact that I even supported them and bought the PPV and just barely knew who they were and never really watched them but would read results here and there. They do just about everything right imo, storylines that are consistent and make sense, passable to good wrestling, the comedy is actually funny, the characters actually have character. Young and exciting up and comers like my boy Ace Austin and Chris Bey. Great tag team in The North. These guys get it. I'm on board with this. Glad to finally be able to watch a decent US product. Glad to have you back on Chip.

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
all the years ive seen this company and even all the really good ppvs they have put on over the past 15 months.I thought this was one of the worst ppvs in the history of the company. Not including the few second debuts. This is at least for me of course but this is the weakest roster they have ever had

·
Registered
484 Posts
I am kind of warming up to the idea of EE as Champ although I was a hoping by a big win of a new arrival in classic TNA fashion. "OK" seems like the overall booking of the Don Callis regime basically. I miss the mad house type of TNA/Impact vibe.

Certainly, the wrestling business is historically regressive and oppressive internally particularly toward women and wildly protective of antiquated ideas of manliness. That isn't, however, a matter of traditionalism or suspension of disbelief. It's okay not to like it as an angle or a style of presentation. People just need to say that they don't like intergender wrestling there's nothing wrong with that but using bullshit like suspension of disbelief in regards to size or traditionalism in terms of presentation as you're reasoning while accepting things like Daniel Bryan beating Kane and Undertaker conjuring lightning is hypocritical.

If Wrestler A doesn't want to lose to a woman in a fake sport that's on them(I'm sure you'll find Wrestler B willing to do it). That's a problem for a different discussion altogether.
I disagree suspension of disbelief matters. Cause in wrestling it's fake so you have to try your damnest to make what we see look real. And when you have a girl like that beating guys the size of Brian Cage, it makes little sense, it becomes an Adam Sandler movie. Personally it takes me away from the action. There was a match involving Tessa with many contenders there was even Elgin, Moose, etc....And the way they booked it, they tried their damnest for none of these guys to punch her. We could say that was realistic cause one punch by one of them should knock her out. But all it did was make it turn a joke. I thought it was embarrassing to watch. She basically won the match cause all the big guys took themselves out. Impact pushed this stupid shit too far. And in many ways it was a gift the way it ended, no more stupid shit.

Tuned into to watch Impact for the first time in ages, was kind of disappointed

Deonna Purrazzo vs Jordynne Grace was good and glad to see Kylie Rae won the number 1 contendership, but everything else was kind of meh.

I haven't watched Impact regularly in years, kind of here and there, but what the hell happened to Eddie Edwards?

I get not wanting to debut EC3 and have him immediately win your world title, but that's what everyone wanted to see. Sorry but Rich Swann and Eric Young didn't do it for me.
They could still have EC3 become Champ. With one stipulation that could create good heat: Back years ago, Ethan was stripped of the title because of Hardy Boys Shanigans. Henceforth, he never lost the title. So the title would have to be returned to him. And all Champs that have won it since(Drew Galloway, Hardy, Tessa etc...) would have to be stripped from the books. So they take away the title from EE and give it to EC3. EE as a likeable blue collar type that he is would automatically look sympathetic, would go after EC3 and his championship. Then when the title match happen, the Good Brothers turn on EE, helping EC3 win. Then a vendetta starts between the two guys. With the underdog EE fighting Ethan and his boys. You could have the two guys exchange the title for a few months a la Foley-Rock.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My thoughts on Slammiversary:

• The intro featured children again which I think are still tied into the story somehow. Judging from all the vignettes the angle is still not finished, and I expect more new faces in the coming weeks and months.
  • The opener was fine. One good thing about MCMG is they are both in the best shape of their career, the bad thing is they have slowed down in the ring considerably.
  • The Moose / Dreamer match was probably better than everyone expected, meaning it was just about passable.
  • The knockouts gauntlets was meh. It was almost as if the knockouts weren't being treated seriously. At least it provided some light entertainment.
  • Willie Mack & Chris Bey was decent but uneventful.
  • I have no opinion on Heath Miller because I'm not familiar with any of his work, so I don't understand the gags of him not being allowed in the building or that he has children.
  • The North winning tonight was the right decision. I have enjoyed Shamrock since he returned and thought every PPV match he was involved in was better than people were saying. This one though was his worst and he looked like a lost little boy in the ring. I think he had no clue what he was doing and winged it.
  • Deonna Purrazzo made a fan out of me tonight. This was the best match of the night.
  • Main event was quite unpredictable. I will say that Eric Young & the Good Brothers both have some of the best theme music I've ever heard in Impact Wrestling / TNA. EY looks old and hagged he needs to change up his look, he was nearly unrecognisable since we last saw him... he looks mid 50's at least!
Overall this was a good show. I've seen a lot of people say that it was solid and decent etc not so much amazing or poor. I think the whole surprise elements were underwhelming because they actually delivered on several names they were teasing... so it was ironically unsurprising. There were definitely no holy shit moments. The best thing about Slammiversary has been the build up to the show and also the teasers it's left for us with EC3 to keep tuning in so they've done a really good job there.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
The intro featured children again which I think are still tied into the story somehow. Judging from all the vignettes the angle is still not finished, and I expect more new faces in the coming weeks and months.
That's a Heath tease. While he was in his story about being undrafted in the first draft of the new brand split he dropped a line about "I've got kids" in the promo, it ended up being a catchphrase and a running joke and he kept upping the number of kids he said he had. This is the original promo he dropped that in.

It even got used so much they gave him a shirt about it.

And of course WWE being WWE they took it too far and drove it into the ground...

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's a Heath tease. While he was in his story about being undrafted in the first draft of the new brand split he dropped a line about "I've got kids" in the promo, it ended up being a catchphrase and a running joke and he kept upping the number of kids he said he had. This is the original promo he dropped that in.

It even got used so much they gave him a shirt about it.

And of course WWE being WWE they took it too far and drove it into the ground...
Thanks for filling me in on all that. So the opening to Slammiversary with the boy and girl saying 'theyre coming' is referenced by Heath's children and is related to him?

141 - 160 of 163 Posts