Wrestling Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I enjoyed it, I didn’t go in with any expectations as the surprises were never going to be as big as they hyped as that is Wrestling 101. And they may be incredibly clever in keeping some of them back, but also there was that talk of some falling through. I can understand the angst of some feeling they were cheated out of money by promises and hype, but I ask those people what did you expect; another case of people building up too much in their heads of what they want that anything they did was going to be an anticlimax.

I think what I enjoyed most is that I did not know a lot of the talents on the show, just heard mumblings of whom is good etc. For example The North, I’m sold on them and that’s the first match I’ve seen of theirs. The Knockouts have always been the go to from an outside spectator and they did not disappoint. The X Division match was decent, MCMG’s back, I enjoyed the Moose stique even if the match was meh. It wasn’t great enough to get me on board as an avid Impact viewer with so much else to watch, but I enjoyed it and the roster additions were decent enough for their position and maybe more still to come.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Yeah but wrestlers themselves don't wanna put a woman over a lot of the time. They believe it hurts them in career wise the famous story of Jeff jarret being offered 100k to lose his title to chyna and he left the room to think about it then came back an said he wanted double that and chyna was a physically imposing women who'd you believe could beat up a mid card comedy act like jarret. That's what you hear about the buisness. And there are traditionalist who don't wanna see 125lb women be competitive with 265lb guys and alot of people think it hurts the product. In terms of the undertaker and character's like that people didn't like them at first either thought they was to cartoonist and it buried the business but if the acts good enough people will suspend the disbelief and get into it and maybe one day people will feel the same about intergender wrestling but right now people still stick there nose up about in and out the business it's just one of them things

Certainly, the wrestling business is historically regressive and oppressive internally particularly toward women and wildly protective of antiquated ideas of manliness. That isn't, however, a matter of traditionalism or suspension of disbelief. It's okay not to like it as an angle or a style of presentation. People just need to say that they don't like intergender wrestling there's nothing wrong with that but using bullshit like suspension of disbelief in regards to size or traditionalism in terms of presentation as you're reasoning while accepting things like Daniel Bryan beating Kane and Undertaker conjuring lightning is hypocritical.

If Wrestler A doesn't want to lose to a woman in a fake sport that's on them(I'm sure you'll find Wrestler B willing to do it). That's a problem for a different discussion altogether.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ordered the PPV to support the company. Good show, I was entertained, I didn't think it was event of the year but it was a good event with some solid wrestling and nice surprises. Here's my ratings...(to anyone who doesn't know I rate from 0-100, if you want to convert it to star ratings just consider 20 points for each star.)

1. Rascals vs Motor City Machine Guns - 70/100 - Very solid tag team opener, glad to see MCMG back, I watched them briefly in NJPW.

2. Moose vs Tommy Dreamer - 32/100 - Kind of a dud but enjoyed the athleticism of Moose. Tommy I love ya man but please don't wrestle anymore.

3. KO Gauntlet - 53/100 - An ok match, I have a crush on Kylie Rae so loved seeing her in action and winning and I'm not even a fan of womens wrestling.

4. Will Mack vs Chris Bey - 68/100 - This was pretty good, I didn't expect Bey to win at all because it seems like Mack's reign just started. Both these guys can go and Chris Bey has some innovative moves.

5. The North vs Callihan/Shamrock - 65/100 - This was a good tag match. The North are an awesome tag team, Alexander reminds me a lot of Rick Steiner and not just because of the headgear but the wrestling style also. Ethan Page looked better than ever, not as smooth and pudgy as he was a few weeks ago. One of the best tag teams in wrestling today. Shamrock drug the match down a bit but it was still nice seeing him out there.

6. Grace vs Perozzo - 60/100 - Solid womens match. Not much else to comment. I think Perozzo is a good face for this division.

7. 5 Way Elimination for Impact World Title - 73/100 - Good main event, the action was good and some story also being built. My boy Ace Austin almost came out on top but I knew as soon as they talked about how Ace had 2 wins over Eddie already that Eddie was going to win so I was soured a bit till the finish. Seems like a lot of people don't like Eddie but he seems ok from what I've seen, granted I haven't seen a lot of Impact yet so maybe I'll find out later that he sucks or something.

Overall I enjoyed the show, don't know if I'll pay $40 for one of their PPV's again but if they continue on a good path I always show support with the cash and ust got Impact Plus and will get more PPV's to come if it continues to impress. I like them better than AEW and WWE that's for sure. NJPW will probably always be my number 1 though. Glad most of you enjoyed the show.

Questions now are...what happens from here with all the debuts? I'm going to say MCMG capture the straps Tuesday but I want The North to hold them longer, they are that awesome of a tag team.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
eddie makes me fall asleep. would rather have seen ace win.

North keep getting better and better imo

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
impact is unironically better than main roster WWE, i flat out stopped watching raw and sd whereas i can at least sit through an Impact.

not sure about EE winning, i find him boring. but the rest of the results are fine.

·
Premium Member
10,994 Posts
My review, as someone who hasn't watched TNA in almost 10 years besides some youtube segments here and there, I thought this was a pretty good show.

- Lol Josh Mathews voice brings some old RAW nostalgia back.

- Well, what a way to kick things off, and if there are lapsed fans like me, i'm hooked. MCMG!
Alex Shelley is all time favorite wrestler to never win any world title, he's in my top 5-7 ever. He's such a great wrestler, great technician, unique submissions, great striking, that explosive inside out german suplex he did in the match looked awesome, god I love watching him in the ring. Impressive showing by the opponents, the guy in black trunks is such a good athlete and the other guy who they said could have made it in MMA is also alright. Great opener.

- Good build-up promo for Dreamer/Moose. Moose looks like a great dominant heel should. So, if I understood correctly, Moose created his own title? and lol that video package all the guys Moose named were old fucks (RVD, Dreamer, Shamrock..).

- Nice Gold/White attire for Moose. This was a glorified squash that didn't do much for me.
Dreamer got an advantage twice in the match due to Moose missing a move from the top rop...someone Moose's size shouldn't be going to the top rop unless there's a sense of urgency and he's in a competitive match desperate to win.

- KO Gauntlet. So this is Kylie Rae the one who left AEW due to pressure?
She's a good worker, Bayley 2013-2015 vibes with the gimmick.. Anyways, the match didn't do much for me, a bit sloppy and all over the place, but kylie was the standout for me. She had good execution and she's pretty athletic.

- Chris Bey looks like Future (the rapper) with the shades lol. Great look, easily hateable. If someone looked like that I'd make turn his heel act up to 11. I like this guy.
However the match started and Willie Mack took my breath away, what an athlete. I enjoyed this, would have had Bey win by kicking him in the balls first, not scratch his eyes when the ref wasn't looking, but alright.

- Didn't care for the tag match, Shamrock looked like a guy who just knew his spots and could do them and was tyring to remember them. But decent showing by the champs, and awesome looking forward for MCMG/The North. I'd watch anything Shelley's doing.

- Great women's match. Deonna is a great wrestler.

- Eric Young? more like Eric old, ffs he aged 40 years in 15.
Lol, swerve for Swan.
I like Ace Austin, great future.
Incredible babyface performance by Swann. Eddie won me over with his performance as well. Great match, and good debut by The Good Brothers.

Nice tease for EC3!

Great show, I'll be watching Tuesday for MCMG, hopefully, EC3 debuts as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't know what people expected, the biggest free agents who could turn up, did. There will be more new faces in the next few weeks too, EC3 is clearly having a stable of his own.

PPV was great, some good matches, bit of light hearted stuff with Bravo & Swinger ha, lots of angles I didn't see happening. Really surprised wh Eddie getting the strap again - he wouldn't be my choice, but really interested where this goes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Overall great show with the surprises delivering as well as teasing more. Sure EC3 would of been a better than EY but him at end was perfect and EY attacking Swann after his elimination helps establish EY WCM gimmick to current audience. Swann was also a great addition to the main event to go back to original 5 Way plan. Part of me still wishes the match was KOTM.

Mcmg vs Rascalz was great opener and I'm glad they have already announced The North vs Mcmg for next week, great way to build to next show.

Kylie Rae winning was perfect as was Deonna as them 2 would be great and I'd even love a 3 Way with Jordynne added, great match to showcase 3 different styles. Knockout division is on fire and I won't be against them using Kylie win to bring back the knockout tag titles.

Moose vs Dreamer was a dud, unfortunately, as I do enjoy both Moose and Dreamer. Would of preferred Moose vs Sami Callihan and Shamrock having a different partner.

Tease of Eddie w/ Good Brothers looks great, especially with Eddie also having history in japan. Yes, wrong company but Wrestling history is always tweaked to benefit a story lol Here's hoping EC3 gets some followers with at least 2 guys. Ryder, Hawkins & Bennett w/ Maria would be great backup to EC3, shame Spud signed with NXT as him and EC3 where perfect combo.

Oh yh, and Free agent Slater again. Story was great for Smackdown Live and start of his team with Rhyno so I wonder if they follow suit and end of doing Rhyno & Slater to defeat The North for belts so Slater has to be given contract. I guess we'll find out more Tuesday.... (But damn, I so want Mcmg back full time, hopefully more than just this set of tapings.)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I really enjoyed the show. I honestly was looking forward to it over extreme rules which only has 2 matches im interested in

Honestly i wanted to see ec3 in aew because there are still people who think he's a mute smh

But as an ec3 mark im happy

All the matches delivered

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
Didn't watch the show but followed along on social media.

Had there been a crowd for this, or even a fake crowd like WWE and AEW have, maybe I'd be more compelled to order the show. But having a show built on surprises with no crowd was just a little too weird for me.

But, I have heard some good things about the show. Might have to check out at least the Women's Title match and the main event.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Here's my full review for Slammiversary:

1. Motor City Machine Guns def. The Rascalz- 3.5 Stars

Good way to start the show, and a cool return, I always liked MCMG. The Rascalz are a top tag team in IMPACT!, and put on a hell of a match with the veteran tag team Motor City Machine Guns.

2. "TNA World Heavyweight Championship": Moose"(c)" def. Tommy Dreamer- 3 Stars

Like I said on this forum before, I don't like Tommy Dreamer being on this show. We are long passed the Tommy Dreamer being good days, and we've been passed those times since ECW went under in 2001. He did cut a good promo on IMPACT! against Moose, but that's not gonna make me wanna watch his matches, and neither his his blading, and neither is his relationship with Dusty Rhodes. Tommy Dreamer is not entertaining. Anyways, it was a good match, only because Moose carried Tommy. It wasn't that good and I am being a little generous with the rating, but decent match, I like Moose and he won so can't complain too much.

3. #1 Contender's (Impact Knockouts Championship)/Gauntlet: Kylie Rae def. Taya Valkryie, Havok, Madison Rayne, Rosemary, Nevaeh, Katie Forbes, Kiera Hogan, Kimber Lee, Alisha Edwards, Susie, & Tasha Steelz- 1.5 Stars

This match wasn't very good, and didn't do good at all without a crowd. Battle Royal type matches just are weird without a crowd. Kylie Rae won the match and I thought that was awesome and can't wait to see Deonna Purrazzo and Kylie Rae go at it for the KO title. Skippable match, good result, and I cringed when Bravo acted like Taya Valkryie..... moving on.

4. Impact X Division Championship: Chris Bey def. Willie Mack(c)- 3 Stars

I was a little bit disappointed in this X Division match because it was a lot shorter than I anticipated, and they didn't get to have the awesome match that I know these two could have. Hopefully with a show they can get more time on, we can see Chris Bey defend the title in a rematch against Mack. Even with it's shorter length, the match delivered and was good, and I am really happy because I was pulling for Chris Bey. About a month ago I dm'd Bey on Instagram and told him I thought he was the future of IMPACT! and that he will be the World Champion one day, and he responded and thanked me for the compliment and we talked for a minute. Anyways, good match.

5. Impact World Tag Team Championships: The North(c) def. Ken Shamrock & Sami Callihan- 3 Stars

This was a good match, and thank god The North won and retained the titles. I can't wait to see The North defend the belts against Motor City Machine Guns on IMPACT!. Sami Callihan looked really good in this match, and really lifted the quality of the match. I'm glad IMPACT! didn't do some WWE shit and book a one off team to beat a great tag team for the titles. As for Ken Shamrock, I think he's too old, but I do think he is still able to put on a good match in te ring. He's just not a draw like IMPACT! wants him to be.

6. Impact Knockouts Championship: Deonna Purrazzo def. Jordynne Grace(c)- 3.5 Stars

This was one of the best Knockout matches I've seen in a long time. Purrazzo & Grace made that Knockouts title seem worthy and important again with this match, after Tessa Blanchard won the World title the KO belt looked very secondary. This match brought that belt back to the forefront of IMPACT! as they are known for having a great women's division and they showed it here. Love that Purrazzo won the belt, as I thought WWE used her horribly in NXT UK.

7. Impact World Championship/Elimination: Eddie Edwards def. Ace Austin, Rich Swann, Eric Young, & Trey- 4 Stars

This was the best match of the night and easily a top 5 IMPACT! match this year. This was a great world title match and made that belt feel important and prestigious. I gotta admit I kinda flipped my lid when I saw Rich Swann come out as the mystery opponent but I was relieved a bit when I saw Eric Young. EY looked awesome in this match, and really showed he's still got it and that he made the right choice by going back to IMPACT!. It was good to see Rich Swann back in action, and it seems we are going to get a program with Rich Swann & Eric Young which should be a great rivalry and match for Bound For Glory. Near the end of the match it was all about Eddie Edwards & Ace Austin, and I gotta say Ace Austin is just amazing. He's so talented and I think he is going to be the world champion one day. Eddie Edwards got the win and I'm totally okay with that, and him, Gallows, & Anderson is a badass faction. Would love to see Eddie Edwards defend the belt against Ace Austin at BFG, I will buy into that ppv. Would also love to see him defend the title against EC3 at BFG.

Overall I'd give the show a 3.5/5

·
Registered
461 Posts
Really good show. While Mathews and his premature “and new champion” calls DURING the count are extremely annoying, I have really missed Callis. He had so many great lines.
Awesome to see the returning wrestlers and can’t wait to see EC3 Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Tuned into to watch Impact for the first time in ages, was kind of disappointed

Deonna Purrazzo vs Jordynne Grace was good and glad to see Kylie Rae won the number 1 contendership, but everything else was kind of meh.

I haven't watched Impact regularly in years, kind of here and there, but what the hell happened to Eddie Edwards?

I get not wanting to debut EC3 and have him immediately win your world title, but that's what everyone wanted to see. Sorry but Rich Swann and Eric Young didn't do it for me.

121 - 140 of 163 Posts