Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
15,836 Posts
Re: Since WWE is "entertainment" then why do they check for drugs if it's not a sport

Honestly, I wish they would stop looking at recreational drug use outside of the same restrictions they place on alcohol and getting in the ring while under the influence. In all seriousness, the WWE should focus on the fucking LEGAL drugs that are often PRESCRIBED to these wrestlers. Steroids and pot aren't going to do as much damage or end as many lives as the addictions and abuse of legal pain and sleep meds that some wrestlers have been put on. So many news outlets jump on steroids and shit, but they are far less dangerous than almost all legal medications. Seriously, look at the health risks on a simple bottle of aspirin or over the counter sleep meds and they will blow your mind.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: Since WWE is "entertainment" then why do they check for drugs if it's not a sport

The OP made this thread locked in the future!

·
Registered
5,262 Posts

Cause steroids fuck their performers up and can potentially kill them. Pretty sure dead or severely fucked up wrestlers is a bad place to be in when you build your business on them being consistently in good health

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Besides WWE stars are role models in today's world.
Some example Sin Cara is setting.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts

Also since the WWE is a physical activity, if you're drugged out you can seriously injure someone by botching something.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Also aren't you more likely to injure yourself if you bulked up on steroids?
Muscles rip easily and shit.

basically OP you have been made to swallow your words by an angry lynch mob.
Asking the initial question was fair enough to ask why they weren't allowed.
Arguing against the responses ... FACEPALM

·
Banned
1,135 Posts

Because TNA is also in the entertainment business bud and they realize that they are not at fault if a wrestler "chooses" to do stupid stuff. They are under the same umbrella as the rest of the entertainment world. You don't see the entire entertainment world in trouble when someone dies, yes we mourn but we move on.
Your argument doesn't make any sense. How is TNA and the WWE under the same umbrella as the rest of the entertainment world? They are absolutely nothing like Hollywood. These aren't actors, they're athletes putting their life on the line because it's what they do. They have to rely on others at times for their own safety. If they are in the ring with someone who's heavily drugged, that's extremely dangerous. People have become permanently paralyzed from mistakes that happened in the ring, drugs heavily increase the chances of these kind of accidents happening. People have died in the ring, and not from drugs, but from accidents. Again, drugs can and will increase the chances of deaths in the ring occurring.

WWE had to deal with a lawsuit that put them under a lot of negative attention and they want to avoid that as much as possible, and not only that, but the sudden deaths of wrestlers like Brian Pillman and Eddie Guerrero, both of which contributed to drug use, has made it clear that athletes like these who travel constantly can't be using drugs. They do it not only for the safety of the company but for the safety of their athletes. Numerous wrestlers who have previous worked for WWE/WCW have died under age 50, the number is so high that it's actually higher then the under 50 death toll of Hollywood actors and musicians combined. Only a small portion of them have been from drug use, and without the drug policy, that number would be much bigger without a doubt.

Hell look at Chris Benoit. His brain was confirmed to resemble that of a 85 year old Alzheimer patient. The man was only 40 years old. That was from all of the constant bumps he took through out the years as a pro wrestler. He had a screwed up brain. Look what happened. He killed two members of his own family and then he killed himself. Imagine what would've happened if he was heavily drugged? And I'm not talking about steroids. Right now you are literally asking for another event like this to happen.

Of course I doubt this will change your point of view, right now it sounds like your the kind of person that could care less what happens to another human being. If you aren't that person, then please, try taking pro wrestling or "sports entertainment" a little bit more seriously. I don't give a damn if they've taken the entertainment route, they shouldn't need to be a sport to begin with. It's still extremely dangerous, that's the only reason they need in my book to have a drug policy.

·
Not Everybody Likes Us
473 Posts

It's just like any other job out there that has a health risk factor. Drug testing (in theory) assures that people aren't doing there jobs while under the influence, and in turn, putting others in harm's way.
This, again.

they don't test for each individual movie or other project in Hollywood, simply because it's not cost efficient. How many lawsuits have you seen over drug related incidents in hollywood?

The WWE saves money by doing drug testing to prevent major accidents and the ensuing legal costs that would come from it. It's just cheaper for WWE to do the drug testing than not in the long run.

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts

Cause we don't need another Chris Benoit incident.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Cause we don't need another Chris Benoit incident.
See in all fairness, wasn't it more than just the drugs that pushed Benoit over the edge.
Maybe it was just rumours but im sure i read that even doing his diving headbutt for years had actually caused him a small amount of brain damage, and he just couldn't take it anymore.
Incredible wrestler, shame that shit took over his life, its really hard not to call him a bad guy, but you really want to believe that he couldn't control himself.

·
Registered
242 Posts

Idiot. Superstars have died from drug use. We don't want people to die. You aren't very clever.
Who are you calling an idiot? You didn't know that people discussed wrestling on the internet.

·
Banned
1,135 Posts

drug testing is just for show and low tier wrestlers anyway. u think guys like cena/triple h get tested for drugs?
...um yeah! Of course they do. Why wouldn't they?! They're representing the fucking company! What kind of a question is that?

·
Premium Member
18,132 Posts

See in all fairness, wasn't it more than just the drugs that pushed Benoit over the edge.
Maybe it was just rumours but im sure i read that even doing his diving headbutt for years had actually caused him a small amount of brain damage, and he just couldn't take it anymore.
Incredible wrestler, shame that shit took over his life, its really hard not to call him a bad guy, but you really want to believe that he couldn't control himself.
Yeah I heard about that too. All the years of him doing things like Headbutts mixed with the drugs had pretty much wrecked his brain. Like he was in his late 30's but had the brain of an 80 year old Alzheimer patient. Absolutely crazy

drug testing is just for show and low tier wrestlers anyway. u think guys like cena/triple h/taker get tested for drugs?
In 2007 guys Like Orton, Edge & Kennedy all got suspended for failing drug tests. Im sure they all get tested.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Yeah I heard about that too. All the years of him doing things like Headbutts mixed with the drugs had pretty much wrecked his brain. Like he was in his late 30's but had the brain of an 80 year old Alzheimer patient. Absolutely crazy

In 2007 guys Like Orton, Edge & Kennedy all got suspended for failing drug tests. Im sure they all get tested.
I don't really know much surrounding Eddie's death, but i'm suspecting that really was the drugs, because he always looked so much bigger than he should be. The veins on his arms were crazy.

At least Benoit got to do something that we may never see again :

·
Banned
1,135 Posts

Actually not only is that true, but it was confirmed that the brain damage was more of the reason. The drugs actually didn't play that much of a factor in what he did.

·
Banned
1,922 Posts

its wwe themselves doing the testing, there is no 3rd party to supervise anything. if someone's found guilty its upto vince, he can decide to ignore and not do anything if top guys like cena/taker are at fault.

if wwe were really serious about drugs they would have someone else do the testing

·
Registered
1,797 Posts

Actually not only is that true, but it was confirmed that the brain damage was more of the reason. The drugs actually didn't play that much of a factor in what he did.
Yeah so people are kinda jumping the gun a bit when they are going straight to the "we don't want another Benoit" situation.

Yes he took drugs, but this was an extreme case.
No one could really have predicted that happening.

Drugs endanger lives, especially those of performers.
Which is why despite having used to like Jeff Hardy when i was younger, i now see him as an irresponsible douchebag sadly.

Steroids are a questionable drug.
Other drugs in the WWE are definitely a no go.
Steroids should probably be involved in that no go area.
But lets face it, who knows what really goes on, with Vince himself supposedly being crazy on steroids himself.
They don't enchance you to win a competition like in sport, they're just used to bulk people up.
Thus risking more lives and injuries.
There are probably lots of people that get away with taking them.

61 - 80 of 129 Posts