Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's nothing more climatic that a good old fashioned staredown. Every combat sport has it. Boxing, MMA and Pro Wrestling. But it seems as if people are extremely pissed over HHH/Undertaker's staredown. Look at all the great staredowns in the past. Austin/Rock, Rock/Hogan, HBK/Taker. The list goes on. Staredowns are a very important aspect to wrestling and test the true acting ability of a wrestler. Is a wrestler so good that he can convey a message through body language?

So why is it that all of a sudden there's this hate amongst the members of the IWC? Or is it the fact that WWE actually booked a segment to perfection thus causing to have to nitpick something and make a big scene out of it. Afterall that's what being a member of the IWC is all about anyway. So all of a sudden staredowns are stupid and WWE should have blown everything away in one night and have HHH and Taker cut promos on one another.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
This is actually good writing. Why? The average fan is going to be sure to watch WWE programming, waiting to hear what HHH and the Undertaker actually have to say. There was a reason it was a staredown and there were no words spoken. It's a cliffhanger.

·
Banned
4,730 Posts
The segment between Triple H and Undertaker was near perfect. It needed no words. Some people don't seem to be able to grasp that concept. They didn't have to say anything, you KNOW what both of them were saying through their actions. It was very well done and very hard to execute well and I think both men did an excellent job.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Staredowns are fine.

This particular one went on too long. The problem with staredowns, as in real life, the longer you hold them the sillier & funnier they become.

By the end of HHH & 'Takers I was pissing myself.

·
Premium Member
40,798 Posts
Staredowns don't show acting ability. A ten year old kid can do a staredown.

I liked the concept of this HHH/Taker promo, but the execution was pretty weak. I wasn't feeling it. That's where a non verbal promo should appeal, emotion. It failed to evoke any emotion in me.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
For me personally some of the greatest moments that i have seen in wrestling have been staredowns like Hogan/Andre, Hogan/Warrior, Michaels/Hart at WrestleMania 12, Austin/Rock at WrestleMania 15, Rock/Hogan and Cena/Triple H at The Royal Rumble in 2008 which have all made me mark out as if i were a young Matt Striker so i certainly do not hate staredowns nor understand why anyone else would. To me a staredown adds so much more to a match if it is between two big stars, i mean a staredown between Primo and Zack Ryder wouldn't appeal to me but if it were say Cena/Rock then that's a different matter.

Looking back at some of those staredowns i have mentione above i would say that some of the staredowns are more memorable than the actual matches were and it was more of an atmosphere and how the crowd responded to the staredown that were the biggest things to have happened in those matches. If i had to sit and watch Hogan/Andre from WrestleMania 3 i would probably watch the staredown and then fast forward to Hulk Hogan slamming Andre and i would probably do the same thing with the Rock/Hogan match from WrestleMania 18 as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't mind staredowns but what I do hate is predictability!!! SO FUCKING PREDICTABLE!!! Just like the Elimination Chamber PPV! Once again, we get Super Cena at Wrestlemania.

In the words of Stone Cold Steve Austin, BO-RING!!!

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
The segment between Triple H and Undertaker was near perfect. It needed no words. Some people don't seem to be able to grasp that concept. They didn't have to say anything, you KNOW what both of them were saying through their actions. It was very well done and very hard to execute well and I think both men did an excellent job.
This. It was perfect.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
No, it isn't the stare down it's that this feud came from out of nowhere. There was no real build at all, and the only build that there was happened to be Taker's return, and the false hopes of Sting challenging him at Wrestlemania 27. As usual the WWE doesn't deliver.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
No, it isn't the stare down it's that this feud came from out of nowhere. There was no real build at all, and the only build that there was happened to be Taker's return, and the false hopes of Sting challenging him at Wrestlemania 27. As usual the WWE doesn't deliver.
What the fuck! Its your fault for believing Sting was actally going to make an appearance. WWE actually delivered and as others have said in this topic, it was near perfect. We are talking about the Game and the Deadman here. Two future Hall of Famers. If Undertaker went back to Kane and Triple H went back to Shaemus, you and all the other dissatisfied IWC fans would complain again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'll be completely honest.

I didn't mind the staredown at all. In fact, I thought it was very well done (because as mentioned, major cliffhanger), I was just really disappointed it wasn't Sting.

·
I recycle.
1,281 Posts
I think the full lighting kills it, should have just spotlights or the crowd dimmed, something. My g/f always makes a smooch sound in staredowns, especially the ones where they do nothing to each other, why didn't they start brawling or push each other after an insult?

·
Registered
10,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Could we please stop with the whole Sting bullshit> I could understand if WWE promoted 2-21-11 with a bunch of Sting clips from WCW and you know actually show Sting in the video package. But the second week WWE made it completely aware that it was going to be the return of The Undertaker.

So if you're argument is "It wasn't Sting" then....then... Ah forget it words can't describe such stupidity.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They had to have a long staredown following two long entrances to let everybody get a chance to see two of the top guys in the business over the last 20 years and get it through to everyone they were back.

Having said that, they should have ended this one when Undertaker gave HHH that little smirk and started to walk away. It would have been a perfect "F-U" (as opposed to an AA?) to HHH.

wk

·
Registered
587 Posts
I liked it.

Sets up the idea of a feud, without giving any detail away. It was clever.

My problem with Takers return is that Nexus buried him alive, and he comes back and ignored them?
Hes always gone after they damage dealer before, and I think Barrett would be a good match for WM, probably better than an overweight HHH.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I liked it.

Sets up the idea of a feud, without giving any detail away. It was clever.

My problem with Takers return is that Nexus buried him alive, and he comes back and ignored them?
Hes always gone after they damage dealer before, and I think Barrett would be a good match for WM, probably better than an overweight HHH.
I'm sure both HHH/Seamus and Taker/Barrett will get a little recognition in the next few weeks - leading to possible feuds after WM.

Storyline-wise, Taker may have come onto RAW to talk about Nexus, but HHH, still angry about HBK's retirement, prevented him from doing so. Taker felt disrespected by HHH and was unhappy.

Seems logical enough to me.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts