Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy does what no one else in the industry has the balls to do, that is daringly invest all his money and start wrestling promotions even though he knows WWE has an extreme stronghold of the market. The man got balls as a businessman and wrestling promoter to go against Vince like that not, once but twice, one has to admit this fact even if you dislike Jarrett. But at the same time, there's also the fact it almost always seems like all his ventures are nothing but scam designed to fool naive investors and swindle money from them. It really gets confusing when you get down to it. It becomes really hard to judge Jarrett's real intentions.

In your opinion, how do you see him. I'm curious.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Amazing thread OP.

I think he's a scam artist. It's not like he invested all of his money in these promotions, he always had a heavy; the Carters or ANTHEM or someone else. So far, every single person who invested in TNA/Impact/GFW never earned their investment back.

·
Team Narcisse
7,940 Posts
When Russo considers you to be the slickest mouth in the business......well.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
I give him respect for trying and wanting to take risks and start something and push hard to make it big.

I haven't decided if he has a good vision or not as he hasn't really had a chance. He always has investors in control and well so far the roster he brought into the company is so dam boring.

The biggest thing that o don't like about him is he doesn't just fucking put in the work by building fans. Always trying to be bigger than he is.

Always the mistake with tna after 2005.

Progress is an example of building up by earning one fan at a time.
Because it also has a legit feel to it and identity and look. They keep it simple but it also doesn't feel kid ish. More like a proper brand like boxing of wrestling. Silly example I know

I just hope something good comes out of IW. I think this is it's last try and it won't start until bfg

But since they won't have new belts or may not she start.

With out proper belts that is your identity of your company u have zero credibility to build on.

People look at belts as something you build prestige around and right now they are at zero.

Look at the new Japan world title, it means something and a lot more than the wwe belt

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
He's passionate but at the same time, he will scam people. He tries to make things out to be better than they are.

·
Registered
900 Posts
In my mind theres two JJ's. The JJ before Dixie and Hogan fucked him over and the JJ after.

Before he was, from what I hear, a great guy to work for. Open to ideas always found a way to bring big names in etc he was just bad with money and couldn't predict back stage politics.Remember he's the guy that got the Spike TV deal by bringing in sting etc and viewed TNA as his family.

Once Hogan was brought in he was out manovered and forced out in an embarrassing manner.

The JJ we have now is a snake oil sales man, bitter at how he's been treated and is driven by wanting to say fuck you to all that doubted him. He runs rough shot over people, and has likely made a fortune by scamming anthem. His returning wasn't about redemption it was about revenge and looking out fir number one.

I wish the guy well with his struggles but he is likely done in wrestling and deservedly so. He almost destroyed IW, divided it's already small fan base and all to please his own ego.

Someone will eventually bring up the Angle situation.. to me he had nothing to apologise for. His wife died, Karen was already seperated from Kurt (who was apparently a little crazy back then) and they found each other. Kurt had dixies ear and so she made an example out of him

·
Registered
264 Posts
Amazing thread OP.

I think he's a scam artist. It's not like he invested all of his money in these promotions, he always had a heavy; the Carters or ANTHEM or someone else. So far, every single person who invested in TNA/Impact/GFW never earned their investment back.
Name one promotion since WWE that has seen their investment paid back? Name one promotion that has actually turned a profit since WWE? WCW lost tens of millions and was cancelled. ECW went bankrupt. TNA had like 2 profitable years in their first 15 years of existence. Lucha Underground has done nothing but lose money and is unlikely to return. And ROH was bought by a syndicated TV company and is run on a shoe-string budget.

To say that TNA/Impact/GFW are failed ventures because investors didn't triple their money is an ignorant statement because NO ONE in wrestling is earning their investment back. It's the nature of the business. Large scale wrestling is not a good financial investment. You launch these companies because you love wrestling not because it's a smart stock to bet on and it's not fair to judge Jeff Jarrett based on investment profits, because on that scale he's no different than the other 99.9% people who do what he does.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
My original post turned into a VERY long rant ripping Jarrett....

So instead of boring everyone I'll just say "A little bit of both, leaning more towards scam artist"

I also wouldn't say "game changing" in anyway as he didn't really change the game. WWE is where they are, or aren't, due to their own past successes and current failings. Aside from giving a solid handful of talent a larger stage to display their craft. The legacy of TNA is mostly how badly and how often they... to put it as nicely as possible... fucked shit up... funnily enough the amount of times Jarrett put himself over is part of that legacy.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Name one promotion since WWE that has seen their investment paid back? Name one promotion that has actually turned a profit since WWE? WCW lost tens of millions and was cancelled. ECW went bankrupt. TNA had like 2 profitable years in their first 15 years of existence. Lucha Underground has done nothing but lose money and is unlikely to return. And ROH was bought by a syndicated TV company and is run on a shoe-string budget.

To say that TNA/Impact/GFW are failed ventures because investors didn't triple their money is an ignorant statement because NO ONE in wrestling is earning their investment back. It's the nature of the business. Large scale wrestling is not a good financial investment. You launch these companies because you love wrestling not because it's a smart stock to bet on and it's not fair to judge Jeff Jarrett based on investment profits, because on that scale he's no different than the other 99.9% people who do what he does.
WCW was a profitable promotion before Bischoff lost his mind.
As was AWA, and others before Vince went national.

If you are talking about currently, then NJPW is a profitable promotion. They dont got WWE money, but they do fine. Much better than what Jarrett did with his promotions thats for sure.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
When Jeff was in full control of TNA, the company was ran into the ground and almost went out of business in less than 6 months.

As much hate as Dixie gets, she was the ONLY reason why TNA even lasted a year, and with her a President handling the corporate aspects and Jeff handling the operations of the show itself, TNA saw it's best years.

It only went downhill when Dixie started trying to book the shows when she didn't know what she was doing.

There are actually several very profitable companies besides WWE.

New and All Japan both make pretty good profits.

World Wrestling Council makes decent money, being the only major promotion in PR.

CMLL and AAA both make good money, but that is mostly because of the hardcore fanbase on Mexico. AAA doesn't make much money outside of Mexico, as is apparently with the failure of LU.

·
Registered
11,630 Posts
Jeff Jarrett is a good promoter but he try to become big too fast ala tna and gfw. His next wrestling promotion should be local,maybe a YouTube show. We need more Strong local promoters. Look at ovw or Booker t reality of wrestling or Cwfh

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
You know as far as wrestling he has a vision and I respect that, as far as business he tries to be too big too fast. Due to Global Force Gold I would definitely go for scam artist

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
To be honest, If I started a wrestling promotion, I wouldn't even bother with a tv deal. TV isn't the game changer it once was. I would just make a deal with google or Netflix. Weekly live streams on youtube, a la WCPR could be just as good as a weekly tv show on most networks, especially if youtube advertises it.

Reactions: The Raw Smackdown

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
A broken man. A scam artist that suckers people into throwing money on the fire to fuel his ego. He has nothing besides Wrestling, and he can't let go.

I'm kidding. Swerved, bro! Double J is the man. I give Jeff all the credit in the world for what he has done. Spend my days working hard on the go...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts