Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since his return to WWF in mid-1996, Sid has been very popular with the public.
What's more, the garden crowd was in his favor when he won the title at Survivor Series. But knowing that the plan for Wrestlemania was Hart vs Michaels again, why did they give Sid the title for only two months?

·
Hardcore Casual
749 Posts
I don't know this for a fact, but my suspicion is that it had to do with the backstage drama between HBK/Bret. Most of 95 through late 97 was about trying to push both of them while neither was willing to drop the strap to each other/do a job. So Sid and Taker served mainly as transitional champs, even if the events didn't pan out as originally planned.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, but what I don't understand is why he gave him the title in Survivor Series if in Royal Rumble HBK recovers it

·
Currently booking tonight’s card...
2,034 Posts
Of course, but what I don't understand is why he gave him the title in Survivor Series if in Royal Rumble HBK recovers it
Possibly to avoid having the title on the same guy for 12 months...

I mean on paper it makes sense to give Sid the belt because some of the audience was begging for something different and at that time sid was a draw with fans(although it fizzled out quickly)... and then on the flip side... a few months later in Shawn’s hometown the ‘pop’ would be larger because “the hometown guy won the gold back!!!”

Just a way they were probably looking at things...

It’s never be discussed heavily to my knowledge, but this is the way I’ve looked at 96 going into 97...

·
Premium Member
14,796 Posts
Since his return to WWF in mid-1996, Sid has been very popular with the public.
What's more, the garden crowd was in his favor when he won the title at Survivor Series. But knowing that the plan for Wrestlemania was Hart vs Michaels again, why did they give Sid the title for only two months?
He was Vader's replacement.

The plan was for Shawn to drop the title (to Vader) at Survivor Series and regain it at the Rumble (his hometown). Apparently, Shawn didn't like working with Vader, so Sid took his place.

He was pretty much at the right place at the right time, as it was never meant for the guy that beat Shawn at Survivor Series to actually have a run with the title.

Kind of off topic but one thing I've noticed about Sid, going back to his first WCW run, was how popular he was as a heel. And I can't even say it was the "smark" crowd because even at the WCW tapings in the south (when he was a Horsemen), the fans would go crazy when he came to the ring; in a manner in which they did for no one else, except for maybe Sting. So, it's a bit weird how he never got an actual run with a title.

·
Registered
526 Posts
He was Vader's replacement.

The plan was for Shawn to drop the title (to Vader) at Survivor Series and regain it at the Rumble (his hometown). Apparently, Shawn didn't like working with Vader, so Sid took his place.

He was pretty much at the right place at the right time, as it was never meant for the guy that beat Shawn at Survivor Series to actually have a run with the title.

Kind of off topic but one thing I've noticed about Sid, going back to his first WCW run, was how popular he was as a heel. And I can't even say it was the "smark" crowd because even at the WCW tapings in the south (when he was a Horsemen), the fans would go crazy when he came to the ring; in a manner in which they did for no one else, except for maybe Sting. So, it's a bit weird how he never got an actual run with a title.
Sid oozed charisma and badass-ness. But he wasnt very passionate about the business and not a very good worker. I'm certain I once read he skipped some booked shows to play softball.

I simply don't think he was reliable enough as a long term champ, and it might rub the lockerroom the wrong way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts