Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I live in a pineapple....under the sea.
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
NOT THREAD WORTHY (i know)

This is a shoutout to anyone from south london....for a while now ive been interested in starting my own wrestling promotion...i would ask my friends for help except, im the only guy i know that even watches wrestling...

basically if there is anyone around that would like to start a promotion together please post your interest here, thanks in advance!!!...

...alternativly, if u have any advice it would be much appreciated (nothing like, "dont do it, its a waste of time, theres not point coz its gna flop anyway...blah blah blah")but any legit advice, thanks!!...

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
I've got experience and advice for days but, frankly, I'm not sure you want the benefit of it. I could teach you everything I know but you'd need time, money and dedication on a level that most can't be bothered with.

Promoting is something that, to do it right, will consume your time almost 24/7/365. I'm not even kidding. You have to second every spare moment you have promoting the show with posters or whatever. When you're not doing that, you need to be booking talent, cards, venues, all that shit. Then there's the paperwork. People forget about the paperwork: insurance, contracts, yadda yadda yadda...

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you might get a kick out of this but, i am only 16 years old and in full time education.and my parents dont even want to hear the word "wrestling" come out of my mouth, and despite all this all i ever think about is wrestling...i eat and sleep wrestling (which i no isnt possible....but its a saying), whenever i am upset i turn to wresrling....i get goosbumps whenever i watch an awesome match or promo....what im trying to say is that im jus looking for a "stepping stone" that will help launch my career as a (hopefully) world champion wrestler.....

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
Starting a promotion is very much the wrong way to go about that. You need to know how the business works before you even consider promoting. You want to be looking here:

http://www.dropkixx.com/

They're arguably the best training school in the country and just outside London. They'll make you a fucking fantastic wrestler and you'll learn everything you could ever need to know about the stuff you need to promote along the way. Former students include Brutus Magnus of TNA, Katie Lea, Paul Burchill and Hade Vansen of WWE fame and top UK stars such as Ashe, Marty Scurll, Martin Stone and Darren Burridge.

Worth noting that Hade & Burchill (and Kat, to a lesser extent) only did a little of their training there before joining the FWA but they still learnt plenty at Dropkixx. And I'll vouch for the quality of their trainees, they're always a joy to watch and work with.

Running a promotion at 16 would be a horrible error, mate. Don't make it. No matter how much money you have or how great your ideas and contacts, nobody is going to take you seriously without generations of wrestling background. Sad, unfair and a little harsh, but it's just the way the business works in the UK.

One of Ricky Knight's kids could do it and nobody would be too bothered, but they're a dynasty. You'll only end up getting disillusioned if you try it.

·
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm.....maybe i should just stick to the actual wrestling, rather than promoting........or will i??

Dun dun duuunn!!!!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
@LoneShark - This looks like a really interesting company. Have you worked with them? Do they mind if you want to learn wrestling "as a hobby" (for want of a better term)?

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
@LoneShark - This looks like a really interesting company. Have you worked with them? Do they mind if you want to learn wrestling "as a hobby" (for want of a better term)?
I trained with them for a little while, never worked a show - they didn't do them regularly until very recently, they just focussed on training - and they're pretty good.

They don't mind the weekend warrior thing as long as you show a little dedication and pay your bills on time. To be honest, if you're looking to treat wrestling training like you might go to the gym - every few weeks when there's nothing on telly - you aren't going to get a lot from it. If you can spare the time to go down every Sunday and you work hard, you'll learn a great skill, make some good friends, get a few matches under your belt and, most importantly, be in the best shape of your life.

I often recommend wrestling training to friends who want to get into shape because the results are usually quicker than gym bunnying. I still hit wrestling drill over weights when I want to kill a few pounds.

You'd be surprised at the reaction that suggestion gets. I also recommend trying cheerleading and ballet for fitness. People don't appreciate the physical conditioning those guys have.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I trained with them for a little while, never worked a show - they didn't do them regularly until very recently, they just focussed on training - and they're pretty good.

They don't mind the weekend warrior thing as long as you show a little dedication and pay your bills on time. To be honest, if you're looking to treat wrestling training like you might go to the gym - every few weeks when there's nothing on telly - you aren't going to get a lot from it. If you can spare the time to go down every Sunday and you work hard, you'll learn a great skill, make some good friends, get a few matches under your belt and, most importantly, be in the best shape of your life.

I often recommend wrestling training to friends who want to get into shape because the results are usually quicker than gym bunnying. I still hit wrestling drill over weights when I want to kill a few pounds.

You'd be surprised at the reaction that suggestion gets. I also recommend trying cheerleading and ballet for fitness. People don't appreciate the physical conditioning those guys have.
Sensible. I think I would need to decide whether I'd be prepared to dedicate myself to something like that. I'm quite intrigued by what you say about weight loss and wrestling, though the ballet thing I know from friends. Those dudes are tough.

Maybe I'd have to give it a shot one or two weekends and then decide whether I liked it enough to do it properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts