Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With WWE using smaller guys, I believe that creating different weight classes would really help the company. How many times has it looked horrible when Rey has pinned Kane or Khali? How horrible would John Cena be if he loses to Danielson (sincerely, Danielson is a stick compared to Cena's muscle mass)? Reality-wise, unless you're a badass motherfucker, a normal guy like many small wrestlers look like would never be able to beat them, and certainly not in the way they sometimes win (ina dominant way).

That's why I believe WWE should use weight classes. Of course, the Heavyweight division would be a complete cluster-fuck, but that would really make WWE sign some talented dudes instead of simple tall and strong fellas. Of course weight classes should be respected and smaller guys would only fight small guys like them, except maybe in some big occasions like a WM main event.

So, opinions?

·
Banned
10,007 Posts
It would be a great idea for a company to use weight-classes, but I don't see it ever happening in WWE. In ROH or TNA it could because they're more flexible and wiling to change because they're not #1, but for WWE it would be a big risk and could potentially turn a lot of fans off. Weight-classes/rankings are more 'Sport' as apposed to WWEntertainment. It could definately work for a company, but not WWE.

Ideally WWE brings back the Cruiserweights. Bryan, Kaval and Bourne would make for an immense division and WWE are retarded for misusing it all and shitting over it by giving Hornswoggle the title.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nope, because it'll destroy WWE's long held marketing gimmick that any WWE superstar can beat another WWE superstar. Yeah its' BS but it's part of the whole suspension of disbelief. Also weight classes will only work if different weight classes can be sold as being the main event. Given Vince's bigger is better that will hamstring alot of wrestlers and impose a bigger glass ceiling than ever. It could only work if the WWE booked the different weight classes like the UFC and rotate them through the main event slot.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Its a great idea, but too many morons like to see Rey Mysterio do his classic underdog crap with all his matchups.

You could have 3 devisions, 230 pounds and under, then the 230 - 280 pound group, then anyone over 300 pounds...though I suspect the latter would suck as there are only one or two legit big guys over 280 pounds that can wrestle well.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
A weight class system would be really good but I can't really see it happening.

·
Banned
7,852 Posts
Well with the roster so thin these days, I don't think it would work to be honest, plus as people say Rey wouldn't be able to do his superhero underdog shite. So it's best left as it is... Get more style of matches this way.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ufc 1

who says smaller guys can't beat big guys legit?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ufc 1

who says smaller guys can't beat big guys legit?
Do I really need to quote myself?

"Reality-wise, unless you're a badass motherfucker, a normal guy like many small wrestlers look like would never be able to beat them, and certainly not in the way they sometimes win (ina dominant way)."

I don't consider anybody who's small on the WWE roster except Kaval bad-ass motherfuckers. Care to tell me anybody who's a bad-ass motherfucker?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Do I really need to quote myself?

"Reality-wise, unless you're a badass motherfucker, a normal guy like many small wrestlers look like would never be able to beat them, and certainly not in the way they sometimes win (ina dominant way)."

I don't consider anybody who's small on the WWE roster except Kaval bad-ass motherfuckers. Care to tell me anybody who's a bad-ass motherfucker?

what's so bad-ass about gracie? other than the fact he beat all those guys who were bigegr than he is...

sure they dont look like they could beat them from a physical stand point but fighting (which is what wrestling simulates) is very technical and when these smaller guys show superior technical ability and use mind blowing offence the size disparity seems like less of a problem

my only problem with size differences is when small guys win despite the big man gettign in the majority of the offence

Rey Mysterios a bad-ass he does thinks that blow my mind which make up for his lack of size (although i disliek his current superman thing) evan bourne can throw some pretty real lookign strikes, danielsons technical abilities mroe than make up for his lack of size

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
I really don't see the point of weight classes in a scripted "sport" everyone knows it's fake so i don't really care if it is believable or not. Would you rather have a clumbsy 7 footer that doesn't even know the rules in an "over the top rope challenge" in the main event because he looks believable or have guys like Kaval and Bryan putting on great matches at the top of the card?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hasnt a simlair thing been done before, havnt we have curiser weight and light heavyweight titles and they didnt really work or take off.

But put it this way if we had weight classes in the wwe we wouldnt have seen the best of shawn micheals

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Kaval's not 'bad-ass' - he's a scowly midget, FFS. The average man on the street could put his grumpy ass on the ground.
I LOL'd. You can't really, sincerely believe that.

Weight classes would be a problem in WWE because they would further segregate the roster. It's bad enough that they're separated onto two brands plus NXT; weight classes would only exacerbate the problem even if the brand extension ended, because it would further segregate the little guys from the big boys. A ranking system is where it's at; I respect TNA's attempt to make such a system work.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
I LOL'd. You can't really, sincerely believe that.
Why? If it looks like a pussy, walks like a pussy and talks like a pussy then it's my experience that you're very rarely dealing with a Rottweiler.

And he does walk, talk and look like a pussy. He even has the single worst catchphrase in the history of the business to emphasise it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Another thing with weight classes is unless the roster has alot of depth then we'll probably be seeing alot of the same guys fighting all the time.

·
Student of the game? I am the f***in' Game!!
8,351 Posts
I actually do enjoy a smaller guy taking down a larger adversary. Its just how WWE does it that makes it incredibly cliche. They ALWAYS put it over as luck rather than skill.

You got Rey who is a notorious giant killer but from the way WWE portrays him, it makes him look undeserving. He has been wrestling for more than 2 decades. I think the guy knows what he is doing.

So to answer the question, no, I wouldn't like to see weight classes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts