Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I recycle.
1,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random thought, it seems TNA is really pushing a worked shoot style though their audience is older/smarter/mature (in theory). Do you think it would work better in WWE since the kids fall for stuff like that especially if it's Cena etc. How would TNA's audience respond to a WWE style kayfabe story?

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Its usually awful whenever anyone tries to do it. Like WCW and the Goldberg Russo 'shoots'

·
Registered
193 Posts
you know what i relized when it comes to the IWC? our opinions are based on our own and not whats good for business.

in this time and age this could work when it comes to WWE. there main targets are younger kids. i can kind of compare wrestling to santa clause. they children love to believe it and the parents wont tell them the truth. (for those who didn't know the truth about santa disregard this). i feel like WWE can recycle anything and the casual fans will love it

·
Banned
386 Posts
you know what i relized when it comes to the IWC? our opinions are based on our own and not whats good for business.

in this time and age this could work when it comes to WWE. there main targets are younger kids. i can kind of compare wrestling to santa clause. they children love to believe it and the parents wont tell them the truth. (for those who didn't know the truth about santa disregard this). i feel like WWE can recycle anything and the casual fans will love it
So are proposing a worked shoot angle to appeal to casual fans or kids? Okie Dokie

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
The whole worked shoot thing is fucking stupid. Let's say I'm watching Dexter this Sunday (a favorite show of mine) and randomly some dude started "shooting" and calling Dexter by his real name Michael (C. Hall) and shit? Would that make the show that I already know is fake any better? No. I watch wrestling for the same reason I watch any other TV show or movie because it's a form of entertainment. The Godfather was fake, but does that mean it was a bad movie? No.

The problem is that the storylines they have now aren't quite up to the level they used to be and the talent just isn't up to the level of say a Michael C. Hall or an Al Pacino are to acting. In the late 80's/early 90's on the other hand the product was just as fake and unbelievable, but the talent was pretty much the creme of the crop like a Michael C. Hall or a Al Pacino and it showed through. Also although I am comparing wrestling to acting it is very much a different form of entertainment and thus unlike acting it shouldn't be overly scripted.

It's been said before by many wrestlers of past and present that when the charcter you are playing on television is an extension of yourself it comes off as more believable, but a worked shoot isn't going to solve anything that's wrong with the WWE.

Basically everything portrayed on WWE TV should already be looked upon AS a shoot in the first place, just like any other TV show. It has to make you forget that what you are watching isn't real. It has to cause you to care about these characters that you know aren't actually real people.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
A lot of internet fans seem to hate "worked shoots" because they are associated with Vince Russo, and yet some angles considered great are worked shoots.

Mayweather punching Big Show and breaking his nose- worked shoot that half this supposed "smart forum" thought was a shoot and Big Show would've killed him if Shane didn't calm him down (at the time), this angle drew a ton of press and fan discussion when it happened.

Brian Pillman loose cannon angle

Those 2 were played off as "not supposed to happen", if you mean worked shoot as in bring personal life into things like Heyman's famous promo on Vince then the argument becomes stronger.

The reason "worked shoots" were sometimes terrible in WCW was because of commentary like "he's going off script" which kills those moments.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
I don't think most of WWE's fanbase would prefer to see that than what they're currently getting and suddenly shifting to such a style would likely be catastophic for their business.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Well Nexus is kinda like a shoot. Or that Vinnie Mac segment on the last RAW. I mean if you dont keep control of the a,ount of shooting going on in your show, you basically end up with Bash at the Fucking Beach 2000.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
'This isn't part of the show, folks'

Oh so everything else is fake and this is the one bit of the 3 hour PPV I'm supposed to care about? Fuck that.

In jokes are one thing, but even the 'smart' fans at ROH and PWG shows lap up the 'fake' stuff. If you want shoots, why not just watch UFC and do it properly? I watch wrestling because I ultimately want to see the good guy triumph over the villain against the odds. You ruin that formula, you ruin wrestling.

No wonder old-school Cornette is so angry.

·
Premium Member
43,690 Posts
I think reality should be incorporated into the show to tell good stories. For example, I think the Rey Mysterio/CM Punk feud would have been far more effective if they had referenced that Mysterio had a wellness violation the year before. It would have made the whole situation make sense. Why would Punk want somebody who is clean to join his faction in the first place? And I think using that would have made Rey seem more human and would have allowed the WWE to present a story about making mistakes & learning from them.

Instead, the whole thing was centered on Punk ruining a little girl's birthday party, which I'm sorry. That was fucking hilarious, made even more so by the fact that they tried to pass it off as the most heinous act that has ever been committed.

So yeah, I think using reality to tell good stories isn't a bad idea, but like everything else, it all lies in the execution & whether or not its done correctly. An example of bad execution would be using Eddie Guerrero's death as a motivation for Rey Mysterio to win the World Title...that was just tasteless & horribly done.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,349 Posts
I don't see the point in doing one. It's not like anyone is going to be convinced that this one storyline is real. The Big Show Mayweather thing got so much press because of how hard the Big Show was hit. It had nothing to do with the fact that Mayweather hit him, everyone knew that was part of the script. There was just some controversy over how hard he was supposed to have hit him.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
worked shoots are so stupid, look at it from wwe's perspective

have regular storylines that appeal to practically anyone, but especially youth, or
try to appeal to the 10 % of the audience that discusses wrestling on forums by trying to fool them into thinking something is actually real.

all worked shoots do is try to appeal to people who think they understand wrestling and don't simply watch it as a casual fan, but as someone that thinks they are in on it or something. totally stupid.

·
Banned
386 Posts
worked shoots are so stupid, look at it from wwe's perspective

have regular storylines that appeal to practically anyone, but especially youth, or
try to appeal to the 10 % of the audience that discusses wrestling on forums by trying to fool them into thinking something is actually real.

all worked shoots do is try to appeal to people who think they understand wrestling and don't simply watch it as a casual fan, but as someone that thinks they are in on it or something. totally stupid.
Especially when the group of people you are trying to work will quickly figure it out anyway or failing that Meltzer will report that it is a work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts