Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night was a clear distillation of demonstrating where two guys are in the company at this moment in time. Miz won his first WWE world championship; Ted DiBiase lost in about two minutes to US Champion Daniel Bryan. Now, perhaps the time of the DiBiase/Bryan match was impacted by the length of Cena's promo and cut short. But nevertheless, it told a fairly stark story: Miz has just reached the top and DiBiase is currently fodder for their hot US Champion Bryan.

DiBiase just turned 28 years old a few days back. He still has lots and lots of time to find himself in WWE.

However, I am wondering if people here think the best approach to take with DiBiase at this stage is a recall to the moment Miz's true push to the top began: the "rebirth" he experienced following the squash to John Cena at the 2009 The Bash. At the time attending that show, I wondered what was afoot, as it seemed like WWE remained high on Miz but the decision to have Cena squash him seemed questionable. Of course, the very next night Miz fought Cena in a much better, more even contest on Raw that demonstrated that they still thought rather highly of him.

DiBiase's Fortunate Son/Million Dollar Boy, whatever you want to call it, character... Just isn't working. He still doesn't have any chemistry with Maryse, even if they look all right together. He just had what I would say is his best singles match to date going up against Daniel Bryan at Survivor Series. However, he suffered the opposite effect of Miz against Cena: an evenly-fought match at the pay-per-view followed by practically a total squash the next night. WWE seems to be subtly zeroing in Maryse's upset face every time DiBiase loses again.

Now, it doesn't need to happen immediately, or even anytime too soon, but does anyone else think that perhaps the best thing to do for DiBiase would be to wipe the slate almost completely clean, systematically kill off every piece of this character/gimmick (which they've already begun by his not wanting to possess the Million Dollar Championship belt) ala Miz's old "Chick Magnet" character, and start almost all over again from scratch? Even if DiBiase were to improve dramatically in this role, there's a question as to how far he could go with it in any event. Now is probably not the right time with WWE pushing Morrison consistently on Raw and still having R-Truth in their sleeve as upper midcard faces, but a face turn could be what DiBiase needs. But even if it's not, even if he remains a heel, would he not be better off ditching all of these attributes that are actually diminishing him rather than creating a more impressive image?

He could be jobbed out for a while longer, have the relationship with Maryse hit a boiling point, and just begin anew with him from the bottom and make him scratch and claw his way all the way. He just doesn't seem comfortable where he's at, and the early assumption that WWE creative made that he could effectively take over Miz's spot as a heat-drawing heel in the midcard has proven inaccurate. Nexus storylines also clutter up a lot of the Raw midcard as well. And now we even have WWE trying to get the Tyson Kidd ball rolling...?

Or, just have Ted, Jr. sing Sinatra songs horribly. It worked once. Now that Jillian's gone, he can just take her gimmick.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
Yes yes yes yes I have thinking the exact same. First thing's first though if they're going to recreate DiBiase in this 'aggressive, I have stubble' mold, GET RID OF THAT AUTO-TUNED PIECE OF SHIT OF A THEME! It completely kills this new vibe he's got going on. It's just so ridiculous. It reminds me of Orton coming out looking like he's ready to rip someone's head off to 'HEY! NOTHING YOU CAN SAY!' It just makes me want to punch a hole in my monitor.

·
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes yes yes yes I have thinking the exact same. First thing's first though if they're going to recreate DiBiase in this 'aggressive, I have stubble' mold, GET RID OF THAT AUTO-TUNED PIECE OF SHIT OF A THEME! It completely kills this new vibe he's got going on. It's just so ridiculous. It reminds me of Orton coming out looking like he's ready to rip someone's head off to 'HEY! NOTHING YOU CAN SAY!' It just makes me want to punch a hole in my monitor.
I like the stubble. It's having a slightly similar effect as Morrison's beard earlier this year. Makes you think the guy is becoming a 'badass' or something. I know Legacy isn't well-loved or anything but I honestly preferred DiBiase's character inside that group to what he has right now. When he was in Legacy, he was a nasty heel but he had a Sonny Corleone-like temper that could threaten the group's cohesion at any point (the one night fans were fully behind him against Orton could have been the door to many great things for him). He needs to ditch the affectations, the surface-level items that are only hurting him, and get back to that. Fuck, make him the latter day generic 2002 John Cena walking around talking about Ruthless Aggression or whatever, I'd at least believe the guy believes what he's saying and doing.

·
Inappropriately tinkly music.
7,024 Posts
He definitely needs something - he's gone from not wanting to live in his dad's shadow to fighting over his dad's belt to not wanting the belt to being fed to Bryan because Punk wasn't around to have a real US title feud. I don't care how outlandish the gimmick he ends up with is, because I'd never in a million years have thought Cody would pull off "Dashing" as well as he has. It can't be much worse than floundering around with a theme song from an Autotune For Dummies CD.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I think it could be good for him. I think a gimmick that would give him a new personality (not just a bootleg version of his father's) could help him a lot.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I might be the only one here but i actually like his theme...lol, i even made a piano cover of it.

Back on topic, yeah DiBiase needs to get repackaged imo, he's clearly lost with his current character, heck, even the creatives don't even care to expand it anymore since his feud with Goldust ended, if it leads to the demise of his gimmick then maybe it'll be for the better. And i won't mind if they slowly build him up as a babyface, he seems more suitable at playing babyface role.

·
Registered
6,282 Posts
I think Ted is a guy with potential but yeah his current character sucks and he hardly ever has a storyline. A new theme song is a must. Perhaps get the guy who made Kerwin White's theme to make one for Ted.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes. He really needs it. I think he's dangerously close to the point of no return as far as his WWE career goes. They have been persistent with him, you can tell that they want him to get over, but they have left him stuck with a shitty gimmick, a terrible theme song, a valet he has zero chemistry with and bad scripted promos. He has the talent in the ring to go places, but he needs his own character, not his father's. Getting rid of the million dollar title was a good first step to take, now they just need to figure out where to go next.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Yes. He really needs it. I think he's dangerously close to the point of no return as far as his WWE career goes. They have been persistent with him, you can tell that they want him to get over, but they have left him stuck with a shitty gimmick, a terrible theme song, a valet he has zero chemistry with and bad scripted promos. He has the talent in the ring to go places, but he needs his own character, not his father's. Getting rid of the million dollar title was a good first step to take, now they just need to figure out where to go next.
He's not using his dad's character, it's nothing alike actually, his dad enjoys humiliating people using his money power, Ted Jr is a typical spoiled rich kid, but yeah it seems he slowly ditches that gimmick now, he doesn't even pay anyone to do his dirty work again.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
The rebirth is definitely in progress. Last week Ted said he didn't want his Dad's handouts or something to that effect and ditched the Million Dollar Title. I think they've finally realised that the "fortunate son" gimmick isn't working.

There's still plenty of time for him to find his niche. Contrary to popular opinion, I think he's damn good in the ring.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I too have thought maybe taking the risk and pushing him as a babyface is his best bet. It's risky but with his family name in the company he kind of gets that little extra credibility or respect that someone all together new would never get. They could go as simple as him losing getting frustrated and reflecting on what he has done so far, where he went wrong and what he needs to do to get to where he wants. His character strikes me as a very logical one, one that could sit back and realize he needs to step up change some things and make an impact (all kayfabe).

It would have to be something more than just saying 'hey im good now' and putting him against heels. He needs to be heel, be involved in something with one face that fans love and a heel that they don't want to see win. He flips over, turns his alliance and thus gets the face over. I mean, to date John Morrison is the best tool to get wrestler over lol. (Melina, Miz, Truth)

Either way though a face run can't hurt him and to me he seems like he might be able to pull it off. I would love to see him as a pal of Bryan and not an enemy. He would be a great asset to the Mid card level and personally if he could get more appealing I would love to see him replace Truth or at least give us a light break from Truth every now and then by being a solid face mid card wrestler.

·
18,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I do think they have taken the first baby steps to remaking him and potentially turning him face. It does need to be at least somewhat dramatic for it to work... The audience is still waiting for a reason to care about him, unfortunately enough for him.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The Million Dollar Child has absolutely no momentum right now. He's just too bland, comes off like he doesn't care...I don't know if that's his character or if he's genuinely unhappy with his current direction. Either way, he does need an overhaul. Reminds me of Desmond Wolfe losing those string of matches on impact not too long ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts