Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Strikes is primary in the WWE style. I would prefer for some of those guys to go back to exchanging holds Benoit/Angle/Guerrero style. That makes it look more legit to me.

I don't mind striking though and I love the psychology of the game but exchanging holds and striking is what I grew up watching and its what I enjoy most. The striking heavy style of the AE only benefits those who use a lot of intensity with it (ala Austin & Rock).

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Shows you how far WWE had fallen when it comes to their quality of mapping out matches. Most of the time, it's so predictable and follows a very very overused formula, which is extremely common in PG era matches.

-Pretentious chain wrestling that doesn't even make sense

-Long ass chin locks, basically generic head based subs that eat a lot of time 2/4 into a match

-Momentum turning punch and kicks exchanges

-High impact moves by the face wrestler

-Finishers spot fest, which leads to......

-Lots of (usually predictable, but not always) False finishes

-A variation of the winning wrestlers finisher that looks like it was taken off the WWE All Stars video game

Almost every 3, 4 or 5 star rated PG era matches followed this exact same formula or a variation of it. They never had this rigidly structured formula during the Ruthless Aggression Era or even during the Attitude Era. In RAE and AE matches, even a punch or a kick had a well placed logic to a match's story telling or psychology.
When was the last time that happened? Very few people do that. Maybe Jericho or Punk but for the most part nobody chain wrestles anymore. Hell Ezekiel Jackson had to reintroduce the body slam because nobody did it.

There were basic moves everyone could do: body slam, hip toss, back body drop, clothesline, chin locks, collar & elbow tie ups, front face locks etc and nobody really does any of that stuff anymore. Its all punching & kicking now with some high spots mixed in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.