Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
5,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the AWESOME Cena vs Lesnar match (barring result) I'd like to know what everyones opinion on said topic is. How many ****-***** matches are there with so little "moves", but yet with so much "action" at the same time such as yesterday? And how many of those matches make so much sense from a storytelling and especially ring-psychology standpoint today?

The match yesterday was the clostest to oldschool wrestlika aka the "it's still real to me" era as we can get in a time like this, the fans were on the edge of their seats despite not going overboard with anything, and the biggest spot was a flying elbow and AA on the steel steps, two rather "tame" moves in comparision to the indy spotfests or WWE cruiserweight/TNA X-Division wrestling, but it got so much more emotion. Wrestling becomes a totally different breed when suddenly every single punch and kick matters, it makes every high impact move standout just that much more. Normally in a match people hit punches and kicks all the time, but they reccuperate soon after and it's as if those shots never happened, yesterday we saw how a match works where simple punches are sold throughout the WHOLE match.

Now I know that this kind of match can be extremely dangerous unless the workers are great "worked" strikers (Scott Hall used to have great punches back in the day for example), in fact even Puro is WAY softer that that nowadays which tells you quite a lot about the risks to take in such a match, but even without brutalising the opponent, do you think that making punches and kicks, knee, elbows etc stand out elevates the match (without necessarily stiffing the hell out of the opponent, no chance in travelling 300 days a year and beeing able to work that extremely all year round)? I think it just adds a whole new layer to the ring psychology aspect, even good psychology is terrible psychology compared to those worked shootstyle matches where the match flow and transistion is borderline MMA/amateur wrestling, Cena and Lesnar however were so good at it that they knew when to add the traditional movesets and the more spotty moves which made it even better.

So what's your opinion on trying to make single brawling/ground and pound shots credible again? To me, it would be a welcome addition and would help to show the difference between different wrestling styles aka brawler vs highflyer even more, increasing the dynamics bigtime.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
I would love the emphasis on striking and ring psychology to return. The three main event matches at Extreme Rules all had an old-school feel to them in their own way, and all three of these matches were magnificent. It also helps that there are a few other wrestlers on the roster who can make their striking believable enough to make it the heart of their offense. The juxtaposition between striking and other styles also makes a great story. For instance, the Punk/Henry mini-series was so entertaining because of how Punk tried to use all parts of his body to take down a monster, which told a great underdog story in the match.

·
Premium Member
17,329 Posts
It doesn't really need to be done. It would be nice to make it better, but that could be said about so much in the WWE. Lesnar did a really good job though making shit look real. I am looking forward to more of his matches as well. But I don't think they'll take the time to transition to a more 'realistic' or better selling WWE.

Kick...Punch! it's all in the mind!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Strikes is primary in the WWE style. I would prefer for some of those guys to go back to exchanging holds Benoit/Angle/Guerrero style. That makes it look more legit to me.

I don't mind striking though and I love the psychology of the game but exchanging holds and striking is what I grew up watching and its what I enjoy most. The striking heavy style of the AE only benefits those who use a lot of intensity with it (ala Austin & Rock).

·
Banned
914 Posts
Shows you how far WWE had fallen when it comes to their quality of mapping out matches. Most of the time, it's so predictable and follows a very very overused formula, which is extremely common in PG era matches.

-Pretentious chain wrestling that doesn't even make sense

-Long ass chin locks, basically generic head based subs that eat a lot of time 2/4 into a match

-Momentum turning punch and kicks exchanges

-High impact moves by the face wrestler

-Finishers spot fest, which leads to......

-Lots of (usually predictable, but not always) False finishes

-A variation of the winning wrestlers finisher that looks like it was taken off the WWE All Stars video game

Almost every 3, 4 or 5 star rated PG era matches followed this exact same formula or a variation of it. They never had this rigidly structured formula during the Ruthless Aggression Era or even during the Attitude Era. In RAE and AE matches, even a punch or a kick had a well placed logic to a match's story telling or psychology.

·
Banned
852 Posts
I agree with the guy who mentioned exchanging holds. The prime WCW cruiserweight division was my favorite time for technical wrestling, and the holds just added so much. There were the arm wrenches with the rolls and headstands to counter that just added so much to the match. Things like this are what is needed to make the small guys look more legitimate.

As far as striking, I'm all for adding more of it. Especially with the huge guys, strikes when done well make them look like huge threats. Stan Hansen and Vader are probably the two best strikers, IMO, and it really worked for them. The way Lesnar has been hitting Cena since his return is great, too. As long as their opponents are willing to take stiff hits, I'd love to see an emphasis on the striking aspect of wrestling.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Shows you how far WWE had fallen when it comes to their quality of mapping out matches. Most of the time, it's so predictable and follows a very very overused formula, which is extremely common in PG era matches.

-Pretentious chain wrestling that doesn't even make sense

-Long ass chin locks, basically generic head based subs that eat a lot of time 2/4 into a match

-Momentum turning punch and kicks exchanges

-High impact moves by the face wrestler

-Finishers spot fest, which leads to......

-Lots of (usually predictable, but not always) False finishes

-A variation of the winning wrestlers finisher that looks like it was taken off the WWE All Stars video game

Almost every 3, 4 or 5 star rated PG era matches followed this exact same formula or a variation of it. They never had this rigidly structured formula during the Ruthless Aggression Era or even during the Attitude Era. In RAE and AE matches, even a punch or a kick had a well placed logic to a match's story telling or psychology.
When was the last time that happened? Very few people do that. Maybe Jericho or Punk but for the most part nobody chain wrestles anymore. Hell Ezekiel Jackson had to reintroduce the body slam because nobody did it.

There were basic moves everyone could do: body slam, hip toss, back body drop, clothesline, chin locks, collar & elbow tie ups, front face locks etc and nobody really does any of that stuff anymore. Its all punching & kicking now with some high spots mixed in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts