Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time lurker, first time poster, getting back into WWE after a short hiatus (grew up with the attitude era, fell out of love with it around 2005 and just started picking it up again)....

Coming back into watching WWE it doesn't seem to have the same gritty undertones as a large bulk of the attitude-era style of matches bought us. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic and pining for something that can't be given to us anymore, but it seems to me that quite a few of the matches - even the ones that are billed as 'hardcore' - seem quite tame in comparison to what we were used to seeing - thumbtacks at the Rumble 2000 is always a fond memory of mine....

My question is, seeing as WWE seems to be back on the up, would now be a good time for them to consider a sort of 'attitude pt.2' era? Maybe bring back the HC title and introduce someone who could be seen as a young Mick Foley? Bray Wyatt strikes me as the kind of persona who could be led into that role, but I'm not sure.

Opinions?

· Registered
2,035 Posts
Maybe if you reenacted the 24/7 rules but even that would get old after a while. Otherwise,no, hard core fights during the pg era would be excruciatingly lame.

· Registered
5,713 Posts
no... the hardcore title was a joke at the time anyway.... i mean, i guess it MIGHT work now because there really is no other truly hardcore wrestling like there was in the 90's. it just never sat well with me that wwe pushed bob freakin holly and road dogg down my throat as "hardcore" when i could flip the channel and see new jack, sabu, spike dudley, balls mahoney, etc.

heck, even wcw was more hardcore in the 90's with icp wrestling lol

· Registered
2,101 Posts
The PG WWE would never go all in on this. But there's gotta be some way to bring a little edge in the PG era.

If they'd let Ambrose loose on the mic, he and Bray should be able to cut some killer promos in a super feud. I don't think you want to push guys as far as some hardcore matches went because you want to keep the talent healthy. And the thing is once you do something, it's never enough and people keep wanting more and more until it goes off the deep end crazy.

· Weird Heel Run
1,168 Posts
Never should have been retired in the first place...

Made guys like Crash Holly, Hardcore, Raven, and other low-mid carders relevant and gave them a spot on the card.

After all, Raven is a 27 time Hardcore champion!

· Registered
368 Posts
While the Hardcore title kind of worked at the time, it just doesn't have a place in the current WWE. Besides I'd rather watch good wrestling matches than hardcore spotfests. Bringing back the 24/7 rule for something like the US title could be good though.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting thoughts.... glad I wasn't laughed off the forum with the thought of it!

I think the HC title would sit well if WWE are trying to improve things, but as I said, I think it's me more yearning for the nostalgia of the Attitude era. Granted, I've not seen any of the PPV's in the past year or so - lack of Sky sports being in the UK and never finding a stable stream to watch it on means I mainly miss out - but what sort of energy do the PPV's like TLC and HIAC bring? Are they anything like the matches of old?

I just think wrestling as a whole has always been more interesting when a more dangerous aspect of it is exploited - how many peoples' jaws hit the floor at Rumble 2000 when Cactus Jack poured out the thumb tacks, and the barbed wire 2x4 was wielded? Yeah, it's a gimmick and an angle, but I remember that as one of the greatest matches in the past decade or so.

Agree though that with the 'younger fan-friendly' PG era, WWE would likely be unwilling to add 'proper' HC matches back into the mix. Maybe if they kept one show like Raw as a PG, and transformed something like Smackdown into a more adult style it would work, but I guess the main argument there is they'd risk losing revenue streams on merch - if they planned to have something like SD set up for the over-14's, how many of them would log onto wwe.com to buy T-shirts and such?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.