Wrestling Forum banner

Should WWE bring back King of the RIng?

1544 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  Equimanthorn
Should they bring it back and add the stipulation like they did in 2002 that the winner gets a shot at ether WHC/WWE champion at Summerslam. To me it just seems like an easy opportunity to create a new star and it also makes Summerslam feel like the 2nd biggest show of the year.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
18,863 Posts
People have been saying this for years.

I still don't get why WWE got rid of it? Why get rid of a ppv that was so symbolic and jump started the careers of some of the biggest stars we've seen in the wwe?

Get rid of the MITB ppv,have KOTR instead, but have a MITB match at KOTR too(so that we won't just see some good guys stuffed into MITB at WM instead of having them in a good feud) where all the MITB participants are losers in the KOTR tourney.

Then at SS it's the champ vs KOTR winner and we have a MITB winner who could cash in at any time like usual. Is it just me or despite the fact we had 3 mitb winners last year, this seems like the longest time since we had MITB several years ago that nobody is holding a mitb contract?

· The One Who Knocks
5,640 Posts
They should have. But they've absolutely murdered the credibility of the tournament itself that at this point I don't see the point of even doing the tournament anymore, much less bringing back the PPV as a whole.

Why they ever got rid of it in the first place is a mystery I'll never understand.

· Banned
3,177 Posts
No, not unless they get rid of MITB. There are only so many cheap ways you can get away with elevating a star to the main event.

With that being said...

MITB > KOTR.

So, no.

· FORZA AC MILAN
6,329 Posts
If they had the semi finals and final at a PPV they could make every match in the tournament decent (not necessarily really long). In the last one Sheamus got a bye to the final and I remember a couple of years ago when Regal won it he beat Hornswoggle in the quarter final. I think they have to have at least one bullsh** match when they do it all on an episode of Raw to save time.

· Registered
8,512 Posts
Should they bring it back and add the stipulation like they did in 2002 that the winner gets a shot at ether WHC/WWE champion at Summerslam. To me it just seems like an easy opportunity to create a new star and it also makes Summerslam feel like the 2nd biggest show of the year.
My feelings exactly. I don't know why they got rid of it, since King of the Ring has produced historic moments, matches and events in general (1993,1998,2001,2002). It's been a bit hit and miss I suppose (Mabel and Billy Gunn), but they should bring in back to add to the road to Summerslam.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
My feelings exactly. I don't know why they got rid of it, since King of the Ring has produced historic moments, matches and events in general (1993,1998,2001,2002). It's been a bit hit and miss I suppose (Mabel and Billy Gunn), but they should bring in back to add to the road to Summerslam.
The problem is that the King of the Ring concept doesn't draw; people won't buy a PPV to see midcarders thrown together with no build, competing for a largely-worthless accolade. The memorable, historic moments of the KotR PPVs you listed had nothing to do with the tournament itself (Foley/Taker HIAC, Angle/Shane).

I know tournament concepts are popular in the IWC, but they're better left on free TV.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The problem is that the King of the Ring concept doesn't draw; people won't buy a PPV to see midcarders thrown together with no build, competing for a largely-worthless accolade. The memorable, historic moments of the KotR PPVs you listed had nothing to do with the tournament itself (Foley/Taker HIAC, Angle/Shane).

I know tournament concepts are popular in the IWC, but they're better left on free TV.
You book it much like it was in 2002, which had a mixture of established stars like Jericho and up and coming stars like Lesnar, you can also add the stip that the winner gets a World title shot a Summerslam.

· Registered
1,075 Posts
You book it much like it was in 2002, which had a mixture of established stars like Jericho and up and coming stars like Lesnar, you can also add the stip that the winner gets a World title shot a Summerslam.
That still leaves the problem that the tournament itself is a series of vanilla matchups with no heat or build. At least RR has interlocking rivalries and spectacle, and MITB has spotzzz. Even with a title-shot on the line, a tournament is simply too unexciting to sell a PPV (just like Fatal 4 Way was a flop).

· Registered
5,005 Posts
The KOTR is a great concept that leads to Summerslam. I see OP's point. The MITB microwaves guys and automatically gives away a title match. The KOTR MADE Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar & Owen Hart legitimate threats to the title. All you have to do is mix in some main event level guys in there (since you have the title match added it can be like the royal rumble) and the tourney will make money. They just have to invest in a guy for awhile to make him winning look legit. WWE can rewrite history (like they always do) to sell it just omit Billy Gunn & Mabel (which I wouldn't do personally) connect the tourney with Kings like Harley Race & Randy Savage to make it seem like a long standing tradition.

· Registered
7,589 Posts
I would go even further than that and here is my desired plan,

End the brand extension thus going back to just one roster

Cut away all of the dross

Rebuild the tag team division

Cut down to 6 PPV's which would be The Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, King of the Ring,
SummerSlam, a gimmick PPV and Survivor Series so that feuds can have longer builds and so that the biggest feuds really seem special

Instead of so many PPV's have special three hour shows for Raw or SmackDown maybe once a month with HUGE matches to boost ratings

Use the older/bigger names to work with the younger wrestler's and put them over so that the younger wrestler's look believable when the older ones go rather than being seen as being there because no one else was

Allow people who can work the mic to cut promos unscripted so they sound more natural but people who are not too good write rough drafts of what to say so they can get better over time and learn to improvise, this would mean in time they might be able to work unscripted as well in the future.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The KOTR is a great concept that leads to Summerslam. I see OP's point. The MITB microwaves guys and automatically gives away a title match. The KOTR MADE Stone Cold Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar & Owen Hart legitimate threats to the title. All you have to do is mix in some main event level guys in there (since you have the title match added it can be like the royal rumble) and the tourney will make money. They just have to invest in a guy for awhile to make him winning look legit. WWE can rewrite history (like they always do) to sell it just omit Billy Gunn & Mabel (which I wouldn't do personally) connect the tourney with Kings like Harley Race & Randy Savage to make it seem like a long standing tradition.
Exactly, you don't just have to rely on the midcard. You can have some main event guys in the mix like the Edge's, Orton's etc. And you would still have the two World title matches on the card. The Pay-per-views in the Spring in general don't have very high buy rates, so you really have nothing to lose by bringing it back iMO.

· Registered
2,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would go even further than that and here is my desired plan,

End the brand extension thus going back to just one roster

Cut away all of the dross

Rebuild the tag team division

Cut down to 6 PPV's which would be The Royal Rumble, WrestleMania, King of the Ring,
SummerSlam, a gimmick PPV and Survivor Series so that feuds can have longer builds and so that the biggest feuds really seem special

Instead of so many PPV's have special three hour shows for Raw or SmackDown maybe once a month with HUGE matches to boost ratings

Use the older/bigger names to work with the younger wrestler's and put them over so that the younger wrestler's look believable when the older ones go rather than being seen as being there because no one else was

Allow people who can work the mic to cut promos unscripted so they sound more natural but people who are not too good write rough drafts of what to say so they can get better over time and learn to improvise, this would mean in time they might be able to work unscripted as well in the future.
They will never go as low as 10 IMO, they make a ton of their money on pay-per-views buy rates.

· The Winds of Change
5,604 Posts
Absolutely. But if they did, they would need to get rid of the MITB pay per view in the Summer. They could just put it back on the Wrestlemania card and it could work out nicely.

· Registered
715 Posts
A lot of people don't realise that the majority of KOTRs were absolute drivel, 1999 and 2000 spring to mind instantly. That said, I don't think the tournament is really done justice on free TV. It does need it's own PPV, with a decent undercard most importantly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.