Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, WrestleManias I, X, and XX were all held in Madison Square Garden. However, the last five WrestleManias (including this year's) have all been held in huge venues holding 60,000-80,000 people. If you go back and watch the arena WMs, they feel a bit...claustrophobic by comparison.

In short, do you think WWE should honor tradition and hold WrestleMania XXX in MSG? Or should they pick another location in New York, like the new Yankee stadium? (Yes, I know how cold it is in NY in March/April). Or should WWE do away with the New York tradition altogether and hold WrestleMania XXX elsewhere?

·
#JeterFarewellTour
1,278 Posts
I definitely think they should continue on with the tradition. There's just something about MSG that, even though it can't hold 60,000-70,000 people, it still feels special regardless.

BTW, if the weather were to be nicer, I would love the idea of a future WM being at the new Yankee Stadium. Would be a site to see!

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
There's no way it'll be anywhere other than MSG. And, no, it'll never be at Yankee Stadium, or Fenway Park, or Wrigley Field, etc. It's too cold.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Like Vinced gives a damn about tradition anymore. It's all about the MONAYYYYYYY.

Vince could always push back the event three weeks and have WM in late April and have it at the new Yankee Stadium. When's the last time it snowed in late April in New York? Some logistical issues though. The Yankees would be on the road and they'd have to erect a rooftop similar to the WM 24 in Orlando in case it rains. Also can the talent wrestle in 40-45 degree weather?

I think we'll be seeing WM events in 50,000+ venues from here on out. This will be the 5th year in a row that Mania is being held in giant arena/dome and this year's Mania has at least a 5 million dollar gate. There's also so many cities domes/stadiums that have yet to host a WM.

It's too bad NY doesn't have a large indoor stadium becuase WM 30 should be in NY.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
WM 30 will probably be in MSG, but as for 29, I would love to see it in Wembley, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was in that stadium in Dallas with the huge screen.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
It better be in msg !!! I live in ny and there is nothing like a big event in msg. Survivor series this year too.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,156 Posts
Torn on it, personally. There's the logical problem of how the arena can only seat so many people, and considering that WWE had no problem selling the Georgia Dome out this year with a transitional Wrestlemania, and can fill up football stadiums for a typical Wrestlemania, considering how hyped the "every ten years" Wrestlemanias are, MSG, while rightly sacred ground for WWE, just doesn't seem big enough a venue in which to hold it.

The New Yankee Stadium could be a possibility. Wrestlemania 30 would probably take place on Sunday, March 30th, and it's probably going to be chilly if they hold it outdoors but on the other hand they do play baseball there for the Yankees only a few days later in regular season. Easter Sunday in 2014 is April 20th, so that's out. I believe the latest Wrestlemania has ever taken place is on April 7th, which could very well be the date for the 2013 Wrestlemania since Easter Sunday is on March 31 that year. (And if Wrestlemania is in Toronto for XXIX, it would make some sense to have it pushed back even if only by a week or two into April.)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Speaking of arenas, they should have a WM in London sometime and the Tokyo Dome.
Never gonna happen until their popularity overseas jumps up quite a bit. It just wouldn't attract the same crowds as in the States, and would cost more for them, plus if they did it live there's the issue of broadcasting at a decent time for North American audiences to watch it. Wrestlemania in the UK starting at 8 PM local time would mean it would start at 3 PM EST and 12 PM PST, a bit early for a Pay-Per-View. Japan is even worse, 14 hours ahead of EST. If they held it at 8 PM local time it would be 6 AM EST. They'd have to hold it at 10 in the morning on a Monday for a live broadcast to the North American market at 8 PM Sunday.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts