Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on Dynamite it almost sounded like he didn't know where he was.

They cut him off before he could say WWE (for like the 5th time now), then went with the generic "this promotion".

Had multiple times where he said a completely wrong move and seemed disoriented.

I love JR and think he is the all time GOAT at what he does, but I think something is going on in his brain. His voice and everything about his presence right now seems like someone battling early stages of dementia.

·
Registered
94 Posts
For a bit last night, I thought he had sort of come back to some semblance of his old self, but then there were too many instances where he seemed confused. Called Moxley's finisher "a double arm suplex" etc. For his sake, I think they need to send him on whenever his contract expires. It's quite frankly getting sad to hear him try to keep up with what's happening on the shows.

·
Premium Member
WF Legend
8,467 Posts
JR will be 70 years old next year, I don't know about dementia but as you get older you're not as sharp as you once were. My mum is 63 years old and she is more forgetful, doesn't deal as well with pressure or stress anymore etc etc.

JR is probably the same, high pressure gig like that which is stressful and at times confusing probably makes him fuck up a fair bit.

He should probably be retired and brought out every now and then by wrestling promotions for major events. Would love to see him call a WrestleMania main event again, would love to see AEW also keep using him but perhaps also Impact, NJPW and ROH also. Full time isn't for him anymore though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
For me, he's the GOAT at his position. That being said, he makes way too many mistakes and shouldn't be on TV. He's forgetting more and more it seems. We all know that if Danielson signs there, he'll call him Daniel Bryan multiple times.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Amazes me people will support the trash of Excalibur and yet someone that actually is good but makes mistakes dint get a pass.

I take mistakes and flaws any day over someone that sounds like he has something I'm his throw well he Jerks himself off of Excitement over every last thing he says. Over selling everything and everyone. There is no balance and zero story or feel to him. Just a nerd over selling everything .

Feels forced and try and and as I said his voice is terrible. At least jr sounds normal

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Amazes me people will support the trash of Excalibur and yet someone that actually is good but makes mistakes dint get a pass.

I take mistakes and flaws any day over someone that sounds like he has something I'm his throw well he Jerks himself off of Excitement over every last thing he says. Over selling everything and everyone. There is no balance and zero story or feel to him. Just a nerd over selling everything .

Feels forced and try and and as I said his voice is terrible. At least jr sounds normal
Mistakes don't bother me. Everyone trips over their own words almost every day it just so happens he does it on commentary. It's much easier to overlook than listening to Michael Cole disingenuously shout 'oh my! could it be? It is!' whenever someone returns.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
aew is dangerously slowly starting to be more and more like wwe and i feel its commentary is next. aew is going to lose a lot of its core fans the more they act like wwe

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Legend, greatest wrestling commentator of all time, but he is bordering on completely embarrassing and needs to be put out to pasture.

Replace him with Ranallo.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
33,197 Posts

I like JR 10 x more than Excalibur as a person. That doesn't change the fact that Excalibur is better at his job. JR needs to retire. It's not just one mistake. This is becoming a weekly issue now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't really understand the hate Excalibur gets to be honest. Dude's a wrestling nerd through and through, genuinely enjoys doing what he does and is massively knowledgable about the industry and knows a ton of niche moves names and facts about wrestlers. He does an okay job at articulating these things. He's also a great punching bag that heels can make fun of when they come to the booth due to the fact that he's such a dork. Outside of the fact he looks like a dork keeping the mask while on commentary, he's a pretty great person to have for an announce team trio imo and definitely adds to the team. For me, he's the best commentator they have and he'll only improve over time in the role.

·
Hardcore Casual
1,782 Posts
Mistakes don't bother me. Everyone trips over their own words almost every day it just so happens he does it on commentary. It's much easier to overlook than listening to Michael Cole disingenuously shout 'oh my! could it be? It is!' whenever someone returns.
Like there's no alternative to Michael "Vince Has Been in My Ear for 20 Years Now" Cole and a senile septuagenarian past his prime.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
I like JR 10 x more than Excalibur as a person. That doesn't change the fact that Excalibur is better at his job. JR needs to retire. It's not just one mistake. This is becoming a weekly issue now.

being better at a job does not mean its doing good for the company. many people have complained about him. there is women that know what they are talking about when they call sports but countless men dislike them because of the voicess or how they prnounce words. thats a random example but its heavily important how someone sounds and is presentenced compared to skill and knowledge. Its like saying someone that went to univirsty deserves a job when in this modern day that proves that in times its very opposite.

anyways i understand the nip picking and entirely fair but i take someone that sounds good and not over exaggerating and overly making every last thing seems beyond amazing fake.

there is a reason why people hired for voie jobs is also heavily based off the voice and the persona. british people are hired a lot in american jobs because apparently people will listen to them more carefully because of the accent.

its like codys bullshit promos he keeps repeating desperately needing to tell us how hard he has to work so we will like him and that he deserves his spot bla bla

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as trying to diagnose him with dementia (Especially considering I'm not a medical professional and even if I was I wouldn't try to diagnose someone I've never met personally) but live commentary is not an easy job and you watch commentary in any promotion, hell in any sport you're bound to see fuck ups, the big problem is JR just doesn't seem invested at all, he comes off as he's bored and doesn't care enough to fully learn the roster or their moves, I think they should keep him employed because he's a good hand backstage and he does fine in the interview packages but he just doesn't feel that invested in the matches to be on commentary.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts
Or maybe he's just old.

Once his contract runs out, he needs to be replaced on commentary booth. Have him call few matches here and there and keep him in a backstage role.

Ranallo would be an awesome replacement.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
33,197 Posts
being better at a job does not mean its doing good for the company. many people have complained about him. there is women that know what they are talking about when they call sports but countless men dislike them because of the voicess or how they prnounce words. thats a random example but its heavily important how someone sounds and is presentenced compared to skill and knowledge. Its like saying someone that went to univirsty deserves a job when in this modern day that proves that in times its very opposite.

anyways i understand the nip picking and entirely fair but i take someone that sounds good and not over exaggerating and overly making every last thing seems beyond amazing fake.

there is a reason why people hired for voie jobs is also heavily based off the voice and the persona. british people are hired a lot in american jobs because apparently people will listen to them more carefully because of the accent.

its like codys bullshit promos he keeps repeating desperately needing to tell us how hard he has to work so we will like him and that he deserves his spot bla bla
I think Mauro Ranallo is a bigger offender of the over exaggeration and people seem to love him, so to each their own.

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
No he just isn't good anymore and for whatever reason people are way to slow to admit it. He's getting by on legend status and that's it.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
No he just isn't good anymore and for whatever reason people are way to slow to admit it. He's getting by on legend status and that's it.
of course hes not as good anymore but its amazes me that people will shit on him for some mistake when he still is general good and yet they let Excalibur's wwe style bullshit fly

i think you will agree that aew is slowly forming into wwe and losing its thing

1 - 20 of 37 Posts