Wrestling Forum banner

Should TNA start using the WWE-style in ring?

3634 46
Its obvious that with this regime, the old school TNA style simply does not cut it anymore for the personnel. The guys who can shine in this style are mostly gone or not being pushed. And the guys being pushed are better off wrestling in the WWE style(long, slow, grind it out, face gets put in a sleeper or arm hold the entire match, then comes back hits their 5 move moveset, and either wins or gets screwed)

IMO it would help their in ring work rate for their PPVs and even iMpacts out a lot.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Its obvious that with this regime, the old school TNA style simply does not cut it anymore for the personnel. The guys who can shine in this style are mostly gone or not being pushed. And the guys being pushed are better off wrestling in the WWE style(long, slow, grind it out, face gets put in a sleeper or arm hold the entire match, then comes back hits their 5 move moveset, and either wins or gets screwed)

IMO it would help their in ring work rate for their PPVs and even iMpacts out a lot.
What difference does it make when they barely have time to wrestle.

· Banned
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ isn't the whole thing about TNA supposed to be that they are the alternative to the WWE, in that their guys can go in the ring? That was their formula wasn't it? ?That's what drew most people to them. And right now their in ring work just isn't cutting it anymore because their guys, lets face it, aren't good enough to work the TNA/Indy style outside of a few guys who are not going to be pushed anytime soon.

So switching to the WWE style would improve their work rate by hiding a lot of the current wrestlers' in the main events deficiencies. Improving the in ring work would be HUGE for TNA. Right now their wrestling sucks AND their stories suck... And that's when they actually even have a main event match for their ppv.

· Banned
10,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, the new wrestlers should adapt.
Good opinion, but its clear that they don't have the skills or work ethic to do that. So the company needs to hence adapt to the wrestlers by going with the slow, generic, grind it out, WWE style to maximize their skills and hide their deficiencies. It would improve the product.

· also known as a BUSTER
13,290 Posts

They've been doing this for three years. Where the fuck have you been? This is one of the main things that's wrong with TNA today.

· Banned
2,426 Posts
Good opinion, but its clear that they don't have the skills or work ethic to do that. So the company needs to hence adapt to the wrestlers by going with the slow, generic, grind it out, WWE style to maximize their skills and hide their deficiencies. It would improve the product.
For new viewers, sure, but TNA relies heavily on the die hard viewers who put up with almost anything. I could be wrong, but I believe a lot of those viewers keep it up because there are still some great matches, even amidst all the shitty ones. That's certainly the main reason I put up with this crap every week. I honestly believe that leaving the old style behind would be the final straw for some of those fans, perhaps too many for TNA to comfortably let go of.

So compromises should be made. They don't have to dive right into the WWE style to hide the issues, they just have to work together to overcome it. If a Matt Hardy can't keep up with an AJ Styles, slow the match down, but up the spot factor to compensate. If a Pope can't hold up his end of a match with a Joe, have the Joe control things for the majority of the match. The crowd are receptive to a lot of different styles. As long as you don't bore them, they rarely get too worked up about weaknesses in a match.

Match quality can be held together without sacrificing ring-style or star power. My examples may not cover much ground, but if there are human beings in this galaxy who can carry Khali to a tolerable match, I don't think the TNA stars ought to panic just yet.

· Registered
18,709 Posts
Apart from all the Russo overbooking, I don't really notice a difference in overall style. I think wrestlers have their own individual style. Not every WWE wrestler is a "5 moves of doom" wrestler and some of the TNA ones are. For example, RVD has always had his 5 moves of doom, whereas The Undertaker doesn't. Shawn Michaels had 5 moves of doom but Kurt Angle doesn't.

· Registered
2,239 Posts
Honestly, they could copy the WWE style for all I care if they limited all this exposeur of the old has beens. Fourtune, MCMG, GenMe, Williams, and Lethal have all managed to have fun matches while working WWE style without being spotty. Fuck, Danielson, Ziggler, and Morrison can work the WWE style in the WWE without being as boring as the guys currently in the TNA main event scene. Hell, Flair puts in better performances than all of the non-Kurt Angle veterans (and would probably be entertaining if he weren't so goddamn old).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.