Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice with the Brock vs. Cena angle the WWE using a UFC like promo this past monday and thought what if they went one step further and incorporated the way the UFC highlights their big main event fights with a prime time special on how the fighters prepare for the big fight. The "Once and a Lifetime" special honestly was better than the actual build up to the match. Would main event specials be a good or bad idea for the WWE?

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts
Sure. It would get me more hyped up then most angles they do on RAW anyway. No harm in trying.

I say go for it, but don't overkill it. Have one primetime type special for the "Big 4" PPV's and the matches with special stipulations such as Hell In A Cell, Buried Alive etc.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. It would get me more hyped up then most angles they do on RAW anyway. No harm in trying.

I say go for it, but don't overkill it. Have one primetime type special for the "Big 4" PPV's and the matches with special stipulations such as Hell In A Cell, Buried Alive etc.
Yeah meant to put for the top 4 main PPV's. Heck they should've done one for this match with Brock and Cena just to see how it does.

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
Well, they tried it with Rock/Cena and based on the thoughts of many on this board, that wasn't well liked.

It's not often that a WWE PPV has a match that meaningful to require a primetime special devoted to a particular feud. If anything, I can see them doing a countdown/free for all type of show they did in the 80's and 90's, where they recap the feuds, have several interviews and basically hype the upcoming show.

·
Banned
1,134 Posts
They should always show the dark matches for free before a PPV, like how UFC shows the prelim card. Either do it on TV with their TV partners or do it on Facebook or YouTube or something.

They did it for Wrestlemania this year, but the they really half-assed it. A free half hour or full hour before the PPV goes live to get potential buyers hyped up. Give a free match, show some backstage prep of the main event guys so people get excited and buy the PPV.

UFC does this very well. Tonight they'll show a couple fights free on Facebook. Then more free fights on FX. And they'll show some backstage footage of Jones and Evans and it'll end with Dana White and Joe Rogan screaming at the camera, "Buy this PPV! Buy! Buy! Buy!" moments before it starts.

Guaranteed there'll be people sitting at home on the fence and after seen the fights and Jones and Evans backstage will break down and just have to buy it cause they have to see that fight right now.

It's a short attention span, ADHD world. A go home RAW show is too far in the past these days. By Sunday people forget what happened Monday.

I'm surprised WWE doesn't do this more. UFC embraces the carny Barnum & Bailey aspect. Buy! Buy! Buy! $5 to see what's behind the curtain! World's largest pig! The bearded lady! The tattooed man! World's strongest midget! The Great Khali!

You want stupid impulse buys. No time to think. Buy! Buy! Buy!

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
WWE needs to bring back the preshows(they had it on sunday night heat) which UFC is using today called "prelims".

They should only do that "primetime" styled special during big main events(big 4 ppvs too,regardless of the match). If it was something like elimination chamber ppv, then not. But extreme rules with Cena-Lesnar could use the special.

·
I am Jack's broken heart
7,445 Posts
I honestly don't know why everyone hated the Rock/Cena special. It was great. Just another example of how the people around here hate on anything without good reason.

Like I said before, a "Primetime" type show like the UFC would be extremely beneficial for the WWE. If there's one thing that WWE is the best in the world at, it's video editing and making you feel for some guy by explaining his life, childhood, professional life through promo's and documentaries. WHY not use that skill to MAKE money? UFC does it, and they get TONS of buys.

You know why? Cause they hype up their fans through their specials. It really works. If you've ever watched a Countdown to UFC or Primetime show, you understand how impactful those shows are to making you buy the PPV as a consumer. Don't overkill it, but I really think WWE can make quite a load of money if they had a countdown type show before big matches like Lesnar/Cena, and the Big 4 PPV's.

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
I honestly don't know why everyone hated the Rock/Cena special. It was great. Just another example of how the people around here hate on anything without good reason.

Like I said before, a "Primetime" type show like the UFC would be extremely beneficial for the WWE. If there's one thing that WWE is the best in the world at, it's video editing and making you feel for some guy by explaining his life, childhood, professional life through promo's and documentaries. WHY not use that skill to MAKE money? UFC does it, and they get TONS of buys.

You know why? Cause they hype up their fans through their specials. It really works. If you've ever watched a Countdown to UFC or Primetime show, you understand how impactful those shows are to making you buy the PPV as a consumer. Don't overkill it, but I really think WWE can make quite a load of money if they had a countdown type show before big matches like Lesnar/Cena, and the Big 4 PPV's.
I'm assuming the reason everybody hates on the Once In A Lifetime special is because Cena was featured in it. You know everybody hates everything that involves Cena, especially if it portrays him in a good light.

But also, the UFC main events actually have that big fight feel and if it's a rematch, it has more meaning than the initial match. WWE tends to have a variation of the same match for 6 months, mostly featured on RAW.

Since WM and Summerslam are usually their most successful PPV's of the year, I would like to see a countdown or free for all type of show for those 2 events, as well as Royal Rumble. Survivor Series is debatable and rarely feels like a "big 4" PPV.

If for nothing more, WWE should at least use this for their WM PPV's. They tend to have the biggest matches of the year anyway. Not sure about elsewhere but TNA has a preview show on RCN On Demand hyping their PPV's with interviews and recapping certain feuds. I feel this would add more excitement to WWE PPV's.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
No, I don't need that. We already got it and WWE isn't a reality show.

We don't pay to see the "WWE Superstars... training for your pleasure".

If they do it, make it a premium feature that you have to order; I'd rather not have RAW/SD ruined.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Thats called hyping the matches. Why treat Cena/Brock like it's Santino/Otunga?
Showing them getting into "shape" when they're to be fighting every week isn't hyping. It's hyping one match, for one night while saying "but the 51 weeks of the year, these guys don't care to train enough".

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
Showing them getting into "shape" when they're to be fighting every week isn't hyping. It's hyping one match, for one night while saying "but the 51 weeks of the year, these guys don't care to train enough".
Never did I say anything about showing a guy training. My idea was to have a countdown/recap show like they did in the 80's and early 90's. You know, showing the events leading up to the match and having interviews with those involved. And back then, they recapped multiple matches instead of just 1. With the short attention span fans have these days, a recap show will have them more hyped for a PPV.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Never did I say anything about showing a guy training. My idea was to have a countdown/recap show like they did in the 80's and early 90's. You know, showing the events leading up to the match and having interviews with those involved. And back then, they recapped multiple matches instead of just 1. With the short attention span fans have these days, a recap show will have them more hyped for a PPV.
But you aren't the OP?

·
Registered
128 Posts
They can broadcast these event on scale of films in multiplexes;i don't know if that's already happening or not in usa though;all people want is atmosphere with people reacting that can be given in form of theatres

·
Premium Member
15,041 Posts
But you aren't the OP?
I know and considering that you disagree with what the OP said, you should have quoted him and not me because I never said anything about a UFC like primetime special.

I've constantly said a countdown/free for all type of show like WWE has did in the past, so it's not like it would be completely different territory.

Then your argument went from WWE shoving certain feuds down our throats to you not being interested in seeing a wrestler train. When in reality, the old countdown shows recapped the events leading up to each match on the PPV and never showed anybody getting in shape.

But, you quoted me so I take it as you have a problem with my idea, not that there is anything wrong with that. But if you are going to debate my ideas and quote me, debate something I actually said instead of quoting me and debating what the OP said, which wasn't the same idea I had.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts