Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think the WWE should come up with a dark character similar to the Undertaker? If you think so, what kind of gimmick should they create and also, who would you pick to play that role? I think even though he was eliminated from NXT, Eli Cottonwood could play a dark gimmick role pretty good. Hes got that sort of evil look to him. Share your ideas.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
I don't really have any ideas but I agree.
I've always thought there should be another dark gimmick.
It can't be too similar to Taker though.
But yeah, I could see Eli being a dark "freak" type character.
He just needs some work, and I think he should become a little bigger, muscularly if he can.
Eli's just really awkward to me, and clumsy. But he could work on that.
And the awkward part could go with his character anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
It should've been either Raven or Mordecai.

I don't know if they have anyone on the roster currently who could pull that type of gimmick off.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
No. Eli's not even Festus character material. Nevermind dark material.
True, with what we've seen.
He could work on it.
But don't they have some big guy in FCW named Jackson something, I think Andrews.
They could bring him straight in as a dark character instead of on NXT.
But who says a dark character has to be really tall anyways.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
True, with what we've seen.
He could work on it.
But don't they have some big guy in FCW named Jackson something, I think Andrews.
They could bring him straight in as a dark character instead of on NXT.
But who says a dark character has to be really tall anyways.
I really can't see Jackson Andrews pulling that off, all he has is height and as you say, there's no reason why a dark character would need to be huge anyway. Hell, they were going to use Hade Vansen in a 'Fallen Angel' type role and showed a couple of video packages but then pulled the plug on it. Vansen is about 5'10"

·
Registered
960 Posts
LOL. I wish Darren Young had actually taken on a Dark Cena gimmick.

No Dark Character will ever replace The Undertaker. I also can't believe you suggested Eli Cottonwood.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
WWE seem to always fail with these 'dark' type charracters; Undertaker & Kane are the only ones with any ammount of success. They're gunna try and push Eli in the direction but as we've all seen from him already he doesn't have it in him to play the role properly (he's awkward on the mic, always looks down as if he's scared of looking at the fans etc).

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
They should have another dark gimmick in the pipeline for when Undertaker retires, but it has to be a unique spin and certainly not Undertaker V 2.0. Once he retires, that entire gimmick needs to retire with him, untouched.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember about 4 years ago there was a British wrestler who seemed poised to take on a dark gimmick and also hinted that he was going to lead a group of guys to take out Undertaker. Who was this guy? He didn't seem half bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well they had the Mordecai and The Boogyman but boogyman was something else.. Mordecai could of being one of those but I dont know what happened to him... dark characters are actually really cool growing up Undertaker and Kane would always scare the shhh out of me

·
Asuka
96,245 Posts
Why would they need another dark character? Dark characters never work, nobody is good enough to replace Undertaker, and gimmicks are dead anyway. Everybody is just normal, and the few gimmicks we do have left are just variations of real life people.

LOL at suggesting Eli Cottonwood. He'll be lucky if he even makes it to the midcard.

·
Career Ender!
422 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I really liked Mordechai, I was disappointed that they nixed that gimmick so quickly. I thought it had potential. I am a fan of darker type characters. It wouldn't even have to be something pseudo-supernatural or exaggerated like the Undertaker - a darker persona like Raven's would suffice.

I can't remember who it was, but I remember about 4 years ago there was a British wrestler who seemed poised to take on a dark gimmick and also hinted that he was going to lead a group of guys to take out Undertaker. Who was this guy? He didn't seem half bad.
Hade Vansen. This is the one vignette that aired on Smackdown before they aborted the angle. Another shame.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
If WWE DID plan on trying out more gimmicky characters, now is the time to do it. They're aimed decisively at a young audience, and that's the audience that's mostly likely to accept a character that's a bit more "out there." I'm not suggesting a return to the New Generation era, but I wouldn't mind seeing a few guys with a bit more flair. It's all about finding a performer who can pull it off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts