Wrestling Forum banner

Should the "Summer of Punk" have happened earlier?

530 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  HankHill_85
Now we all know the MITB WWE Title match between Cena & Punk last year was one of the best main event matches in a long time, a story was actually made for it and it paid off big time and shot Punk into the main event scene ever since, also this isn't a debate about how WWE fucked it up in the long run, this is primarily talking about the MITB match.

But should this of happened for WM? Same story as MITB leading in but a much bigger stage and a much better match than Miz/Cena which wasn't a letdown because we all knew it wouldn't be great. I know Punk's contract wasn't coming to an end in March/April but they could have incorporated it into the story the same way.

Thoughts on whether WWE dropped the ball by not having this match at their biggest period of the year?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Well, it comes down to the fact that they had the whole idea from Wrestlemania 27 done down in advance. With Rock returning etc, to set up Wrestlemania 28. Plus, the whole thought of Punk had not happened then, he was still feuding with Orton and tied to the New Nexus.

· Premium Member
3,025 Posts
Yes, imagine if Cena was champ, Punk won the Rumble and says his contract is coming to an end the night of WM 27, Rock comes back and calls out Cena, and he have all of the shit that happend in the summer with Punk (the shoot promo, the contract signing with Vince, threatining to leave with the belt) while the Rock and Cena storyline was kicking off all happening at the same time. And at WM we have that classic Punk V Cena match, with Rock hitting the Rock Bottom to Cena costing him and the WWE the title as Punk escapes through the crowd. A GOAT storyline if their ever was one.

· Parks and Recreation Dept.
8,589 Posts
I actually wonder if it shouldn't have happened LATER. The MITB match was awesome, but I can't help but wonder if that whole scenario would have been better suited for Summerslam, a much bigger PPV. Because it really ended on a whimper, in my book. The MITB match was 10 times better than the one at Summerslam.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.