Wrestling Forum banner

Should The Miz really be built as a "strong" World Champion?

2975 47
I've been seeing alot of complaints about the Miz being a "weak" champion but honestly why would it be any other way? Does this guy

really look like someone that you would see kicking ass left and right? He looks more like someone a badass like Triple H would be burying on RAW.

Personally I think he's being booked perfect; a little schemer who uses his mind to give him the win. No other way would be believable imo.
Reactions: MOBELS
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Asuka
^Take this off
126,684 Posts
Nice job on the awful picture from before he started getting a push. You could've at least used one that applied to how he looks today. I have to admit, though, that picture is quite telling of just how far he's come. If you told me that guy would be main eventing WrestleMania one day, I would've laughed in your ear so loud you'd go deaf.

Miz should be a weak champion who scrapes by because he's a heel. You shouldn't be a dominant heel unless you're a big guy like Wade Barrett, or unless you can make being a small winner believable through your technical skills like Daniel Bryan.

There's no reason why he can't be a strong champion as a face. Sure, he doesn't look like it, but compared to Rey Mysterio he might as well be Thor.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I see no reason for him to be built as a strong champion right now. This is his first title run after all, and the manner in which he was made to cash in his MITB briefcase fits well with the cowardly way in which he tends to avoid matches unless the odds are stacked for him or alternatively cheat his way to retaining the belt.

I'm sure that down the years we will see another strong run from the Miz, probably as a face.

·
Registered
20,051 Posts
Everything about the Miz shows he should be the type of heel that has to cheat to win and be creative. I have to LOL at people who thinks someone like him is supposed to beat Orton or Cena clean.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
Truth is, we haven't had a world championship reign quite like this in a while. For once, they found the right man to play the right part. Back in 2009, WWE opted to make psychopathic Randy Orton's heel character into a "weak" champion because when he was allowed to look strong he was often cheered by the fans, and it didn't fit with his character. We'll never know how glorious CM Punk's world championship reign could/should have been because it was cut way, way too short, but he was going for a kind of mixture of being "strong" and "weak": strong enough to beat Jeff Hardy clean in Jeff Hardy's own match, and then a cage match, but "weak" when standing next to the freakin' Undertaker. Punk is a very different character as a heel, almost unhinged in that he somehow found himself believing for literally an entire year, if you remember his Elimination Chamber '10 and September '10 Smackdown promo on Undertaker, that he legitimately made Undertaker tap out, saying it happened with unironic relish.

Anyway, you can tell that WWE's plan for Miz has worked, as he's currently probably the most over heel they have in terms of sheer negative reaction right now (Barrett's still kind of finding his footing again over on Smackdown, but he remains very over... less than two months ago, he was dramatically more hated than Miz but things have changed), while Punk still gets a vociferous mixed reaction betweeen kids/women and smart mark guys chanting his name.

For once, WWE is booking a champion kayfabe "weakly" while giving him a good first world championship reign all at the same time. He is, with CM Punk as the main supporting player, practically costar right now, the very center of his brand, which was not the case during the latter half of Swagger's first world championship reign on Smackdown, nor was it the case at all during the first Sheamus reign on Raw, nor Punk himself back on Raw in mid-2008.

The real undercutting of Miz would be if they repeated the mistake of 2002 with Jericho, where they gradually made him the proxy to his manager/valet, Stephanie, in her vendetta against Triple H. Jericho was well-served playing the cocky, charismatic, cheating and "weak" heel champion needing to go outside the rules to beat guys like Austin and Rock without compunction, but where the reign was severely damaged was when creative turned the focus to the Steph/Trips soap opera, leaving Jericho as the outside man looking in during his own first world championship/Unified World Championship reign leading into Wrestlemania. That's how you short-circuit a reign. Playing the "weak" champion like Jericho then, or JBL in '04/'05, or Miz right now, all depends on the execution, and I must say that WWE tends to be rather capable of delivering with vulnerable heel champions who actually fit the part every half-decade or so.

Reactions: BORT

·
Banned
319 Posts
Of course he's not going to be the clean win guy but I don't think anyone expects him to be.

·
Banned
8,284 Posts
Being a weak world champion is the role The Miz was born to play. Creative attempted it with Randy Orton, Sheamus, and Jack Swagger, and they all failed because nobody could seriously believe big guys like them were a bunch of wusses. But Miz fits the puzzle perfectly, so it works.

P.S. - to the OP, why the hell you would use a picture from 5 years ago to say whether or not The Miz is believable as a world champion is beyond me. Take a picture of John Cena from 2002 and tell me if you think he's beleivable either.

·
#TEAMFIT
8,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
P.S. - to the OP, why the hell you would use a picture from 5 years ago to say whether or not The Miz is believable as a world champion is beyond me. Take a picture of John Cena from 2002 and tell me if you think he's beleivable either.
Oh yes your right I mean he looks MUCH more intimidating today doesn't he?

I'm sure even a guy like The Undertaker wouldn't fuck with him.

EDIT: Plus I never said that I didn't think the Miz was a believable champion, just that he could never look like a believable STRONG champion.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
I don't think size has anything to do with it.

The biggest problem with Miz is not that he cheats to win, it's that he is regularly made to look weak against guys that he should be able to beat otherwise *coughJerryLawlercough* That damn ladder match set the 'mood' for his reign, though he's slowly been recovering his heat.

He's also every other heel champion in recent history. Even Sheamus who was supposed to be a monster constantly retained by getting 'lucky' or 'cheating' somehow. If they used this archetype less I wouldn't have a problem with him at all. I just think it's pathetic that they can't even give him a midcarder to go over at EC.

Ultimately, this booking will cost them, because his incoming feud with Cena won't sell at all. He'll be made to look afraid and weak, and probably lose in a quick match at WM, which does nothing for him.

·
AWWWW! Wrestling forum... Don't you dare be sour..
2,386 Posts
Of course he's not going to be the clean win guy but I don't think anyone expects him to be.
The Miz is being used like a heel should be used. Distractions, screwjobs, etc. Fans don't like seeing their favorites faces lose. Miz is 3-0 against Orton, and 7-0 against Cena. They will not let Cena or Orton beat Miz because it would look too realistic. They want the fans to hate Miz so much that it won't be about his wrestling ability. It will be about how much he is getting away with murder and still being WWE Champion. You know what this reminds me of. Back when HHH and Stephanie were married, and everyone wanted HHH to lose that title. But Stephanie and his buddies kept helping him win matches and retain his title. That went on for about a year and that was most likely the best time for HHH as a heel.

When he finally lost to Mick Foley on Raw, so much emotion from the fans. So I think when Miz loses, it won't be from Cena, or Orton or Punk. I think it will be a wrestler who no one expects.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Being a weak world champion is the role The Miz was born to play. Creative attempted it with Randy Orton, Sheamus, and Jack Swagger, and they all failed because nobody could seriously believe big guys like them were a bunch of wusses. But Miz fits the puzzle perfectly, so it works.

I don't know abut that, Cena was extremely muscular in 2002, maybe not as bulky as now, but more ripped, and looked like someone who could tear you apart limb from limb.

As for The Miz, he should be booked as a smart champion, like Jericho was, as he isn't the most intimidating either.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The Miz is being used like a heel should be used. Distractions, screwjobs, etc. Fans don't like seeing their favorites faces lose. Miz is 3-0 against Orton, and 7-0 against Cena. They will not let Cena or Orton beat Miz because it would look too realistic. They want the fans to hate Miz so much that it won't be about his wrestling ability. It will be about how much he is getting away with murder and still being WWE Champion. You know what this reminds me of. Back when HHH and Stephanie were married, and everyone wanted HHH to lose that title. But Stephanie and his buddies kept helping him win matches and retain his title. That went on for about a year and that was most likely the best time for HHH as a heel.

When he finally lost to Mick Foley on Raw, so much emotion from the fans. So I think when Miz loses, it won't be from Cena, or Orton or Punk. I think it will be a wrestler who no one expects.
Actually Miz lost to Orton before his title reign and to Cena like 3-4 times before he changed. So he has some losses. Plus Orton beats him every time on TV, so there's that too.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.