Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Macho Man Randy Savage VS Jake "The Snake" Roberts feud of 1991/1992 was so heated and should have given Jake the most heat of any heel in the WWF at that time.

-He and the Undertaker crash the wedding reception of Savage and Elizabeth at SummerSlam 1991.
-Has a cobra bite Savage's arm on an episode of Superstars.
-Slaps Elizabeth across the face at This Tuesday in Texas after his match with Savage.

After all this has taken place there's only one proper match stipulation for the payoff match of such an intensely heated feud at the time: A 15' high steel cage.
They did have cage matches in their feud at February and March house shows but not at their televised MSG match, Saturday Night's Main Event or even better, at WrestleMania VIII.
Would the cage have been the most fitting climax to the Savage/Jake feud of 91/92? Why didn't they?

·
it's a tarp!
5,954 Posts
Jake got the better wCw offer.

I'd go for an unsanctioned weapons match, where in each corner a weapon was hanging from a pole and could be used with impunity.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I wish Jake had hung around longer. That 1991-92 heel run was in my opinion, the most effective work, of his career. He had a character that could essentially lose regularly but still walk away with enough heat to keep his character strong. The rumor was that Savage called to have the feud ended prematurely because Liz's parents weren't hip to the business and took his inability to properly avenge their daughter in storyline as a sign of weakness.

·
Premium Member
44,440 Posts
They did have cage matches at house shows. I know this for certain because I attended one such event.

I couldn't tell you how good the match was as I wasn't even 7 years old yet and I wasn't judging match quality at that point.

But still, I know they did the match at least a couple of times on House shows. Would have been nice to get one of those babies on a Coliseum video compilation or something.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
The SNME match was the blowoff. Literally immediately after the match, they started the Taker-Jake feud. Savage was getting the belt at Mania, so the feud couldn’t have ended there.

Sure, a cage match would’ve been nice, but that’s just an added bonus.

·
Registered
908 Posts
It had a lot more steam, people were interested and incensed!

They had Jake lose to Undertaker and Savage without huge fanfare and that was it, like
Crazy Jim Films said they could have had him lose and kept him much stronger and ended with a steel cage or texas death or something
It certainly made a lot more sense as a feud than the Flair with the photographs one

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
It always seemed to me like a deck reshuffling happened somewhere. Hogan was going to work with Sid Justice instead of Flair, which meant turning Sid heel. They turned Taker babyface at roughly the same time to balance things out at the top of the card and moved Savage over to working with Flair.

·
Premium Member
15,182 Posts
I wouldn't say a cage match is the only proper stipulation.

Given what the situation was (Savage being retired), it has unsanctioned match written all over it. It addresses the fact that Savage is retired, while also establishing the feud as so heated, the company isn't responsible for what should happen.

Me, personally, I would've stretched it to Wrestlemania.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I wouldn't say a cage match is the only proper stipulation.

Given what the situation was (Savage being retired), it has unsanctioned match written all over it. It addresses the fact that Savage is retired, while also establishing the feud as so heated, the company isn't responsible for what should happen.

Me, personally, I would've stretched it to Wrestlemania.
I would have definitely loved something like that though Savage was reinstated starting at Tuesday in Texas so he was no longer retired.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The attached link is Jake explaining why the feud was cut short...Elizabeth's family were upset at Savage over the Tuesday in Texas angle where Jake slapped her and so on. They went ahead and ended it quicker to make peace.

As for how the feud should have ended, well, it was known (and even announced) that Hogan and Flair would be facing off at Wrestlemania 8. Had the feud been progressing as they did in that era, that would have left Randy and Jake to have a big match at WM 8.

It is hard to speculate if there would have been a gimmick attached to the match because the WWF did not loosely use gimmicks in matches like they did beginning in Attitude Era and definitely today.

But, nonetheless, IMO, Savage would have defended Liz's honor at the Show of Shows!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it had taken place, I imagine the match would have been very heated and intense with quite a few head rams into the cage. Of course Savage would have won, but I imagine that one of the major highlights would have been Savage giving his flying elbow drop off the top of the cage onto Jake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts