Wrestling Forum banner

Should Randy beat Drew for the Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Drew has in no way been a flop as an individual performer, but putting him in a cold feud with a performer who never wins (Ziggler) did him no favours. The same could be said for Orton, with Big Show, re: cold feuds that don't draw viewers. Anyways, as good as Orton's promo work has been this year, he has only had one really good match all year ("The Greatest Match Ever"). His LMS match at WM36 had a decent final five minutes, but was otherwise long, repetitive, and boring. McIntyre had two strong matches with Ziggler (despite their actual feud being cold), and terrific matches with Rollins and Lashley, just in the past 2.5 months. These days, McIntyre is always motivated in-ring, but Orton sometimes isn't. They'll probably bring the best out of one another in a feud, but I have greater faith that Drew will deliver higher-quality, and more varied, matches on a consistent basis, with other performers.

Orton can continue to do compelling character/promo work, but doesn't need a title at this point in his career. Unless he wins only the middle match in a three-PPV feud that ends at Hell In A Cell.

·
IRAN #1
2,417 Posts
Orton is the only interesting thing going on right now, but after building Drew up for months, should he really lose to Orton here?.. Probably not.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
I could see Edge's music playing to distract Orton and cost him the match, protects both of them and continues the Edge vs Orton story

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Give McIntyre the same kind of push that Orton got and he will not only do the same, but beat Orton in that department too.
The guy just beat Lesnar in the main event of Wrestlemania! How much more does he need? Orton has never had a push like that and besides, Orton was selling more in 2004 when he was I.C champion!

Orton is more charismatic, better in the ring and better on the mic so really what does Mcintyre have over Orton?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Disagree about better in the ring, at least in terms of motivation, variety and consistency. Orton often sticks to the the stale Five Moves of Doom format, which Drew hasn't fallen into, particularly since they've let him off the leash in recent months. Drew's really surprised me in that regard.

Orton's promos about Edge were of an intensely personal nature, drawing from a long shared history. While his delivery was solid against Big Show, it wasn't nearly as compelling. We'll see what he brings to the Drew feud. This could end up being the creative peak of Orton's career, or he might just go back on auto-pilot, as he has in many years' past, until he gets back to Edge.

·
Waiting for Kawato
953 Posts
In which way is Drew a star?

Raw ratings are the worst they've ever been. Drew hasn't cut a single memorable promo or had a memorable feud or match

In that time period Orton has had a great feud with edge and cut great promos and has been all around the best heel on the entire planet.

The WWE title should be given to the best of the best. If that is a 40 year old, then so be it.
Okay, your first question is not entirely unjustified :ROFLMAO: they're in the process of trying to make him a star. Booking him strong in a way nobody else in the company is getting the benefit of. I would disagree he's not cut a single memorable promo, while he hasn't had any amazing, killer, all timer ones, he's a good, confident talker with bags of charm. His match with Seth was great, the Lashley one was fine, even the Dolph one was fine.

I agree that Orton has had this really good, prolonged feud (though the first match was a giant heap of ass, let's not forget that) and is generally better than I can probably ever recall him being, but I completely disagree that you just put the title on whoever is best of the best (or that Orton even is that) Orton has arguably been in a more prominent position than Drew going back to the beginning of this Edge feud, and things are still dying. The WWE Title doesn't need to be on the best of the best, it should be used to make this company matter again, they need to make a star, and going backwards is highly unlikely to accomplish that.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Should old, complacent talent with little shine left in him beat the younger star in the making for the title?

Uhh... my business mind says no.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
"WWe needs to make new stars"

McIntyre win title

forty six seconds later

"Okay, time to put the title on Orton"

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME PEOPLE?!

Angry frustrated lilo and stitch GIF on GIFER - by Terdred

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Eh, it doesn’t really matter. It’s sad it’s gotten this way. You can have Drew win and keep plowing along. Orton can win and lose it later. Raw needs some life.

The obvious thing to do would be to skewer younger and try to make Drew a star, but the WWE has lost the ability to do that with routine booking. They need to think of something to get him properly over. Getting fucked out of the belt in a big angle makes sense.

EDIT (more thoughts): I can see Orton winning the WWE Title and then them going with Drew getting the belt back at Payback in a quick turnaround. The Stone Cold Steve Austin/Kane principle. Orton gets a short run to see if people tune in. Then Drew beats him to hammer home the point that he's the guy. As for heels to put against McIntyre, they're probably going to do Hell in a Cell soon, so McIntyre vs. Orton in that makes about as much sense as anything else. Or they could just put all the heels McIntyre has beaten in a giant match. They're hoping to get fans back soon (as unlikely as that is), so when that happens, you'll probably get McIntyre vs. Brock again. You could also call up The Undisputed Era.

There are things to do, it's just whether or not they are compelling.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I’d like Randy to win, but he held the title above his head already, which is a giveaway he’s losing.

I get the feeling Vince has soured on Drew a little though. He’s let Drew say/do a few things lately that he’d normally avoid due to a top dog alpha perception thing. Like bragging about beating Brock Lesnar in the main event of Wrestlemania in 5 minutes.. Cena/Roman would never brag about it like that unprovoked. Either Vince doesn’t care about Drew as FOTC or he’s turning heel later.

I expect Drew to hold it during this period of time to take the heat for the low ratings later.

When crowds are back, Brock will “feel like” winning it back on the first show back or something, and then it’s back to Brock building the next next next guy.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
That wouldn’t shock me, but that’s the wrong move. And I’m a huge Brock fan and don’t like Drew that much.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,325 Posts
Either outcome is okay with me, but my only thing would be, if Drew goes through Orton, whats there left to even throw at him? Turn Owens heel or something? Theyve already brought Corbin and Ziggler over from SD for him to run through. An Orton win would open up some interesting feuds. Orton vs. Owens, Orton vs. Mysterio, Orton vs. Ali, etc.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,325 Posts

McIntyre win title

forty six seconds later

Winning at Mania and dropping it at Summerslam is a pretty commonplace thing. Taker did it. Austin did it. Lesnar did it. Hell, Austin did it in 99, and even in 98 when he was coronated as the biggest star in the business with Tyson, he still dropped it the month after Summerslam. Its not like he dropped it the next month. Hes been booked like a God and has demolished every even semi credible heel they can throw at him. Hell, even if they wanted to turn Big Show for the 400th time, hes already beat him too.

Now if you want to attribute that to the companys total ineptitude to build heels, we agree. But I dont think it kills his star if the hottest heel in the business is able to catch him at Summerslam.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Can kind of see Drew being injured or something in storyline to set up something personal to spin off with. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Drew vs. Walter at WrestleMania. They need to create a personal story for the guy, and I think a rivalry with Walter could be that thing.

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Winning at Mania and dropping it at Summerslam is a pretty commonplace thing. Taker did it. Austin did it. Lesnar did it. Hell, Austin did it in 99, and even in 98 when he was coronated as the biggest star in the business with Tyson, he still dropped it the month after Summerslam. Its not like he dropped it the next month. Hes been booked like a God and has demolished every even semi credible heel they can throw at him. Hell, even if they wanted to turn Big Show for the 400th time, hes already beat him too.

Now if you want to attribute that to the companys total ineptitude to build heels, we agree. But I dont think it kills his star if the hottest heel in the business is able to catch him at Summerslam.
I more meant the idea of dropping it to 29578 time WWe champion Randy Orton.

I get the desire to put the title on a stable champion in these times of uncertainty. But WWe's in the position of not having many stable champions for this very reason.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,325 Posts
I more meant the idea of dropping it to 29578 time WWe champion Randy Orton.

I get the desire to put the title on a stable champion in these times of uncertainty. But WWe's in the position of not having many stable champions for this very reason.

Im fine with him beating Orton, but like I said, what then?

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Im fine with him beating Orton, but like I said, what then?
Honestly? Spin the wheels with Drew while building up a bunch of heels.

Ratings are already in the toilet, and, at least from what the reports say, the networks are fine with it so long as the excuse of corona still lingers. Use this time to do what should have been happening for years and properly build an entire cast opposed to just one male babyface, one male heel, and charlotte flair. If done properly WWe can actually have some feuds with characters worth caring about and ready to go once arena shows start up.

The only company not viewing this time as a chance to try new things and test waters yet swum in is WWe.

·
Registered
24,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

McIntyre win title

forty six seconds later

I don't necessarily disagree, but to play devil's advocate, have they not already made Drew a star? Hasn't lost all year, won the Royal Rumble, beat Brock Lesnar clean in 5 minutes for the title, has been very protected, etc.

Meanwhile Randy, who yeah, I get that's not exactly the newest guy around, is on of the best runs of his career to where I can say he's legit the best heel in wrestling.

Now if they did have Orton win, obviously we all have to see the aftermath to truly judge it. But I don't quite get the idea that Randy should have no chance of winning.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
"WWE needs to make new stars" doesn't mean you want anyone new, by the way. I like Drew enough. He's a talented guy. But people said this when Jinder Mahal was given the belt too. People don't want the Simpsons froghurt/monkey paw wish new guys at the top. They want them to be good without the cruel ironic curse.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts