Wrestling Forum banner

Should Randy beat Drew for the Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
I don't see Randy as the bright spot some make him out to be, he's hit or miss in my book, but I don't see any challengers for Drew after Summerslam.

·
Team AEW
2,982 Posts
Orton sets up so many interesting feuds and you can have Drew win it again WM again in front of a crowd next year provided people are allowed to attend..
Like what intetesing feuds?
As OP mentioned, there's not much options on the face side either. Plus, you can do both KO and Rey feuds with Drew only face vs face, could be interesting too.

Orton is great now, but cutting Drew's legs off right now would be a mistake. They need stars. The only plausible thing here is if Randy cheats to win and Drew gets the title back later, meaning this would be a long, like 3 months feud, and actually they should go with it. By the time Drew gets the belt back, Edge could return and they could build someone else for Drew to face.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
No. McIntyre should kick Orton's head off and beat him in 4 minutes.

Orton as the champion never delivered. Vince's response to Orton not drawing? Made him champion 11 more times.

Drew is a fresh face and is doing a good job with the lemons that he has been given.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Orton drew first blood in this feud, so it makes me think McIntyre is winning just because they are doing underdog WWE booking 101.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
No. McIntyre should kick Orton's head off and beat him in 4 minutes.

Orton as the champion never delivered. Vince's response to Orton not drawing? Made him champion 11 more times.

Drew is a fresh face and is doing a good job with the lemons that he has been given.
Orton has sold more merch in 1 hour than Mcintyre has in his entire life. Lets not be silly here.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,445 Posts
As protected as Drew may be and he sure as hell is booked incredibly strong I don't see him making it past Orton at SummerSlam, You have the hottest Heel in the company against a lukewarm Babyface but strongly booked Champion you do the math.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If I actually liked McIntyre, then I would say no. But I don't care for him. He comes off as a try-hard who wants people to believe he can sit at the big boy's table. I just don't see it with the guy

However, Orton for the most part, has never been a really good champion. WWE are just fucked for interesting feuds from my pov

·
Registered
485 Posts
Orton is taking the gold for sure. He can't lose before his big final match with Edge or that would kill all the momentum for the match going into it. No way they book this match and have Orton come out the loser. Edge will probably take it off him by October at HIAC.

Other than Edge, there's no one for Orton to face except for Drew in a rematch. KO is a possibility but he's ice-cold again. Rey is probably not happening. Black was a great candidate but they are killing his push.

Everything is a mess, these people are lucky that Edge is back or they would have literally nothing going for them except for Sasha Banks.
They're claiming that Edge v Orton wont happen again til Maina. Shoot me now if Orton's gonna hold the title that long!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Orton has done great character work this year, but he's only had one above-average match ("The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever", at Backlash). Drew's been solid on the mic, and he's had bangers with Seth, Lashley, and even Dolph in the past two months alone. If the entire WWE title picture is going to be restricted by the culmination of a feud between two dudes in their 40s who don't need titles to be credible, everything's being booked ass-backwards. If you always revert to the "safe" veterans of the past, you'll never build new stars. Drew is one of the few under-40 male performers who have been booked really well in the past few months, and they shouldn't derail that so soon. You can even have Ric Flair in Randy's corner at SummerSlam, and have Ric accidentally cost him the match, if you want to protect Orton in defeat. Then you can have Orton punt-kick Flair on a later RAW to keep his heat.

Or you can have Drew win at SS, lose at the September PPV in a gimmick match where he doesn't eat a pin, and then win it back at Hell In A Cell (assuming they can find a different location for that PPV, as that cage probably won't fit, height-wise, in the Performance Center).

Orton's feud with Edge is personal. It's not about either of them being unbeatable, and it shouldn't be for a title. Having Orton carry that title for 7-plus months until WM37, only to drop it to Edge, is an absurd notion.
Considering some of the champions we had recently : 52 year old Goldberg, 41 year old Aj Styles , 42 year old Lesnar, then I really don’t see any problem with Orton being 40.

He looks amazing , in fact he looks like a much bigger ass kicker than younger guys like Seth, Bray Alister black and so on.

Who cares what his age is it’s not like he is on his way out and in fact the company can safely rely on him to carry them as a full
Timer for another 2-3 years at least. Building the future is great concept but you still need to take care of your present so they can help you get to the future.

Orton isn’t a past has been Star he is the present generation and actually he is only 5 years older than guys like Drew, Rollins, Corbin , Braun and so on.

Consider the fact that one of the biggest matches ever was Rock vs Hogan at mania where Hogan was 20 years older than rock more than enough in fact to be his father ), and you should understand why putting focus on Orton at this time makes a lot of sense in all fronts

·
Mr Big Shot
131 Posts
One of the best title feuds in a long time. I went with No. They need to keep Drew strong. But if Orton wins it than fine by me. They can then do the title switch Infront of the crowd, and see if Drew is still over.

·
Waiting for Kawato
953 Posts
No. He is 40 years old, Drew is the first star they've legit made since... I guess Becky? Randy has done really well to get himself as hot as he is, and his job now should be to get Drew over doubly huge. That promo last night was a great start, if he loses after that promo it's a massive rub for McIntyre, if he beats him after that promo it's just one more WWE embarrassment. Like all those guys Cena beat who we were told would be just fine... None of those guys are fine.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I won't mind whichever way they decide to go, But unless they plan on doing away with the brand split, Then there's nobody else for Drew to feud with. I mean there is the option of having him feud with MVP's group, but he has already faced Lashley once and MVP is not a big enough star to feel like a actual threat to McIntyre and in my opinion it's to soon to turn Owens Heel again.

There would be plenty of fresh match ups for Orton if he does win the title. Obviously you would have the rematch with McIntyre at the following months PPV. Then you would have the Likes of Owens, Black, and Mysterio to run at Orton and if paced right it could lead to a big title match at next year's mania against edge.

·
rasslin
3,289 Posts
No. He is 40 years old, Drew is the first star they've legit made since... I guess Becky? Randy has done really well to get himself as hot as he is, and his job now should be to get Drew over doubly huge. That promo last night was a great start, if he loses after that promo it's a massive rub for McIntyre, if he beats him after that promo it's just one more WWE embarrassment. Like all those guys Cena beat who we were told would be just fine... None of those guys are fine.
In which way is Drew a star?

Raw ratings are the worst they've ever been. Drew hasn't cut a single memorable promo or had a memorable feud or match

In that time period Orton has had a great feud with edge and cut great promos and has been all around the best heel on the entire planet.

The WWE title should be given to the best of the best. If that is a 40 year old, then so be it.

·
rasslin
3,289 Posts
Like what intetesing feuds?
As OP mentioned, there's not much options on the face side either. Plus, you can do both KO and Rey feuds with Drew only face vs face, could be interesting too.

Orton is great now, but cutting Drew's legs off right now would be a mistake. They need stars. The only plausible thing here is if Randy cheats to win and Drew gets the title back later, meaning this would be a long, like 3 months feud, and actually they should go with it. By the time Drew gets the belt back, Edge could return and they could build someone else for Drew to face.
KO? Rey?

KO is rarely even on TV and when he is he's completely forgettable in every way. The only thing KO is known for these days is going into SJW rants on twitter and trying to cancel people or warning people to wear a mask. Is there anyone that really needs to see this man in a main event feud?

Rey hasn't won a feud since hes returned. How on earth do you envision him getting a title shot?

They could do Drew / Orton for 3 months then...

Orton vs Edge 3

Orton in a heel vs heel feud vs Lashley

and Orton vs Brock 2

all of these are better choices for feuds than anything Drew could have. Drew isn't a bad title holder but have him win again with the fans in the seats.

·
The EST of NXT
28,791 Posts
Like we all saw coming, Randy Orton vs. Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship at Summerslam was all but made official on Raw.

And when you look at it, it's the biggest match Raw can do at the moment. Drew is easily the most protected babyface they have, crushing every challenger and not losing a match all year. Meanwhile, Randy Orton is on one of the best runs of his entire career and at this moment of time is the best heel in all of wrestling.

So it makes for a big and unpredictable match. So the questions comes ups "who should win." Most people would probably say Drew to keep him strong as champion, and I can certainly get behind that.

However, let's say Drew runs through Randy at Summerslam, even if they do a rematch afterwards, who is left for Drew to face after that. He will have beaten Seth, Lashley, Dolph (LOL) and now Randy. They traded AJ who would have been a perfect challenger. So unless they call someone up from NXT or make a trade, Drew really has no one to work after Summerslam if he wins.

But if Randy wins, it's not that much better. Of the guys on the roster now, he could work with KO or Rey. Maybe Black if they decide to build him up again but that's looking unlikely now. But, at least with Randy you have a couple of options.

Ultimately I'm fine going either way because they're both at the top of their games right now but it's still a big decision to make. What would you do?
Orton needs to win because Drew's run has been a complete flop, and he's been given great booking, so the company is not to blame.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I would not be disappointed either way because I like both. I think Randy would be a better champion right now to gain some fan interest. I still have mixed feelings on Drew even being champion yet because I wanted him to get his moment in front of a crowd.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts