Wrestling Forum banner

Should Randy beat Drew for the Championship?

• Yes

Votes: 43 62.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 37.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
24,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like we all saw coming, Randy Orton vs. Drew McIntyre for the WWE Championship at Summerslam was all but made official on Raw.

And when you look at it, it's the biggest match Raw can do at the moment. Drew is easily the most protected babyface they have, crushing every challenger and not losing a match all year. Meanwhile, Randy Orton is on one of the best runs of his entire career and at this moment of time is the best heel in all of wrestling.

So it makes for a big and unpredictable match. So the questions comes ups "who should win." Most people would probably say Drew to keep him strong as champion, and I can certainly get behind that.

However, let's say Drew runs through Randy at Summerslam, even if they do a rematch afterwards, who is left for Drew to face after that. He will have beaten Seth, Lashley, Dolph (LOL) and now Randy. They traded AJ who would have been a perfect challenger. So unless they call someone up from NXT or make a trade, Drew really has no one to work after Summerslam if he wins.

But if Randy wins, it's not that much better. Of the guys on the roster now, he could work with KO or Rey. Maybe Black if they decide to build him up again but that's looking unlikely now. But, at least with Randy you have a couple of options.

Ultimately I'm fine going either way because they're both at the top of their games right now but it's still a big decision to make. What would you do?

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
9,782 Posts
Orton is taking the gold for sure. He can't lose before his big final match with Edge or that would kill all the momentum for the match going into it. No way they book this match and have Orton come out the loser. Edge will probably take it off him by October at HIAC.

Other than Edge, there's no one for Orton to face except for Drew in a rematch. KO is a possibility but he's ice-cold again. Rey is probably not happening. Black was a great candidate but they are killing his push.

Everything is a mess, these people are lucky that Edge is back or they would have literally nothing going for them except for Sasha Banks.

·
Registered
24,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Edge only tore his triceps last month. I don't expect him back until we're closer to 2021.

If Randy does win it, he could drop it back to Drew at the Rumble or something and then face Edge at Mania to end their rivalry for good.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
9,782 Posts
Edge only tore his triceps last month. I don't expect him back until we're closer to 2021.

If Randy does win it, he could drop it back to Drew at the Rumble or something and then face Edge at Mania to end their rivalry for good.
If Edge can't make it back in time for HIAC, then I see that as a big problem. They can't do the rematch with Drew because they can't have him lose twice. And if Drew wins then Orton's momentum dies. So if Orton wins then he has to go possibly 5+ months with no real opponents. So yeah, they probably will have to skin NXT alive for their guys and feed them to Orton. That would probably mean Adam Cole, Ciampa, and Kieth Lee all fed to the Legend Killer.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Mcintyre should be a main stay in the main event for at least a few years or so. Orton would put over Mcintyre big time if he lost to Drew but, Orton winning a major title once or twice more before he calls it a day would be fine. I voted Orton.

·
Baby Yoda
29,803 Posts
Orton is red hot.

There's nowhere to go with Drew with there being no credible challengers left.

Orton sets up so many interesting feuds and you can have Drew win it again WM again in front of a crowd next year provided people are allowed to attend..

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Noooooo. Not without a crowd. Let Drew hold the title going into next year. Then he can drop it.

Reactions: Christopher Near

·
Registered
395 Posts
Randy wins , has a few months dominating reign and drew beats him at RR to get his title back. Perhaps with some help from
Edge so that this can set the final match between Randy and Edge at mania .

Or even better Randy wins , have a long reign and Drew or Edge wins the RR to face Randy at mania and win the title in front of a live crowd.

Or maybe drew retains but Randy keeps striking so they have a rematch where Randy wins .

In any case scenario , I think this one feud should be A long one culminating around RR or mania and have a title switch at some point to keep it fresh.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It should have Ziggler, so that he could drop it back to McIntyre and then McIntyre drops to Orton later. Which would have bought WWE time until Edge could get back in the ring and have one more match with Orton. As well as keep Orton’s momentum going.

But WWE didn’t want to do it that way. So Orton should just win here. Who cares if it blows up in WWE's face later on.

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
I thought for sure Orton would win the title last year Summerslam against Kofi and that didn't happen. I'm not convinced it happens this year either but Orton does have more momentum this time round and Mcintyre has pretty much worked with all the major heels, I don't really know who is left.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Orton has done great character work this year, but he's only had one above-average match ("The Greatest Wrestling Match Ever", at Backlash). Drew's been solid on the mic, and he's had bangers with Seth, Lashley, and even Dolph in the past two months alone. If the entire WWE title picture is going to be restricted by the culmination of a feud between two dudes in their 40s who don't need titles to be credible, everything's being booked ass-backwards. If you always revert to the "safe" veterans of the past, you'll never build new stars. Drew is one of the few under-40 male performers who have been booked really well in the past few months, and they shouldn't derail that so soon. You can even have Ric Flair in Randy's corner at SummerSlam, and have Ric accidentally cost him the match, if you want to protect Orton in defeat. Then you can have Orton punt-kick Flair on a later RAW to keep his heat.

Or you can have Drew win at SS, lose at the September PPV in a gimmick match where he doesn't eat a pin, and then win it back at Hell In A Cell (assuming they can find a different location for that PPV, as that cage probably won't fit, height-wise, in the Performance Center).

Orton's feud with Edge is personal. It's not about either of them being unbeatable, and it shouldn't be for a title. Having Orton carry that title for 7-plus months until WM37, only to drop it to Edge, is an absurd notion.

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,164 Posts
no, it would be like when they stripped CM punk of the WHC cause they thought Jericho vs michaels feud needed a title (it didn't, and nor does Edge/Orton).

it helps no one.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They should stretch this feud as long as Edge can come back. That way they can make Edge costing Orton the title, thus keeping the heat on both of them.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Orton is probably the B.I.T.W. right now. So he should.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts