Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if it is just me but one of my pet hates about WWE right now is that some people seem to be able to kick out of so many finishers while only needing to hit one of their own.

Take last night for example. Punk got hit by a diving headbutt, a yes lock and a chokeslam from hell but kicked out of all of them, even being able to reverse the yes lock after getting a beating by it for a few minutes.

But yet he hits Bryan with one go to sleep in the chest and he couldn't kick out. It took Kane to break the count. Then Punk did the same GTS to Kane into his chest and Kane couldn't kick out.

Now a lot of people complain about "super Cena", me included. But Punk has been doing this for awhile now. It isn't a new thing. Remember in his match with Jericho he got hit with a normal code breaker which he kicked out of. Then the walls of Jericho which he managed to escape after about 5 mins, then to top it off he kicked out of a chair code breaker to the face.

For me if you take 2 finishers it should be over no matter who you are. The only guy who can kick out of those is Taker at Mania and thats because he "digs deep down" to pull something out the bag.

Again maybe it is just me and I don't mean to make it sound an anti-Punk thread I mean it to sound an anti-kick out of multiple finishers thread. Cena did that for ages and continues to do it. In my opinion making these guys seem like Supermen just makes the other guys finishers look weak. And people like Kane should not be made to look weaker then a guy half his size.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Its the only way they can put prestige in the title when they book it as a mid card title.
If its not the main event then they should at least book the champion as a strong force, its only the same way Sheamus has a Brogue Kick from nowhere that is booked as the most powerful move in WWE.

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
That's what happens when you're in the main event. Tolerance to finishers goes up. Everyone kicks out of 14 angle slams per match and that was never a problem.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Thats WWE face booing 101 and has been for a LONG time, its not just Cena and now Punk.

·
Super Moderator
25,842 Posts
Yes, the WWE champion should be made to look strong and tough to put away. It's always been like that.

·
Banned
652 Posts
how about Sheamus surviving like 7 sleeper holds at No Way Out? then again i understand that Sheamus needs to rest a lot since he can't wrestle for more than 3 minutes and he's SuperCena version 2.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
They're making him look stronger - and it's about damn time. Back in the day, when Punk took a finisher like the AA or the codebreaker, you KNEW he wasn't kicking out and he would lose. Now with his new status, you expect him to kick out, like the number 2 star in the company should. It also points towards Punk's desire to hold onto his title, his toughness, his never give up, never-say-die mentality and his tenacity - much like HBK in his prime.

·
Banned
283 Posts
i know shit right i remember at WM jericho had him in the submission hold for a long time in the middle of the ring and i was like its over dude he had him stretched out to the max yet he didnt kick out i was like fuck that punk is lame

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well dont forget that he also tapped out to Bryan last month. When was the last time you saw a top face tap ?

Although I dont like people kicking out of so many finishers , I just hope it doesnt end up like TNA where a finisher needs to be performed multiple times to finish the match.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Not sure if it is just me but one of my pet hates about WWE right now is that some people seem to be able to kick out of so many finishers while only needing to hit one of their own.

Take last night for example. Punk got hit by a diving headbutt, a yes lock and a chokeslam from hell but kicked out of all of them, even being able to reverse the yes lock after getting a beating by it for a few minutes.

But yet he hits Bryan with one go to sleep in the chest and he couldn't kick out. It took Kane to break the count. Then Punk did the same GTS to Kane into his chest and Kane couldn't kick out.

Now a lot of people complain about "super Cena", me included. But Punk has been doing this for awhile now. It isn't a new thing. Remember in his match with Jericho he got hit with a normal code breaker which he kicked out of. Then the walls of Jericho which he managed to escape after about 5 mins, then to top it off he kicked out of a chair code breaker to the face.

For me if you take 2 finishers it should be over no matter who you are. The only guy who can kick out of those is Taker at Mania and thats because he "digs deep down" to pull something out the bag.

Again maybe it is just me and I don't mean to make it sound an anti-Punk thread I mean it to sound an anti-kick out of multiple finishers thread. Cena did that for ages and continues to do it. In my opinion making these guys seem like Supermen just makes the other guys finishers look weak. And people like Kane should not be made to look weaker then a guy half his size.
The difference is CM Punk is an internet darling whilst John Cena is the anti christ to those same people and it is only acceptable for favorites of The IWC to be booked as super men. If John Cena hit CM Punk with five Attitude Adjustments and then kicked out no one on here would say anything just as if Randy Orton hit five RKO's on Bryan Danielson it would be acceptable but if John Cena or Randy Orton kicked out once from anything CM Punk or Bryan Danielson did they would be burying them, welcome to the logic of The IWC.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're making him look stronger - and it's about damn time. Back in the day, when Punk took a finisher like the AA or the codebreaker, you KNEW he wasn't kicking out and he would lose. Now with his new status, you expect him to kick out, like the number 2 star in the company should. It also points towards Punk's toughness, his never give up, never-say-die mentality and his tenacity - much like HBK in his prime.
Don't get me wrong a champion should be able to kick out of a finisher. But three of them? That makes them look invincible. Why would someone want to get in the ring with him if he can do that? It is like when Mike Tyson was in his prime, those guys who got in there with him you felt sorry for them. They probably were shitting themselves. They didn't think they would win really.

Nobody should be made to look invincible because when the day comes when he loses it they will have to come up with some bullshit as to why he lost it. Thats what we see from Cena right now. He can't just lose and be beaten by the better man. He has to lose in some gimmick way i.e getting knocked out by show when he was against Laurenitis, count out vs Kane, having people run in and beat him up i.e against Del Rio. Or even when Punk beat Cena at Summerslam. He hit him with two GTS and then pinned Cena. But ello and behold Cena had his leg on the rope hence the start of that crappy feud. Point being even though Punk beat him Cena couldn't go out with some sort of dodgt look reason as to why he lost. That is the shit im talking about. It makes you wonder how Cena must have been when he was told Rock was going to beat him clean at Mania as those things don't happen very often to him.

In my view rather then making the champion look invincible they should have better booking and have more near finishers like how it used to be. Have reversals or moving out the way at the last minute to avoid it. You mention HBK and he was the master at that.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The Diving Headbutt isn't Bryan's finisher and anyone who's important kicks out of the chokeslam. As for Punk kicking out of them in general, it happens with pretty much any and every main eventer. At least he's not kicking out of nearly everything at one like Sheamus is.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
Punk is probably the most believable "super face" as some of you name him. Punk isn't exactly the typical superface who over comes all odds like mr. Cena or shameus. he is believable because he couldn't defeat mark henry, he couldn't defeat roidhead cena clean and he lost to the game-aah. He also tapped out to daniel bryan just seconds after he won via pinfall. How is he a superface of the same meaning john cena and shameus are? Punk is clearly showing more signs of humanity than either Cena or Shameus.

Reactions: mblonde09

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
When did Bryan beat anyone with the Diving Headbutt?It's a signature move for a nearfall, he never wins.

He kicked out of a Chokeslam and reversed the Yes Lock, that's not an overkill, that's totally fine for your face WWE Champion.

Reactions: mblonde09

·
Raevolution is a Mystery
23,791 Posts
It makes sense because he's the WWE champ but he still looks believable too. Tapping at OTL and getting pinned regularly still. It makes it believable, regardless of what people say. It's pretty balanced.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts