Wrestling Forum banner

Which console?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an X-Box that I got rid of a little while ago because I completely lost interest in video games. Well with NBA 2K11 being released today and games like COD Black Ops, SD vs RAW 2011, Dragon Ball: Raging Blast 2, and a lot of other exciting games coming out I've decided that I want to purchase another console.

The question is do I want to get an X Box again or a PS3 this time? The new X-Box really appeals to me with the built in wifi and much slicker look. On the other hand, the PS3 is awesome with the BluRay and a lot of games that aren't available on the 360. Of course the same can be said about the 360.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Is the PS3 online as cool as X-Box live? Isn't it free as far as I'm aware? Let me know what you guys think, and these are the 2 packages I plan on choosing between.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=020058

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/productDetails.aspx?sku=020066

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
It depends. What are you going to be doing more? Gaming or entertainment? If you're more of a gaming guy, read on. But, if you're more of a video/music kinda guy, go with the PS3. Sorry 360 marks, it sucks when it comes to this, especially video. I've had problems even playing a simple AVI file on the 360, while I've had absolutely no troubles on the PS3.

But, anyway, alot of people say the PS3 game library is utter shit, but as an owner of a PS3, I disagree. Sure, it doesn't have as much of a variety (if you could call it that), but that doesn't mean it's shit. Half of 360's exclusives are shitty FPS's or something, so don't listen to that shit.

You mentioned that you like the look of the 360, but that doesn't help in terms of actual gaming. The BluRay on the PS3 is awesome, but since I've only seen it utilized once, I personally wouldn't consider it a determining factor.

And about online play. I personally can't stand Live. It pisses me off. Everybody thinks they're fucking Jesus, and thus are assholes. And they keep bumping up the price. Ugh. And yes, PS3's is still free to play online, but they have something about a Gold account with certain shit I guess. I don't know.

Basically, it all comes down to personal preference. If you wanna play a bunch of FPS's and Halo sequels, go with the 360. If you wanna play only certain types of games, while being able to watch videos and listen to music, go with the PS3. What I'd do is look up a list of games first, and see which library you prefer, then decide.

Oh, and don't go for the Wii. It sucks.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
I just had a 2nd 360 break on me so I'm not sure. Live is great but the consoles suck balls. I'm thinking about getting a PS3 instead of another 360 myself.

·
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Watching videos and listening to music isn't all that important to me. I'm more concerned in which one has the better online gaming experience, and is worth the price.

A lot of the games that I like are on both consoles, however I am a big fan of Gears of War.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Watching videos and listening to music isn't all that important to me. I'm more concerned in which one has the better online gaming experience, and is worth the price.
I've never had any problems with people on the PS3 online. I don't know what it is, but the people on Live just suck. And I'm not a PS3 fanboy or anything, it just seems that way. Hell, I even paid for Live for a while to play Left 4 Dead, and most of the time it was worth it. But sometimes...damn. It blew ass.

A lot of the games that I like are on both consoles, however I am a big fan of Gears of War.
Then you'd probably be better off going with the 360. Added to that if you're a Halo fan.

·
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've never been a huge Halo fan but GOW is the shit.

Is PS3 online free? That's awesome if so.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
I just had a 2nd 360 break on me so I'm not sure. Live is great but the consoles suck balls. I'm thinking about getting a PS3 instead of another 360 myself.
Same exact shit just happened to me for the second time too. First time was the RRD and the 2nd time was the "open tray" error shit where it doesn't read your disks anymore. Exactly what I was going to post lol.

·
Asuka
96,380 Posts
PS3 is the superior system in every way. As an owner of both, the absolute only time I use my 360 is to play a 360 exclusive and the only one I find worth the time is Gears. I would have said Mass Effect but Mass Effect 2 and then obviously 3 later on is coming to PS3 anyway, although, granted, you'll miss out on 1 and that does add layers onto the story, but regardless, you'll get the game anyway on PS3 and it'll still be incredible. PS3 has the God of War franchise as well, which I'd rather play than anything else the 360 has to offer.

PS3 has Blu Ray, which has helped me a ton. Makes everything look a million times better. If you get a slim, which is what you should do, it's smaller than a 360 so it takes up less space. If you're into online play, on PS3 you don't have to pay a monthly fee for it which is a bonus. Neither do you have to deal with 360's unbelievably annoying points system for downloadable content. On PS3 you can add the amount of money you want to your virtual wallet to pick up an item, but on 360 it goes by a point system, so if you only need 50 points more than what you've got to buy something, you've got to shell out $7.25 for 500 points, that's the lowest amount. And sure, you may use those points eventually, but it's a fucking waste to pay for it when you're not doing so.

I'd take a shit on my 360 if I had a choice of which one I was gonna keep.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
The Sheikuation™;8917961 said:
Is PS3 online free? That's awesome if so.
Yup. But like I said, they have some sort of Gold account thing. Here...

PlayStation Plus is a premium PlayStation Network subscription service that was officially unveiled at E3 2010 by Jack Tretton, President and CEO of SCEA. Rumors of such service had been in speculation since Kaz Hirai's announcement at TGS 2009 of a possible paid service for PSN but with the current PSN service still available. Launched alongside PS3 firmware 3.40 and PSP firmware 6.30 on June 29, 2010, the paid-for subscription service provides users with enhanced services on the PlayStation Network, on top of the current PSN service which is still available with all of its features. These enhancements include the ability to have demos, game and system software updates download automatically to the PlayStation 3. Subscribers also get early or exclusive access to some betas, game demos, premium downloadable content and other PlayStation Store items as well as a free subscription to Qore. Users may choose to purchase either a one-year or a three-month subscription to PlayStation Plus.

SCEA is offering a limited time offer for the one-year subscription, which is an additional three-months for free, while SCEE is offering one-year subscribers a digital copy of LittleBigPlanet for a limited time. Regular free bonuses are also made available. These include PlayStation Store discounts and free PlayStation Network games and DLC, PSone Classics and PlayStation Minis which the user will own for the duration of their subscription as well as themes and avatars which the user can keep after their subscription has lapsed. PlayStation Plus also offers "Full Game Trials" of some PlayStation Network and retail games, allowing the user to download the full game and use it for one hour. Users can later purchase the game and continue their progress. For SCEA, the first Full Game Trial is for inFamous, while European subscribers get to try out Shatter and Savage Moon. In addition, users who are PlayStation Plus subscribers have the PlayStation Plus icon by their PSN ID. Users can only sign up for PlayStation Plus through the PlayStation Store via the PS3.
Pyro™;8917966 said:
PS3 is the superior system in every way. As an owner of both, the absolute only time I use my 360 is to play a 360 exclusive and the only one I find worth the time is Gears. I would have said Mass Effect but Mass Effect 2 and then obviously 3 later on is coming to PS3 anyway, although, granted, you'll miss out on 1 and that does add layers onto the story, but regardless, you'll get the game anyway on PS3 and it'll still be incredible. PS3 has the God of War franchise as well, which I'd rather play than anything else the 360 has to offer.
I'd have to agree with this.

Neither do you have to deal with 360's unbelievably annoying points system for downloadable content. On PS3 you can add the amount of money you want to your vitual wallet to pick up an item, but on 360 it goes by a point system, so if you only need 50 points more than what you've got to buy something, you've got to shell out $7.25 for 500 points, that's the lowest amount. And sure, you may use those points eventually, but it's a fucking waste to pay for it when you're not doing so.
I fucking hate this too. What's the fucking problem with using MONEY? Fuck.

·
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shit, I really was expecting to get the x-box but now I'm actually seriously debating which to spend my money on.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Just thought I'd add. My 360 is good for Netflix though. It streams movies/TV shows right to my TV. There's hundreds if not thousands of choices that you can watch through that, not all movies though. So if you have Netflix and Online it's good for that. I've actually been using it for that a lot lately since it doesn't play games anymore. I don't think that's available for PS3

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
The Sheikuation™;8917974 said:
Shit, I really was expecting to get the x-box but now I'm actually seriously debating which to spend my money on.
Like I said, if you like the 360's library better, get it. But, be prepared for a bunch of Live bullshit. Whether it be the people, or like Pyro said, the point system crap.

Just thought I'd add. My 360 is good for Netflix though. It streams movies/TV shows right to my TV. There's hundreds if not thousands of choices that you can watch through that, not all movies though. So if you have Netflix and Online it's good for that. I've actually been using it for that a lot lately since it doesn't play games anymore. I don't think that's available for PS3
This is one of the rare things that I really enjoy from the 360. The selection is fucking amazing. But, I could always just go download any of it, so that kinda defeats the purpose...

·
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I had the 360 for many years, I'm aware of the whack ass point system. lol.

Okay here's a question. Does the PS3 fuck up as much as the 360? Does it get anything like the bitch ass red ring of doom?

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Fuck Gears of War, PS3 has God of War. Lol.

I have a PS3, so I'm a little biased in these discussions. I feel that Halo is incredibly overrated, but again, that's likely my bias. Gears of War is great. But the PS3 has Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, LittleBIGPlanet, Gran Turismo, inFamous, Twisted Metal, SOCOM, Yakuza, Ratchet and Clank, and Resistance as great franchises that will continue in the [near] future. There's also Demon's Souls and Valkyria Chronicles, 2 incredible RPGs. There are other games, such as 3D Dot Game Heroes and ModNation Racers, in addition to the games available on both consoles.

I don't understand the people who say the PS3 has no good games. Clearly XBox fanboys.

Overall, I decided that the PS3 was the best investment for me, and after 3 years of ownership, I have never regretted it.

EDIT: To those of you talking about Netflix, if you have a Netflix membership, you just need to go to the site and request a PS3 disc. It's free, and you'll get it in like 2 days. Then, you just pop the disc in and you can browse your instant queue/every other instant movie available. Same with the Wii.

EDIT2:

The Sheikuation™;8917978 said:
Okay here's a question. Does the PS3 fuck up as much as the 360? Does it get anything like the bitch ass red ring of doom?
Yeah, the Yellow Light of Death. It's very rare. Like I said above, I've had it for 3 years and I've never gotten it.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
Same exact shit just happened to me for the second time too. First time was the RRD and the 2nd time was the "open tray" error shit where it doesn't read your disks anymore. Exactly what I was going to post lol.
Mine's completely dead. I was playing Madden then the system made a beep sound and froze so I turned it off back on and now it just flashes red lights and a screen won't even come up.

·
Asuka
96,380 Posts
It is in Canada, and an IGN correspondent said it's coming to the States soon (when I saw this a few weeks ago, it was in a month or something).

Fuck Gears of War, PS3 has God of War. Lol.
Agreed, lol. I mean, I love Gears, but dammit, I almost shit my pants when I saw Kratos riding Poseidon in GOW 3. Holy fuck. That's the most visually impressive game I've seen to date.

PS3 also has Uncharted 2 as an exclusive. Now even though I'm not the biggest fan of that in the world, it is still amazing, and the amount of people that went batshit for that game is endless. It got more perfect scores than I've seen in....I don't know how long. That's another PS3 exclusive worth looking into.

·
DELIRIUM
4,544 Posts
Pyro™;8917982 said:
It is in Canada, and an IGN correspondent said it's coming to the States soon (when I saw this a few weeks ago, it was in a month or something).
Well, so much for that advantage. I'll probably be getting that whenever I have the extra funds.

The Sheikuation™;8917978 said:
To be fair, I don't think the newer models of the 360 have the RROD. Don't quote me on that one, though. But, the PS3's failure rate is much lower than the 360's has ever been. Ever heard of the YLOD? Yeah, didn't think so.

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Pyro™;8917982 said:

Well I guess I won't be replacing my 360.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
Agreed, lol. I mean, I love Gears, but dammit, I almost shit my pants when I saw Kratos riding Poseidon in GOW 3. Holy fuck. That's the most visually impressive game I've seen to date.

PS3 also has Uncharted 2 as an exclusive. Now even though I'm not the biggest fan of that in the world, it is still amazing, and the amount of people that went batshit for that game is endless. It got more perfect scores than I've seen in....I don't know how long. That's another PS3 exclusive worth looking into.
Absolutely. Kratos is like the greatest character in video game history. I'm calling it haha.

I got UC2 for Christmas and I still haven't finished it yet lol. Spending way too much time playing the stuff I get from GameFly rather than what I actually own. I gotta finish that shit.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts