Wrestling Forum banner

Should AEW Sign Jeff Hardy?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Yes, but only if Jeff is sober and in a good place. His health has to come first.
That said, just imagine AEW’s tag team division if the Hardy’s and Briscoes come in:

Young Bucks
FTR
ReDragon
Lucha Bros.
Santana & Ortiz
Briscoes
Hardys
Jurassic Express
Best Friends
Uno & Grayson
Silver & Reyonlds
Private Party
Butcher & Blade
The Acclaimed
Varsity Blonds

That’s practically a Crockett Cup Tournament right there.

·
Banned
The King Of Rants
11,916 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and say no.

First, Jeff Hardy will turn 45 years old this year, brother Matt will turn 48 this year. That's pretty old in wrestling terms especially for guys that got famous falling off of shit. Matt's body is broken down and I haven't seen Jeff lately but I imagine he's probably in the same boat being the riskier of the two.

Second, the Hardys were at their peak of fame about 22 years ago, AEW needs to be looking for this new fresh audience that tunes into AEW and doesn't immediately think "Oh so this is the place where the old WWE guys go when they want to sign a final contract before retirement"

And with the talent AEW currently has under contract it's hard to argue that AEW isn't the place for guys to go for one last run:

Billy Gunn (58, 23-24 years past his prime)

Bryan Danielson (40, about 5 years past his prime)

Chavo Guerrero Jr. (51, about 10-15 years past his prime)

Chris Jericho (51, about 10-15 years past his prime)

Christian (48, about 15 years past his prime)

CM Punk (43, about 8-9 years past his prime)

Dustin Rhodes (52, about 20 years past his prime)

Jake Hager (39, about 10 years past his prime)

Matt Hardy (47, about 15-20 years past his prime)

Paul Wight (49, easily about 10-15 years past his prime also)

Sting (62, about 20-25 years past his prime)

Then you include all the old support staff or supporting characters. Arn Anderson (63), Don Callis (54), Jake Roberts (66), Jim Ross (70), Mark Henry (50), Taz (54), Tony Schiavone (64), Tully Blanchard (67), Vickie Guerrero (53)

AEW needs to establish itself as young people doing young people things, young people pop culture references, young people humour, appeal to the youth, be the breath of fresh air and just do something different to WWE for once.

Signing Jeff Hardy and reforming a tag team that was at its peak 22 years ago isn't the way to go especially when the AEW fans shout from the rooftops that WWE suck for bringing back Goldberg who was at his peak only a year or two before the Hardys were.

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and say no.

First, Jeff Hardy will turn 45 years old this year, brother Matt will turn 48 this year. That's pretty old in wrestling terms especially for guys that got famous falling off of shit. Matt's body is broken down and I haven't seen Jeff lately but I imagine he's probably in the same boat being the riskier of the two.

Second, the Hardys were at their peak of fame about 22 years ago, AEW needs to be looking for this new fresh audience that tunes into AEW and doesn't immediately think "Oh so this is the place where the old WWE guys go when they want to sign a final contract before retirement"

And with the talent AEW currently has under contract it's hard to argue that AEW isn't the place for guys to go for one last run:

Billy Gunn (58, 23-24 years past his prime)

Bryan Danielson (40, about 5 years past his prime)

Chavo Guerrero Jr. (51, about 10-15 years past his prime)
You lost me there. He never had a prime. He’s sucked since day one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Aew have a wealth of tag team talent so it's difficult....

The Hardy's can't move like they used to. But the pop that they would get would be bigger than anything the current teams could bring.

So although I'd love to see FTR or even the Acclaimed lift the titles (Anthony bowens is one of the most improved recent wrestlers IMO ) Jeff and Matt for one last run would bring in the viewers for sure. Even as old as they are they are they are still a bigger deal than any current team in AEW - and I say that as a huge AEW fan.

Get them in as a last hurrah, win a huge ladder spot fest and then get them to put over a younger team afterwards. That's my view.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Maybe a six or twelve month contract where the Hardy’s can do the nostalgia act and put over some worthy teams.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It doesn’t matter what we want in this case. TK has his heart set on it. Why else would he keep Matt Hardy in the public eye like he has been for far too long? He isn’t getting a hard push or however they would frame it.

Most of his sad stable is injured and that makes his awkward movements and slow ass…ass that much more focused on. Private Party will turn on him. The Butcher and The Blade and The Bunny will drop Hardy next. Then Jeff shows up to rescue him…only Jeff turns on him too. The next four months is the epic struggle as two brothers with deep…Oh God, I flipping hope not!

Matt can get saved by Jeff and the brothers reunite for one last run. They end up NOT winning the titles and lose one final title shot. Unfortunately for them the stipulation would have the Hardys leave town or maybe even retire should they lose that match. Then they lose the match…and probably whore out one more time to WWE.

We don’t need to be happy about it. We can learn to accept it. Please don’t give them much mic time. Matt Hardy sounds so insincere whenever he opens his stupid yap. Only the Broken gimmick comes off as authentic.

That last sentence looks like a joke. It ain’t! No ladders either! Them old bones can’t take it no mo’.

·
Registered
326 Posts
the expedeeshun of gold was never completed. i think it's time to pick up from there. the broken hardys had a little more mileage left imo.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts