Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

· Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I get with the majority of their roster being new to the mainstream you do have to give some background for them, so they hopefully connect. But they seem to be overly relying on non-kayfabe woe is me stories. Just off the top of my head

Brandi Rhodes has choking habits
Jimmy Havoc always being an outcast
Nyla struggles as being a black, native, transgender
Aubrey not getting her WWE ref job
QT big injury that stopped his push
To now Shanna being too far for Impact.
And I'm missing many more sob stories

At some point if everybody has a sad background it starts to stop being a sympathetic story. Like it works for a Darby because the sad moment of his real life uncle dying at least has kayfabe implications. Idk I'd rather they go more kayfabe with some of these interviews and undesirable to undeniable segments. As the woe is me shit is beyond wore thin.

· Registered
10,891 Posts
Re: Should AEW move away from sob story back stories.

That's the objective of the angle.

Each week on Dark one wrestler, ref, announcer, etc is going to tell his story.

Those people are ask to tell what happen in their life before joigning AEW and that's what they do….

Also for the people who don't like it, don't watch…..it's not hard.

· Registered
1,633 Posts

Those people are ask to tell what happen in their life before joigning AEW and that's what they do….

Criticism doesn't mean you don't like everything.

· The Empire will Reign again
18,485 Posts

Isn't that back story for literally everyone from the indies? "I don't have the look, WWE passed on me so I traveled the world trying to become the best wrassler alive". There are more people in wrestling with this as their backstory than there aren't.

If everybody is an underdog is anybody really an underdog?

· Registered
6,258 Posts

Why is every thread about AEW knocking them at this point. Why not post that the segment was excellent and put over Shanna. Also why not have pot shots at the people that body shamed her.

· Registered
486 Posts

Yeah it is getting repetitive. But it’s like a 5 min segment on a youtube show so it ain’t bringing me down too much.
Agree'd. If this was on the main show I'd probably agree with Shepherd. But this is on a platform you can skip once it comes up and I think it's pretty interesting. It's basically breaking Kayfabe and letting you in on everything on the inside. The equivalent of interviewing NFL players and 90% of them doing it for "My mama" or "My gradma". It's interesting stuff and it's basically a free, short, interview from the entire roster up and down.

If they put it on the main show and make it the soul of everyones character that's when I'd start worrying and getting annoyed.

· Registered
10,891 Posts

Isn't that back story for literally everyone from the indies? "I don't have the look, WWE passed on me so I traveled the world trying to become the best wrassler alive". There are more people in wrestling with this as their backstory than there aren't.

How many hours do we have to answer that question ?

· Sassy Southern
Bless Your Heart
8,780 Posts

...because we have to nit pick every little thing I guess.

The personal story segments are fine and it's not taking time away from anything else. There is more to some of them than "I was being overlooked and I fought hard in the indys to get where I am". They are doing these for the wrestlers too on a personal level. To let them have their few minutes to talk while the camera is on them.

MJFs is probably the best one so far because of his personality.

Havocs is still the absolute worst for me.

· Registered
16,623 Posts

Im all for the back stories of the real person,But i agree it should not be this contious trend of this happened to me bla bla.This is why so many people have issues these days, Something happened to them and instead of going through it and moving on it becomes their thing it becomes their defense for whatever and its not healthy.

But i love back story in various forms,It dont have to be sob story

· Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

They can't tell anything positive, by the 5th sob story it just starts to lose ability to connect, especially when they're shallow. Darby's story that pulls feels, I hadn't been signed prior to this isn't a tear jerker.

Exactly nobody's sympathetic if eveybody is an undesirable picked over soul. Plus it's only so much you can feel bad about an "I didn't get my dream job" story

Why is every thread about AEW knocking them at this point. Why not post that the segment was excellent and put over Shanna. Also why not have pot shots at the people that body shamed her.
There's plenty of positivity in the section general WWE this section is not

Anyway this sob story shit is a consistent complaint I've had and they keep going to this well of sorrow. I didn't think the segment was excellent. So what she got called fat. Is that nice no of course not. But her being too fat for Impacts liking for me has no legs as far as building a connection. The entertainment business caring about looks is nothing new. Instead of the fat bit, how about dig more into the pride you felt about being the first Portuguese woman to hold a Japanese belt. How about telling why you're ready to kill it in AEW. But the sob story shit is so over done at this point. Everybody shouldn't be trying to tell a sob story.

No i mean it's on YouTube so you can easily skip that part.
You can't skip YouTube live. And since Dark matches play into official records it's not throwaway viewing

· Registered
11,477 Posts

It's no different from sports when they feature a successful star athlete's sob story. I'm sure they did features on LeBron James growing up without a dad, etc,.

· Registered
37,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It's no different from sports when they feature a successful star athlete's sob story. I'm sure they did features on LeBron James growing up without a dad, etc,.
And those are boring too, same with the I grew up in the street because I had no guidance rapper story. That shit gets old after a while.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.