Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone here a fan of this style of puro? I don't hear it much discussed but I do love UWFi and Battlarts. The Tamura vs. Kosaka RINGS match is said to be one of the most famous and best shoot style wrestling matches of the 90s. While it does get repetitive (what style doesn't?), I like it for it's more intense bouts and flashes of greatness that occurs. I guess it also helps since I love MMA.

Everyone needs to check out Vader vs. Nobuhiko Takada in 8/18/94. It's amazing.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
I don't live and die on shoot style, and there are plenty of other styles I prefer, but from time to time I usually wind up watching pretty big batches of it. High end shoot style matwork is probably better than any other kind of matwork in pro-wrestling, although I generally prefer Lucha matwork.

The 6/27/98 Kohsaka/Tamura match from RINGS is excellent, but I think the Tamura/Yamamoto match from September that year (also happened in RINGS) is even better. Don't recall it having the same kind of drama down the stretch of the June match, but it's shorter and a total blast.

Watch as much Yoshiaki Fujiwara and Volk Han as you can. Fujiwara's an all-time top 5 guy, and that's not limited to shoot style (he'd be my number one in shoot style, though).

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, shoot style isn't my favorite but I do enjoy what I see. I will second Fujiwara being one of the absolute greatest in the ring ever. After watching his 80s New Japan and UWF stuff, I can say that he's absolutely amazing.

I also second the love for lucha matwork.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BattleArts is good stuff, any Ikeda vs Ishikawa you can find I highly suggest you watch especially the 4-24-05 match. And any Volk Han match is worth watching

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Shoot Style is cool every now and then, I hate watching an entire shoot style card though.

·
Ippo > TNA
6,454 Posts
I believe U-Style is a proper term.

And Akira Maeda. End of discussion.

·
Custom User Title
15,240 Posts
Haven't watched a huge amount of shoot and it's not my favourite style or anything but I really enjoy it. Been watching BattlARTS recently and it's great, Ishikawa, Ikeda, Otsuka, Usuda are rocking my world. Kiyoshi Tamura's a guy I need to look into a lot more.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just watched Akira Maeda vs. Nobuhiko Takada in UWF [11/10/88] which was voted as the #1 match on DVDVR's 80s Other Japan set and it's an astounding match. About to go watch the infamous Bob Backlund vs. Masa Funaki [5/21/89] match in which they start to really get angry and stiff the ever living shit out of each other.

I'm really starting to love shoot style. Give me this, lucha and American brawling and I'm a happy camper.

·
SNOWBLIND
7,529 Posts
Watch Funaki/Nakano from 7/24/89 if you want to see two guys hideously fuck each other up. Might be the best sub-10 minute match ever.

I loved Backlund/Takada the last time I saw it, but after the New Japan set I can't say I'm in much hurry to watch Takada again.

·
Banned
7,463 Posts
Watch Funaki/Nakano from 7/24/89 if you want to see two guys hideously fuck each other up. Might be the best sub-10 minute match ever.

I loved Backlund/Takada the last time I saw it, but after the New Japan set I can't say I'm in much hurry to watch Takada again.
it was great, Takada really wanted to knock him out

1 - 20 of 21 Posts