Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current creative plans call for the former Brother Ray to get a 'long singles run' as Bully Ray, a character he always wanted to portray. His former tag team partner, Devon, will also continued to be used as a singles wrestler.

source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I think it is a good idea. He has been effective so far. I see nothing wrong with it as long as Devon doesnt get pushed as well. Devon really struggles. It is very much like when the WWE split up the APA, JBL was a very limited wrestler that was great on the mic and he turned out to be a great heel for them and a champion whereas Ron Simmons kinda faded away with only the "DAMN" thing being notable in his post APA career.

I see Bully Ray much like JBL. I cant stand watching either of them wrestle but they are both highly effective heels and can work the mic as well as anyone in wrestling now that Rock, Austin, & Jericho are gone.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I think it is a good idea. He has been effective so far. I see nothing wrong with it as long as Devon doesnt get pushed as well. Devon really struggles. It is very much like when the WWE split up the APA, JBL was a very limited wrestler that was great on the mic and he turned out to be a great heel for them and a champion whereas Ron Simmons kinda faded away with only the "DAMN" thing being notable in his post APA career.

I see Bully Ray much like JBL. I cant stand watching either of them wrestle but they are both highly effective heels and can work the mic as well as anyone in wrestling now that Rock, Austin, & Jericho are gone.
I see where you could come up with such a comparison, but one has to wonder how Bully Rey would move into the uppercard organically. TNA for starters has the Immortal faction dominating the main event and upper-midcard for starters and JBL didn't face nearly equivalent to Immortal in his rise to the main event scene. JBL also had the advantage of a more versatile character of a rich, well-spoken jackass who used his money and connections to stay in championship contention and the uppercard. Bully Ray only works if he's feuding with either Devon or a face weaker/smaller than him and TNA doesn't have an equivalent to Mysterio on the roster in respect to a small and weakish uppercard guy (which disqualifies guys like AJ and Motor City who, although small, are not WEAK) which really stops Bully Rey from moving above the midcard like JBL could.

·
Banned
212 Posts
^
I would prefer to see Samoa Joe get a long run as well.
I understand that's your opinion and all but how the hell would Joe help the company at all with a long run? He is boring as hell now, he has not lost weight whatsoever, he is still very much not evolved and booking has nothing to do with it.

Brother Ray took his character to a new level. Joe obviously cannot.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
But nobody gives two shits about Bubba. Or Dvon. The Dubya Dubya Eeee tried this and it bombed.

Not to mention, well, as I said, nobody gives a shit over either guy. The feud so far just sucked.

·
Banned
3,146 Posts
It is very much like when the WWE split up the APA, JBL was a very limited wrestler that was great on the mic and he turned out to be a great heel for them and a champion whereas Ron Simmons kinda faded away with only the "DAMN" thing being notable in his post APA career.

I think that's probably because the APA broke up so that Simmons could retire.

·
Banned
212 Posts
But nobody gives two shits about Bubba. Or Dvon. The Dubya Dubya Eeee tried this and it bombed.

Not to mention, well, as I said, nobody gives a shit over either guy. The feud so far just sucked.
Results show nobody gave a shit about AJ Styles World title reign. Does that mean TNA should stop pushing him?

Nobody gave a shit about Sheamus in WWE. They still pushed him and continue to do so.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
This. Sadly, this company likes to keep bad feuds afloat for quite a while.
The feud itself could end soon!,I don't mind them staying split for a longer time......As long as they are dark matches-low card feud bound with no big push for any title/no big wins during most feuds!

·
Celestial Messiah
33,587 Posts
Results show nobody gave a shit about AJ Styles World title reign. Does that mean TNA should stop pushing him?

Nobody gave a shit about Sheamus in WWE. They still pushed him and continue to do so.
The thing about Sheamus is that he has POTENTIAL. His push sucked but the dude is awesome. He squashes people, he can wrestle seriously well, is huge, and he's getting better by the day.

Bubba is a fat sack of crap who peaked in 1997/1998.

JBL in WWE because he was underexposed before and Eddie saw hidden talent in him.

Bubba is pretty good on the stick, draws good heat, but in the year 2010 does anyone give a shit about this fatass outside of being in a tag team?

BTW the last paragraph cant be applied to Matt Hardy. Maybe Matt and Bubba can start a tag team together? "Fatasses nobody gives a shit about because they peaked year ago in tag team wrestling."

1 - 20 of 81 Posts